1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your phone breaks...Then what do you do?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PowerGuyG4, Oct 22, 2012.

1. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I broke my LG Xenon a few weeks back and had 3 different phones in that time period, each worst than the last. Only just yesterday did I realize what the problem could be. The internal cable connecting the touchscreen to the rest of the phone could have possibly been torn/severed/disconnected. So, I pulled the phone apart and lucky for me, the cable was only disconnected, so reconnecting it made the screen work again, lucky for me. Then, I was happy again. Had that phone for over a year, never failed me once.

When yours goes, what do you do? Do you go crazy then do something? And how many phones have you been through?

2. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

To tell you the truth, I've had a lot of luck with my phone so I've never experienced it being broken or not working. My sister on the other hand hasn't had a lot of luck. She recently got a Samsung (it's amazing) but before that it seemed like almost all her phones would stop working on here after months of using them.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I've never had a phone break even though I came close. A few years back I took my LG phone along with me for a swim in my bathing suit pocket, and yet it still worked.

My sister, on the other hand, drops her phones all the time, they're always banged up and broken.

4. Jared

I had a Motorola Razr through most of high school and that thing could survive just about anything. I went swimming with it, ran it through the wash, dropped it countless times, and even ran over it with a car and it still works just fine and doesn't look that abused. I had to put in a bag of rice a few times, but that was about it. Now if did any one of those things to my iPhone, it would be an expensive paperweight.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Do you have the iPhone 5 or an earlier model? Considering how expensive it was, I'm surprised at how fragile it is. I've had Motorolas, LGs, Samsungs, never worried about a thing, but with the iPhone 5 I'm paranoid about how easy it is to scratch and dent the aluminum- or worse.

6. Jared

I have an iPhone 5, I had the iPhone 4 for two years though and managed to keep it intact miraculously, not a scratch, though it did live in an Otterbox.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yeah, I've been wondering whether I should get some sort of tough case for the iPhone 5. I really don't want to since I had a bulky hard plastic case on my Motorola Droid X for 2 years and I hated it from a style and form perspective. Apple products are supposed to be stylish, after all.

8. Hawthorne

I have had the same phone as in middle school... does that make me so far behind... its one of those tough as nails flip phones :grin: its signal blows but other than that 7 years strong.

9. AlexisAnne

If my phone were to break, I'd probably curl up into a little ball, hyperventilate and begin mentally regressing until I had the mental capacity of a two-year-old... Um... Yeah. :dry:

I pretty much live on my phone. I've had several phones over the years from the first generation Razor (Which was crap. Admittedly, they did fix the issues, and after that, the Razor became an excellent phone, but I'd been kind of soured on it by my experiences with the first gen.) but right now I have an HTC Evo, and I absolutely love it. I've had take it in to exchange twice in two years, but with the insurance they cover it for free, so it hasn't been a major issue.

Years back though, I had a Blackberry Pearl. I loved the phone until the scroll ball started to malfunction (actually turned out to be a fairly common problem with the phone and back then I didn't have insurance. I was so naive :slight_smile: ) It might have been the most frustrating - communication related experience in my life. I ultimately ordered a new scroll ball on line, and well the fix wasn't perfect, it allowed me to use the phone long enough to get my discount on a new phone. I'm not normally into the whole self repair thing, but I NEEDED my phone.

10. Bolin

Nothing. My phone has been out of service for almost a year now, so I only use it as a makeshift iPod, and I use it to connect to open WiFi. At the very least, it'd be annoying having to listen to other people's radios when I'm in their car.

11. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When mine breaks, I send it away to be fixed ^.^ my first phone was a nokia brick (still works), replaced cos of age and terrible battery life (was my dads phone before mine), my second was a Sony Ericsson flip top, and I had so many issues with that. I think it was about 5 repairs in a year, the first of which was a month after I got it. Now I'm using a Nokia slide phone ^.^ I've dropped it (including on the road), pretty sure I've accidentally poured water on it.. Still goes ^.^

12. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your phone breaks...Then what do you do?
    Celebrate! Then pull its cord from the wall and throw it away (yep its just a land-line phone) LOL
    I hate the phone, it'd be nice if you basically didn't have to own one...

