1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love writing, too. I'm currently working on a book, and I hope to publish it before high school graduation. It's nonfiction and is about objectivity and how to see truth as it is without becoming depressed or biased.

Sometimes I don't have time to write, as school makes me quite busy.

2. 101DeadRoses

Good job, hun! I certainly had a bit of trouble with character introduction last year....

I hope you feel better. I know how horrible depression can be.

Sending hugs and love! (*hug*)

#462 101DeadRoses, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. 101DeadRoses

How is everybody doing? It's gotten lonely on this thread... There's no-one to mommy!

Anyway, I found some wonderful writing prompts while looking for some ideas for my book earlier, thought I'd share them with you guys cause I kinda love ya;

Creative Writing Prompts | WritersDigest.com

365 Creative Writing Prompts - ThinkWritten

writing prompts

Creative Writing Prompts and Exercises | The Time is Now | Poets & Writers

180 Journal Writing Prompts: Enough for Every Day of the School Year

https://www.theteacherscorner.net/daily-writing-prompts/

Writing Prompts That Don't Suck

Creative Writing Prompts

Writing Prompts - The Writer

I hope I helped with someone's writer's block.... I have a nasty case myself right now. I was all wrapped up in the moment in a scene in my book, then abruptly quit in a high-charged moment, and haven't written in weeks, so I have completely forgotten where I wanted to go.
    Well, crap....

4. ruby421

ohhhh i really want to write but i have been so stuck in my head, and i really want to write something great and probably very gay but i feel like the only experiances i could pull from are mine and i dont want the book to be a journel so i have no clue, any ideas?

5. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After weeks of procrastinating, I finally worked up the determination to work on a query letter. It's still a rough draft, but it feels good to be productive again after a month of severe depression.

6. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I almost screamed when I saw this thread.

I'm currently working on a children's book about my transition/life
    I have an illustrator and an editor.
    It's been in the works for over a year now..but I'm gonna send it to some publishers once I get all the illustrations done!!

#466 iamjustababy, May 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  7. JustJJx

Currently working on a comic book series! It's a post apocalyptic Mad Max/Fallout inspired series about queer WasteRanger Kasey and her robot companion Copper as they navigate and explore the Hinterland!! :grin:

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got a lot going on. One script is almost done, and another is being chipped away at slowly.

My only fear is that the dialogue sounds wooden and unnatural. #WriterProblems

9. JustJJx

One technique i use to find my characters voice and personality is to think who would play them in a film or tv show of what your writing...i find that really helps me figure out how my character speaks and interacts with the world :grin:

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone else act out their writing as they go? Or, is that just me?

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With my anthology, I've been doing that for a batch of my characters--which has helped a lot to give them some color and personality. So the fears I have kind of form into some other issues;

1) I'm not the most articulate person out there, so I don't have the strongest vocabulary to express my feelings/ideas/thoughts properly (which I'm not if that can be attributed more to me being a very shy and quiet person, or it's a symptom of medical and mental health issues I have). I have this fear that's going to carry over when I get into the director's chair, and I won't be able to eloquently give my actors a solid idea as to how to take things.

2) Another issue is that I'm worried my dialogue is going to end up being cliched, contrived, and predictable. I want to get my name out there as being a new "master of horror", and it would royally suck if that comes crashing down because the viewer knows what's coming--something I chastise Hollywood for a lot with how things are now.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine that dialogue woes come from forcing the speech to advance the plot at all costs. Clearly this sacrifices the realism and sounds horrible.

My own way of avoiding it is making sure I'm in the character's head. I know what they want, what they're feeling, and the background which built their speech mannerisms, so essentially, I don't come up with what they say. They do. All I as the author put into it is little nudges to keep the story on course.

A good exercise for learning dialogue is to write fanfic. Grab some existing characters you love since you know how they talk. Their canon serves as a baseline for making that character act in a new story. Once you get good at extending other people's characters, you can start making your own and letting them out in your original setting with confidence.

#472 Argentwing, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  13. Jellal

To help motivate me to write more consistently, I now pledge a promise to this holy thread.

When this summer is done, I shall return here, and tell you how many pages I wrote.

Until that day comes, I will not post in this writer's thread.

Toodles! And best luck to you all!

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, not just you. I do it too.

15. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My story in my head is a lot more exciting than it is on paper, has been for the last 6 years that I've been trying to write it; got more action in than when I first started writing it. I wish there was some sort of thing you could plug into your head and upload it all into writing on the computer. Maybe that's an idea for another story. But I'd like to get this one done. The only story I completed is one I was ''writing'' [mostly in my head being worried for our future] for 7 years and I only got 4,000 words and not very much development of characters.

