1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YOUR online dating success stories

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tex st, Oct 21, 2013.

1. tex st

tex st Guest

Hi all,

What are some of the stories you have regarding online dating? How did you end up meeting that GOOD friend or a girlfriend/boyfriend? What worked in your advantage? What was the setting (or the website) like that made you feel comfortable?

What was reassuring that the person you were chatting with was friend/boyfriend/girlfriend material? What worked and what did you take as a good sign?

Tex :slight_smile:

2. StarNights

StarNights Guest

I haven't exactly been "dating" online, more like I met this girl at a lady gaga fansite and we started talking and that was about a year ago. And since she lives pretty much exactly at the other side of this planet from me, we haven't met and don't know when or if we ever will. However I really don't recommend internet relationships, since it has slowly broken and fixed and broken and fixed my heart so many times.. And this reply probably wasn't really what you were looking for but wellwell, my Little story :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. wanderinggirl

When I was trying to meet guys through online dating I felt like every single one of them was incompatible with me and that I wasn't attracted to any of them.

My first girl date lasted 45 minutes and we never talked again. I told her how when a guy asks me on a date I expect him to pay and she said "oh so you're one of those traditionalists?" in a very accusatory way. We found each other boring, weren't really listening to each other, and overall had very little in common. It was awkward and intimidating as hellll...

After that I very quickly met a girl I'm still friends with. I liked talking to her but wasn't attracted to her at all, and I think it was the same with her. We'd hug goodbye, but after 4 dates we hadn't even kissed and I was relieved that she wanted to be just friends. That taught me that not every date has to either be amazing or disaster; it can be nice but not romantically charged, and can lead to good things!

A few days after that I met a girl I'm still seeing. It was chemistry from the first date, and it took me completely by surprise. I would say it was a whole lot of luck, and it's worked out well.

What worked to my advantage was to let my guard down. I felt really nervous for the first few, and as I relaxed I became more myself. I'm a fan of casual dates, at least for the first few: drinks or coffee, nothing fancy. This helps me relax and get to know the person better. I once had a guy ask me to a really nice restaurant on the first date; it was really awkward and really expensive, and I was self-conscious the whole time (until the third glass of wine or so...) I've only used a free site, it was casual and low pressure.

We had a similar style of talking, similar sense of humor, attracted to each other, similar views on things. I took it as a good sign when I said something a little un-feminist as a joke, and she laughed. I didn't have to censor myself. I also took it as a good sign that when I wanted to hold her hand and I did it, it felt good, and she reciprocated, on the first date.

I hope this more or less answers your questions! :slight_smile:

4. LD579

Just a reminder, though it hasn't happened yet: please don't mention dating sites as we have minors below the age of 18 here. Thanks!

5. tex st

tex st Guest

Hey StarNights!

Thanks for sharing; just any kind of success story is great! Isn’t it great that we can meet people ALL OVER in the 21st century – whereas we could only dream about talking to people from part X or part Y part of the world!

I’ve meet quite a number of friends online before, and yes I see your point where relationships could get somewhat tricky. Online dating kinda adds a lot of pressure, it’s better to start as friends and have normal casual conversations, build trust and rapport

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2013 at 02:57 PM ----------

LOL, my first guy date was kinda like that, and I got the same “are you traditional” question

-- That’s a great realization, seriously! My last date was like that; where we managed to have a decent conversation about this and that, appreciate each other’s company and be able to live with that fact that nothing AMAZING has to happen. Just having a normal interaction with another human being is a WIN in itself 

Yes, this answers a lot of my questions! The best kind of meet-ups with people are the ones where you get to just chill and be yourself, and you don’t have to say a perfect thing to stay in touch, or even like each other :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your experiences and it’s amazing that you didn’t get discouraged and found a person you click with.

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2013 at 02:59 PM ----------

Thanks, better safe than sorry! :slight_smile:

#5 tex st, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  6. tex st

tex st Guest

strictly romantically like each other* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: