1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions about the new "Star Trek" show?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vega222, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you watched Discovery yet?
    How was it? Fascinating? Scary? Boring? or What?

I specially love it because it's the first Star trek show ever that has a gay character.

And i am translating its subtitle. : )

2. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't and probably won't since I'd have to sign up for another service just to watch it. I will say from the previews that the redesign of the Klingons look strange to me, but then again I'm used to the aesthetic that was established by TNG.

3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I understand, But if you've already watched TOS, You could see that klingons have a different appearance from TNG. I mean it's not the first time that klingons have redesigned.

#3 Vega222, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know they had a makeover between TOS and TNG, but ever since the latter series the Klingons always had a consistent look to them. Their design was tweaked a bit in ST: Into Darkness, but it didn't seem too drastic to me. Oh well, a new look for a new generation of Trek fans I suppose.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing your opinions anyway, Honestly i love the previous design of klingans myself too.
    I would give it a chance and watch a few more episodes then i can say how good or bad it is more accurately.

6. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually enjoying it so far. I like the fact that they're doing a serialized show and breaking tradition by focusing on the first officer instead of the captain. After the pilot, it looks like the show will be about Burnham seeking redemption after the events of the first two shows.

It seems to have a more dramatic tone than some of the previous series, and the actors are better. I think this is due to a whole new team of writers and producers. As someone who loved Star Trek, I felt there was a deterioration of quality in the writing which started with Voyager and continued with Enterprise. It was in a moribund state and half the plots were recycled from previous series and didn't have the same level of intelligence. I find Discovery to be a breath of fresh air. I hope trekkies wil give it a chance.

Also, I don't mind the look of the Klingons. Sure, it's a third or fourth version but they look more authentic than the ones we've been accustomed to since The Next Generation. The make-up looked phoney and pasted on. No wonder Q referred to Worf as Tortoise Brain!

It's still early days, but I have hope that this series will (to paraphrase a really crazy alien) "Make Star Trek great again!"

Just my thoughts.

#6 StarRunner, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always felt the same thing about the quality of the franchise gradually going downhill from Voyager on. Voyager's premise was interesting and had a lot of potential, but the writers wasted it on making the show more like TNG. USS Voyager should've been nearly a flying hulk by the series' end. Enterprise was meh; the design of the ship itself was cool looking, but the characters were mostly flat and uninteresting. I think that the probably the last good Trek series was DS9.

I'm glad to hear that Discovery is going good so far. I hope too that it breathes new life into the franchise.

8. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may just take some time for me to get used to them. At first I thought the redesign of the Enterprise for the reboot films looked weird, but as time passed and I watched the movies more I grew to like it.