1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you delete a Facebook friend if they were against gay rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Would you deleted a Facebook friend for being anti gay?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. It Depends

64 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. No

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Ashleigh16

I wouldn't because you can't help them see the light if you aren't friends with them. But I had a friend who lost quite a few followers after posting in support of gay rights.

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It would depend...
    If they posted tons of homophobic/bigoted stuff, they yes I would.
    If they kept mostly quiet about it, then nope.

3. BiPenguin

No, I wouldn't. I don't agree with the mindset that those who disagree are bigots for merely disagreeing. Bigotry doesn't come into it until their views are made of nasty, vile, disgusting pov's and they start referring to acts of pedophilia and beastiality, etc. It is the latter who I view as bigoted.

4. unsureofmyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As long as they are not trying to set you "straight" or insulting, offending, threatening, mocking you or annoying you about your sexuality then I would keep them. If they were doing any of the former, however, I would consider unfriending them. It really depends on the situation, to be honest.

5. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it just me or has anyone notice the results to the poll change noticeably in the last day or so?

When I voted, it seemed like a larger proportion of people were in the "No" or "It Depends" categories. If that's the case, could it be that proliferation of LGBT support declarations like the Facebook rainbow filter have made anti-LGBT attitudes less acceptable? Even in such a short amount of time?

6. timo

It depends on how much I'm confronted with their backwards views. If they keep it to themselves - fine. But if I have to see their shit day by day I would be done with them very soon.

Good thing that my circle of good friends is a homophobe-free zone.

7. LazyBirb

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I had a friend who was anti-gay, I would try to change their mind first. The whole "people have their right to opinions" thing is shitty, and whoever says that doesn't know that opinions can be harmful and or right and wrong. Though if I couldn't change the mind of the friend, I drop them like sandy rocks. ^.^

8. ok455

When the gay marriage bill passed in all 50 states people posted some pretty homophobic stuff on facebook. You can disagree and i respect that but when you start saying some homophobic things and calling people names then i have to either delete you or un follow you.

I had one guy on my list pretty nice guy and he started saying stuff about gay people to the point people reported him. I had to delete him off.

#88 ok455, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. kem

kem

FUCK. YES. I would...

but unfortunately, those who are currently against gay rights are family. and you know the old saying about family: if you add them on facebook, you can never unfriend them again.

10. BookWriter1994

I deleted my once call friend. It was because I came out to her and she was like one man and one woman should be married and we cannot be friends. we stopped talking for awhile and like everytime I would go on there she will make posts about how God loves everyone and stuff like that. I got very mad when she posted stuff like that and I confronted her about it and she was like I am just putting it out there because I was going through some stuff. I called her a hypocrite because she said that God Loves Everyone. and I told yes he does and that means he loves gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender. and I was like so what if your kid turns out to be LGBTQ+ and she was like that doesn't concern you it's between me and the father. and I was like wow. I finally realized what kind of person you are we used to be really good friends but now we are not because you are closed-minded. I told her that I know plenty of Christians who also supports LGBTQ+. I told her Bye Felicia and deleted her off of facebook

11. Heyitsme

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were to start going on Facebook and reading my newsfeed regularly again, I probably would unfriend someone if they were against gay rights. I don't want to be associated with people who are against me being able to enjoy the legal rights that 95% of society already has. Life is too short to be spending it on toxic people and toxic ideas.

12. souverian

Depends who you're friends with, really. All very contextual.

13. Oh Lilac

I would delete them and distance myself. Most people I know are supportive, and if they aren't, they just keep their mouths shut and I wouldn't really know. That is fine with me.