I just need to get writing, really. It all starts great, but it kind of drifts off after the first paragraph.

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely guilty of this; especially when I imagine a character's facial expression to be and I find myself mimicking it. So glad I don't write in public. People would probably think I was crazy. :grin:
    Oh, wait, I am crazy, but that's beside the point.

#476 ThatBorussenGuy, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  17. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just discovered this forum and thought I'd say hello! I'm writing fairly often at the moment because I've got more free time now that I'm on exam leave, but when I do get writer's block it's super annoying and can take days or even months to shake. I write poetry and short stories and I publish them on deviantart. Does anyone else on here use deviantart or other websites to publish their work?

I like to act out my writing as I go sometimes, especially with my poetry, but other times when I'm writing short stories I just let ideas sit in my head for a couple of days as I work out basic plots and characters and features. I'll also have ideas for things that I want to write about but it can take months for me to get ready to do anything about it.

One problem I have with my short stories is that I really enjoy character studies and descriptive writing, but I'd like to try writing things where the plot and story is the main focus instead. The trouble is that I have no idea where to begin in creating good plots or story arcs, and I'm also worried that if I do too much planning in advance then I'll just get bored and give up before I even start, as I am wont to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, thanks to 101DeadRoses for the prompts. I'm always on the lookout for them and these'll probably be pretty helpful.

18. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I been writing the same series since years ago (of course with tons of gaps that i take a break and loads of modifications to them, on my signature is my wordpress blogs, happens that i placed them free for download on Kindle for 8/9 starting since today, i'll put more freebie promotions soon ofc i want to keep writing the next chapters (ideas are bouncing) instead of focusing in marketing which is ''bleh'' exhausting, plus Amazon KDP doesn't allow me to sell them for only $1 that's why i set up a site to do it. Anyways, mine is a mix of horror, suspense, thriller, crime etc, the main arc is about ''Zombies'' :grin: is always fun for me, but however some chapters are plain focused on a wide variety of different genres, experimental i suppose, if anyone wants to read them for free i'll hand you my page link and if you can't find the way to do it i'll gladly send it to you by other media, hugs :lol:

19. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's finally coming together for me, but I just have one problem. I have the antagonist, and I have the protagonist but I also have a character that is similar to Curley's wife (from Mice and Men) in some ways.

At the beginning, I want the protagonist to meet with my antagonist. I've got that bit sorted. But I want to describe a character from the eyes of my antagonist (the antagonist's ex-friend) and throughout the story have the antagonist paint a negative image of them to the story's protagonist. (Hence, why they are similar to Curley's wife). So that this slowly rips down the protagonist's tolerance and the protagonist starts to see the World as the antagonist does, until she meets this other character...and yeah, I'm going to leave it there 'cause I don't want to spoil it.

Only problem is, I'm not sure what to do with this ex-friend of the antagonist. I mean, there's a few ways I could go with this. The antagonist could meet with this character and they make up and the antagonist reforms, or the protagonist could meet them- form a similar opinion as the antagonist only to later figure out that they misjudged them and that the antagonist is most likely wrong about them and they gain a better understanding of the antagonist/they are left wondering how true the antagonist is about this character, I could have neither character meet them but subtly hint that there is more to the case then the antagonist let's in on... I could introduce this character through another character... there's just so many possibilities right now.

I can see a clear ending, beginning and most of the main middle plot, but it's just this last bit of detail that I'm stuck on. Hmm....:eusa_thin

#479 Canterpiece, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  20. 101DeadRoses

Hello everybody! Terribly sorry about the long time away. I have been feeling SO TIRED for weeks now, and have not been in the mood to talk to anyone, so away I went, There's been so much going on....

Anyway, I should now be able to dispense my limited wisdom to the masses and hopefully not screw anyone up LOL.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2016 at 02:28 PM ----------

I hate to tell you, Spider, but it's against EC's rules to publicly post your full real name or a link to any exterior social media for the sake of safety, including this post and your signature.
    You are at risk for being banned for thirty days. I recommend you take this down if you still can before a Mod or Admin catches this.

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2016 at 02:33 PM ----------

That sounds awesome! I would totally love to read that. I'm working on developing a few ideas about robot companions right now as well.
    One is a robot whose body is a cola can, and her name is Zippy.
    Another one is.... well, he's a trash can.