13. qboy

Every time I upgrade I keep hold of my old one - then when my phone breaks (usually something minor like the speaker stopping working or constant reboots rather than me dropping it down a ravine) I switch back to the old one and take the new one into the Carphone Warehouse where it gets repaired FoC on Sony Ericssons warranty scheme (Thank you EU for requiring both two year warranties on electrical goods and warranties which at least match the minimum term contracts!).

My first mobile, Motorola m3788, was built like a brick and hit the deck multiple times with no damage over it's two year life (my mum then used it for another half decade until GSM coverage started to get worse) - my Xperia X10i on the other hand looked like it had been in a war zone within a year of getting it! That said if my current Android fails I will need to get a new battery to use the X10 - it doesn't even hold six hours charge now.

My Sony Ericsson T68i on the other hand was replaced (by "Orange Care") 18 times during my 12 month contract - first one worked perfectly for six months then it stopped seeing the GSM 1800 networks (i.e. my operator Orange and T-Mobile One2One), so got that replaced and had a string of phones which were either DoA, had no working Bluetooth (essential as the signal at home was rubbish so I left the phone on the window sil and used a Bluetooth headset), failed with the same issue after a week, or had a screen which was smashed. When I switched to T-Mobile I mentioned to the sales person that I was upgrading as my T68i had gone faulty again and he said something along the lines "has it stopped seeing the Orange network again by any chance?" - "yup" - "that's a common fault - two minute fix just needs some solder on the aerial connector" so I took it too the market, paid a fiver, got some guy to solder the antenna on and got it network unlocked and it still works today! During that contract I actually got into the habit of keeping my Sony J70ie active and transferring contacts to it so when the T68i failed I could just switch my SIM and I was up and running!

14. timo

I'd cry my eyes out, pop them back in then cry them out again.

I'm kind of addicted to my phone. The idea of not having the internet in my pocket, with everything I ever need and more, and the idea that I can't make a call for help right away if I ever need to kind of worries me.

Luckily I still have my old phone. It's no smartphone so no apps BUT it has (lame) internet access and I can use it to make calls if my current phone breaks.

15. aeva

I've had more phones than I can count.

-one got put in the washing machine
    -one got stepped on by a 2,500lb ox
    -one fell off a ladder
    -one fell into a pucket of paint
    -one got stolen
    -one snapped in half
    -a few have just stopped working

Generally, when something happens to my phone, it's terminal, so I just go out an buy a new one. During high school I was using Tracfones (which are all under $20), so it wasn't a big deal. The more expensive the phone, the more spectacularly I seem to destroy it. The exception is my old Droid, which just died after 3 years.

16. Lewis

Only once have I ever fully killed a phone of mine and that time was pretty dumb on my part. I was in spain, about to swimming, I put my phone in my pocket and off I go (you can see where this is going) - I dived into the pool, non of the wiser and suddenly I see a floating object...I wonder what that could be! Long story short, it didn't work.

17. Average Joe

I've had six different phones so far. I only had problems with Siemens. It was few years ago. A thin black line appeared on the screen for no reason. Fortunately, it was repaired for free as it was still on warranty. Unfortunately, it took them almost a month to do it!! They promised they'd have it ready within one week.

I keep all my phones, so when my current one breaks down I just go back to the one I used previously, while the other one is being repaired.

For me, Nokia proves to the most reliable brand, even though I'm currently using a LG.

18. starfish

I call AT&T and try to convince them to let me upgrade early. Last time I had to pay a $20 early upgrade fee, but still got a new phone 4 months before I was eligible for an upgrade.

19. FunnyMonkey

Motorola Razr in H.S also you could not brake it if you wanted too best phone.
    But if my HTC evo4g broke I think I could cry a little. But I have not had a phone brake in me on I have a few back up phones.
    Sorry about your phone.

20. Mitchell

I'd probably be lost for a while. I am very task and goal orientated, and keep my calendar and basically everything in my blackberry. On top of that, I live on my own... so I really "need" a phone.