1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young Adult LGBT Meeting

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by user199, Mar 24, 2015.

1. user199

user199 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so i have been thinking of going to this meeting at the pride center. but always talk by myself out of it. In mid thirties now and think i wont relate much to bunch of 20 something kids there. personally i relate much better to the older crowd. however i have just gone into a shell last couple of years and not sure if the gay scene is for me. as a result i have mostly surrounded myself by straight acquaintances..

i know i cant form intimate bonds by hiding my true self from the world. ideally would like to be surrounded by mature gay men but don't think i can handle that as yet.

think being surrounded by younger gay men in these meetings might be a better options they might be in similar situations as me. plus it also takes away any possibility of something more.

Need inputs from the folks here what there experience in attending these meetings have been like..

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always learned something from somebody - always. Go for the meetings for a while see what you learn.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There should be nothing preventing you from going, it is so important to get out there and see what is happening. The crowd may or may not be for you, but you won't know unless you go.

If they are not for you, there would still be value in overcoming your fear and hesitation (and isolation), and who knows, you may actually meet someone cool...

4. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi User199

Just go for it. I'm 55 and had the same reservations about joining a support group and whilst it's true that most of the 30 - 40 guys that attend each week are 20 - 30 years younger than me we all get along just fine. I'm young at heart and have been reborn a teenager so many of the struggles I have about becoming a fully fledged gay man are also shared by the younger guys so we are all going through the same shared experience.

When I started going in the summer of last year I told myself that like it or not I was going to attend 6 meetings before deciding to quit and try something else. By the end of the first meeting I just knew this was for me and have been going each week ever since.

SGG

5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SaleGayGuy I suggest a gay themed movie titled Beginners. See link below. It's about a gay man who married and loved his wife immensely. The move is based upon real facts. It's very touching.

Amazon.com: Beginners: Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Mike Mills: Movies & TV

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 10:41 AM ----------

I agree 100% with greatwhale and it's pretty much what I stated in my first post on this thread. I'd love to find a gay support group but to my knowledge no such group exists where I live - Remoteville USA.

Additionally I've read in a psychology paper, that people who have been traumatized basically start life there the trauma started, once the trauma ends. (few) So user199 your are basically an adolescent.....go for it and live.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Pride center around here has many more older people who hang around than "20 somethings". Why not go and see who is actually there before concluding that you won't have anything in common with the people who show up. You might be surprised how accepting people can be when they are looking to make friends. I hang out and play racquetball and ride bikes with kids who are in their early 20s all the time, and they don't seem to care about my age.

7. user199

user199 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks everyone..it seems i have made it up way too much in my mind..