1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers! Come and Talk About Writing!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I've written poetry for a while, now I'm writing a book (non-fiction) that I'm starting to grow accustomed to...

I also want to write a fictional book. The theme (superficially, before unravelled) is masturbation and the setting is a Buddhist monastery.

2. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    when I was a teenager, I let my friend read some poems I'd written. he handed my notebook back to me and called me a morbid mf'er, but laughed after he said it.

I've always liked the idea of being a writer for tv or films, but when I start writing ideas down I get sidetracked all too easily and frustrated if I can't write it out exactly as it came to me.

being a writer that writes sporadically at best isn't a very effective way to make it a career. too bad I can't earn any money posting on forums, that kind of writing comes pretty easily.

3. 101DeadRoses

Yeah, most of my poems are like that. :lol:

Calm down. It happens. Besides, most, if not all of your ideas will wind up completely different than they started. My book, for example, was originally intended to be this engaging, funny action with lots of lesbian romance and now... well... remember what your friend said about your poetry? :wink:

If short stories are your forte, try a book of short stories or writing for a magazine.

And how great is it? America now has marriage nationwide!
    YES!

4. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i write some shit. generally transgressive poetry, flash fiction, socio-political satire based in alt society sci fi-ish concepts. and sometimes surrealist pseudo-intellectual rambles drenched in meta-trashtalk.

5. Jacko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I started working on a mystery/horror/thriller novel a few months ago. Its a dark contemporary murder mystery in a fictional small town about an hour outside of new orleans. I've kind of been trying to make my writing style part stephen king part donna tartt part my own individual style. I find that when writing a thriller/mystery you need to deeply and fully explain how your antagonist is getting away with whatever he or she is doing. Take gillian flynns gone girl for example. That was awesome because it had a crazy unexpected twist that was explained well enough to truly seem possible. But the most important thing I think in any book is character. If you cant get the reader to care about your characters everything else falls apart.

6. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

That's where it's at!

7. aguynamednick

thats a great idea to bring writers together around here i have always had a soft spot for writing poetry about romance like guys or girls i like or about difficulty with coming out ect.

any ways i have hit a really bad slump like seriously i havent made one poem in like 3 weeks and have no idea wat to say any ideas?
    ps. plz nothing like too happy and fun sounding thats not really my style

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2015 at 04:25 AM ----------

i have a new one i just thought of! plz be honest of wat u think i cant find any paper and really wanna get this writen down

I've hidden here for years,
    know practically nothing else.
    living within this little closet
    peering between the two doors
    no one sees me here
    that's nice in the beginning
    it's cozy, it's dark...
    too dark,
    the doors slowly turn to steal
    its warmth and comfort
    I once had here
    the dark
    its so cold
    no one can see me...
    i can barely see my true self.
    but no one else can either thats all that matters..

#187 aguynamednick, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. MrSkittles

All Summer Long I will be writing some books. I have one in planning and I and about to start. Its a LGBT themed a romance and focuses on the problems the LGBT community still face today. I am really excited to write it.

9. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I’m writing about a squad of futuristic warriors, living in uncertain circumstances. The world they know is being besieged by an alien race, and there’s only an elite group of soldiers who are capable enough, both individually, and technologically, to battle them. The main characters are a group of five people, all from the same state, and who have shared some aspects of their lives together. It incorporates interesting future technologies, like teleportation, which the soldiers use to travel around the world, and to other worlds in outer space, as well as traveling to an inter dimensional realm where nothing is stable, but the potentials are endless. New technologies and knowledge emerge from this realm at a surprising rate, things like force fields and invisibility. Visiting this realm helps to sharpen the skills of the soldiers as well.
    The story picks up in 2164, around 50 years after globalization was fully realized, and all the world is ruled by one government, which in turn is ruled by a shadow government made up of a small group of men and women with massive amounts of control, who use an invisible army to covertly enforce their agendas. As aliens begin to attack the planet, this special forces unit is called upon to defend humanity. The strange thing is that most of the human race is on the side of the aliens, the aliens having convinced them that they were actually trying to cleanse the world of human evils, when in truth they are seeking to colonize the earth. The main character has a larger group of soldiers under their command, as well as a group in training, which makes things more interesting, because of the dynamics of the group, as well as the dangerous nature of having trainees involved in the mission. The contrast between worlds is amazing, some are peaceful, others are violent, some are midway between, each has different climates and spicies, but Earth is where the soldiers have to stay for most of their time. They learn things by visiting each of these worlds, by experiencing their landscapes, interacting with their people, and learning from the great masters of each world.
    The main characters have a lot of different things going on between them in the group. They’re extremely close as friends, some romances develop, and partnerships on various levels & ventures. The story jumps over different time periods, going back to the youth of some of the characters, as well as jumping forward to when they became reunited. Some were lost on a different world for years, only able to communicate with the others via radio wave, but not able to hear back, until they found a newer technological platform, which was invented by some of the planet’s masters. I’m thinking of incorporating some domestic scenes, taking place during another point in time as well, to balance out the different elements of the story, as well as add some peace and tranquility.

10. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -peeks-

I mainly RP when I write, real life. But I'm in the process of a gay romance novel that I've been stuck on so I doubt it'll ever get finished.

I get muse per character. It's awful. And I have a couple that hog it all.

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, hi. :slight_smile:

I write mostly fanfic-romance, usually with angst and sometimes action and the like. Romance and angst are always there, though. I like writing and reading betrayal stories-problem are, for those types of stories, I need to think of whole new characters and personalities, and although I have them in my mind, the moment I type it down, it becomes all jumbled up. Another problem is that I need to have a 'drawing', of some sort, of my new characters and personalities. I've never been the best artist, so I have problems with that, too, since when writing I can't seem to remember characters and plot at the same time.

Add major writers block (okay lazy and busy) and yeeeea.

Actually I was writing a story-a dystopian universe, a 'perfect universe'. Where previous criminals are caught and either killed or made into a killer by an organization (Organization of Sin Atonement, OSA). (Depends if they repent) OSA is in cahoots with the government, in order to 'maintain peace'. The story follows a girl from OSA, who falls in love with a guy from a opposing organization, one which plans to shut them down to show the true colors of the government.

It's action, romance, angst, and some gore. I haven't been able to get far with that, though...

12. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm currently writing a novel ( or at least trying to) which I can't really describe without spoiling it... it has heavy themes of death and anger/ trauma and more subtle themes of developing feelings and relationships if you read between the lines a bit. It includes a lot of the 5 stages of grief idea.

The problem I'm having is with the 'in between bits' I can write the active scenes really well and the pieces that move the novel along, but I'm struggling with the less active parts that I need to beef it out. I'm not sure how I'm meant to fill the gaps... I can't just do constant action and description, but I can't think of what other scenes would join them together well.

13. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god, writing. One of the few things that I consider myself knowledgeable about.

Not that I'm a fantastic writer mind you. I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt and say I have a good imagination. But when it comes to turning it into physical form. Well, that's where it gets tricky for me. Still, it's a passion of mine.

I'm not going to bore you about my ideas (I have too many of them anyways). However I am someone who is open to critiquing other people's plots/ideas. I implore constructive criticism above all else. I don't like being nasty, but I also don't like telling people that their stories are flawless. Because there hasn't been a story yet that could be classified as perfection.

So if y'all ever want an honest and informing review. I'll be here.

14. darlig ulv

Are there any other screenwriters here? I've written one screenplay - a Western - and entered it into a contest in May. I'm currently working on two other projects, but am focusing on one in particular since I want to crowd fund and direct it. That one is about a stage actor who slowly begins to think that he's committed the same crime as a character he is set to play. The other is a dream project of mine which I won't divulge. I want to direct more than I want to write, but only one of those is within reach.

15. Natasha Elyssa

I have random ideas and stuff just pop up in my head. I picture a whole cinematic event and write it down or type it. I use this to write music videos, movie scripts, story ideas, skits, etc. It's pretty awesome what I can do with the power of imagery and thought. :slight_smile: <3

16. peachypikachu11

Out Status:
    A few people
    Can some one help i am stuck in the darkness for too long ...ive been in this room for to long ..i am Jane Lockwood ive been locked in my room for my whole life my father doesn't want me ti see the real world for there are too many bad people ...thats how i lost my mother ... he clams im a princess but treats ne like a peasant. ..............."jane are u there?what am i talkimg about you are in there and i know it not open this door this instant young lady !" The old door squeaked as it slowly opened revealing a malnourished child
    . "get dressed jane we are moving to America " father said with a emotionless face as he grabs the collor of my nightgown "this will be the only time you see light" he said with a cold stern voice . Father went from being a protective man to a violent and abusive man......

So how did i do so far dont worry the ending i have planed is amazing

17. 101DeadRoses

Live, thread, live!

I'll be writing in this thread, but not write now (see what I did there?... heheh... anyone?) as I am already considerably late for my exercise routine and have a lot to do later too, including writing.

Write on, ya weirdos! (I'm trying out a catchphrase, shut up)

18. Spacewalker

About 6 months ago I was able to write poems and stories and texts of all kinds and just went with the flow but these days I just can't write. I guess I can only write when I'm hurt or bad and not when I'm good and peaceful. God but I rly want to write and I started some stories a few times but I just can't seem to continue them.
    Does anyone have an idea how to overcome this?

19. RainDreamer

Well, you have to get inspired by something else, rather than just writing to release your pain. Find something really important to you, and writ e about it. Turn that negative energy around to something productive.

I used to write about how horrible this world is and how much I hate it. Then I ask myself, "What do I want to do then?" And so I start writing about how I would change the world, about my dreams and vision.

There is nothing wrong about writing to release pain, of course, but it gets addictive and it makes your writing stuck in place without a way to improve, because you just keep on writing about the same thing over and over again.

20. Spacewalker

Wow ok. You just opened my eyes...
    Thanks a lot for that! I'll definitely take that advice!!:slight_smile: