1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll give you one guess what my name is. :slight_smile:

And I chose it because I always liked it, I just figured it would be something I'd end up calling a daughter or something, but I'm glad it's mine! :slight_smile:
    Also it means I keep my first initial. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for middle names, I haven't given it much thought yet! :astonished:
    Maybe I should keep the same initial (J) or just find something that sounds nice. :slight_smile:

2. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Same here, I havent given much thought to my middle name

Maybe Natalia?

So that wuld be Aliceandra Natalia [denied].

3. Estraven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use Estraven sometimes, like online as it's unusual, and sounds neutral. It's a pretty genderqueer name though, given the character in the Left Hand of Darkness...

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Cliff, eh? I don't think that's a very common name, either, but I like it.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Noah86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My first girl crush ever was on the character Cassandra from Wayne's World, and then I also idolized a girl from school with that name, lol.

I chose Noah because I felt it fit me. It's masculine, but it has a bit of a feminine sound to it. My "real" name is Kelli, which is sometimes masculine, but I've never seen it masculine spelled that way and I've NEVER liked it. My middle name is already gender neutral.

I actually haven't told anyone about my new name and I'm a little afraid my brother will use Noah for his next kid if it's a boy. He already has a son named Lucas, and just knowing him, his wife, and the name Lucas, I think they might choose Noah to go with it. I will be very sad if that happens.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a brief moment of time when I thought I was bigender, and my female side was named "Coraline". My Asus now has that name. I'm still keeping my male name because it doesn't really sound all that masculine, to be honest.

I do have an OC that I first drew in math class that I named Nikki. While my newest sketches of Nikki show hir quite content and happy, the first sketch was of hir doing a "Blech" face, because I was supposed to be focusing on Math work, but all I could think about was the incredible amount of dysphoria I was going through, and how much I hated not knowing what the hell I was, while everyone else just continued with life and aced math grades.

7. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom was either gonna name me Brandon or Gabriel, I felt Gabriel didn't fit me so I chose Brandon I feel it fits me, My middle name Is Deshun, I just took my dads middle name it sounded good.

8. kissedbystars

Ahhh, Dorian would be my name (though painfully few people know it ): ))
    Mainly, while I'm genderfluid, I consider myself a demiguy a lot of the time. (When I'm feeling more on the female end of the spectrum, I'm content with my birth name, "Catherine" but that's pretty rare). Dorian has a lot of meaning for me.
    First of all, my life was basically changed for the better when I got into Oscar Wilde. I was in a dark spot and reading him generally just made me feel better and enjoy life. So naming myself after one of his most famous characters was something that I liked. Giving that the name is actually fairly gender-neutral (and not that old) it helped. A girl character on TV has it, and Dorian Gray is a guy.
    The meaning is "Tempestuous weather" which is how I feel quite often. And furthermore, Dorian Gray is a very feminine man, and being a femme-presenting Demiguy it was like, DUH. And then the fact that Dorian is gorgeous as all hell and I have so much trouble with my body image, it helps me feel like a more beautiful person.
    Yeah sorry for the long post, I just have a lot of feels about my name.

9. Kirk1701

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've gone for Christopher. I really like the name and when I was testing a few out with a friend it was the one that fit, and felt perfect.
    I've chosen middle names as well, though I worry they are too much.

10. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I was thinking about "Nadeya(maybe Nadezhda) Bethany" to embrace my Russian heritage

11. Halcyons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Angel is my changed first name. I understand that it's considered a more feminine name rather than androgynous or masculine, but it just sort of clicked with me. For my middle name I was thinking maybe Damien.

12. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/123930-how-i-got-my-planned-name.html

13. juliegt6

I went with Julie Noelle, Julie because I like the name and Noelle seems to fit well with it and it's pretty.

My great aunt Julie (my grand fathers youngest sibling, he was ten years older) was awesome and she passed at 103 a few years ago but she was tough as nails and a very nice person.

14. Xirahii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My name is actually unisex to begin with, so there's that. But when you write it down, something has to be changed, so I changed the spelling to the feminine exclusive, Kori.

15. Emulator

My given name is gender-specific, so I take a neutral short form of it. But I'll keep the legal name as it is - too much paperwork and hassle to have it changed.

16. Sorceress of Az

Here is a hint to my name: Begins with an S, exists in the bible some where.

My Internet Aliases Each start With: A, T, E, and D but I use a wide variety.

My writing style is it's own in a lot of instances if you where intelligent my writing style would be enough to identify me.

17. Eevar

My real first name is pretty gender neutral (Sam), but I will be changing it for reasons I don't wish to disclose.

I've picked out Alice for my forename. I like how it sounds, how it's spelt, it's age (I have a thing for old names), and it's also the name of a character from my favourite Disney Movie (I'll give you 1 guess, and the book is a lot darker). I wasn't sure about it for quite some time, even though I kept on coming back to it. It wasn't until I came out to the second person that I chose it for definite, he asked "Have I chosen a name yet", I said well, sort of, I'm still not quite sure, but I keep coming back to Alice", to which he replied "as long as I can cal you Allie, its fine by me". At that I became certain of my name choice, I just hadn't considered derived nicknames before.
    I haven't yet chosen any middle names, as it would be nice to have some input from my parents (well, just my Mum I suppose, I'm yet to come out to my Dad and don't see it going well at all which leads me onto...)
    I will be changing my "Family name" too, though what to depends on how things go with my Dad. If things go well, I'll be changing it to "Eberhard" which is what my current name stems from. If things go badly and unless I find something else, Liddell, which as some of you may know is the surname of Alice from the book/film referred to above. When I came out to the first person we had a chat about names, and when I said Liddell, he said "well this is very much a through the looking glass time for you so it does fit" after laughing for a few minutes.

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother suggested Jack and James. I tried 'em in college and they didn't gel with me. I researched names on the internet and Lawrence hit me like a ton of bricks. It works well with my other names. One day I'll be as refined and mature as the name sounds to me. Got a long way to go! I would've loved a Viking name but I had to be realistic.

19. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Just switched up the spelling of my first name, Alessandra instead of Aliceandra.

My mum says that's how she spells it, so I thought it'd be fitting :slight_smile:

#79 ArcticPixie, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  20. anonym

anonym Guest

I can't decide on a name! For the sake of less hassle (the 'is that a man or a woman' look) and because I am still not sure how I identify as a man and how far I want to transition, I am thinking a gender neutral name feels right for me. Now I just need to pick one. Any ideas?