1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you delete a Facebook friend if they were against gay rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Would you deleted a Facebook friend for being anti gay?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. It Depends

64 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. No

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. Thedistra

No, unless they were being particularly vulgar about it.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may be the only person here who has never had Facebook.

The guy behind the company looks creepy, and the thought of the likes of him mining my data for $$$ gives me the willies.

But I don't have homophobic friends IRL, and I wouldn't have them there, if I was there.

3. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a Facebook, but I don't really use it that often anymore. But you best believe that I would delete them if they had those kind of attitudes. I don't need that kind of influence in my life.

4. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends. If they just disagreed with it and never said anything more than that, then I would most likely just keep them as a friend.

However, if they disagreed with it and constantly put gays down on a regular basis and was just a plain jerk about it, then I would most likely remove them, yeah.

I've never been in that spot though, and I never hope to be.

5. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

It doesn't matter whether or not they're forcing their beliefs on me. I don't need that kind of influence in my life, period. If you don't agree with it, then I don't see why you deserve to be a part of my life. It's my life, and I'll live it however I want.

#65 AJ56, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  6. Gallatin

It would depend. If someone was lamenting the SCOTUS decision, I probably would just keep on scrolling through my news feed and pay them no mind. But if they were expressing thoughts along the lines of "gay people are disgusting, fucking fags" then yes, I'd in all likelihood remove them from my friends list.

But really I pay so little attention to Facebook that I'd probably never even see stuff like that even if it were posted by a friend.

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I think it's absurd when I see people on my friends list, who are black, who are against gay marriage. Like, were you not just complaining how black people are treated unfairly. Yet, I've heard them talking about sending all the gays to an deserted island and killing them all. Like, WTF?! Are you kidding me?!

Or they will say, to put it nicely, I suppose, "I don't agree with it, but...." But nothing!!! They're entire argument becomes irrelevant at that point.

Btw I'm loving the new feature to change your profile (thumbnail) picture in to beautiful rainbow colors.

#67 pinklov3ly, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Dextoid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a fair point, but for me social media is something I do in my winding-down time. I don't want to have to justify my own existence to someone in my spare time. It's not fun, and sometimes I just want to hang out. There are times where I'm in the mood for a debate, but more often it just annoys me that I am somehow supposed to be compelled to push for social change 24/7 just because I'm me. Sometimes it's best, for my own sanity, to leave society-at-large at my front door. And off of facebook.

9. The Wallflower

No, of course not. I only delete people I never talk to. Why have them on your list if you aren't communicating at all?

I have good friends that don't support my sexuality, as hard as it is to believe...

They were raised to have certain beliefs, and you can't expect them to just change their minds in an instant.

I'm agnostic, but I'm not just gonna stop being friends with someone because they're atheist or christian... :lol:

If they were being especially hateful, I would definitely delete them in a heartbeat.

10. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is actually an interesting post. Truth be told, I am not deleting mine right now because of this reason. Once I'm on my own and have my life more on track, I want to be able to give them a choice. Let them know that they are hurting people if they want to delete me from their life, and how their actions affect people and all that jazz.
    You never know...
    BUT, I do understand just removing them from your contacts. I have been so tempted. Because sometimes that is what it takes you keep yourself healthy and protect yourself. Especially if you are surrounded by it very often in real life and need to control the people around you a little bit more. :slight_smile:

Have you actually changed someone's mind that you know of by doing this Simple Thoughts?

11. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If someone is against gay rights I have no interest in being friends with them. In non-sugar coated terms, to be against gay rights you have to be either monumentally ignorant or stupid. Saying you're against me having the same rights as everyone else isn't some differing political opinion that can be reconciled, it's fundamentally disrespectful and almost unhuman. I'd treat them the same if they had the "opinion" that blacks should sit at the back of the bus or be segregated.

Republicans, (some) Christians, and homophobes want us to "tolerate" their intolerance and concede that being against gay rights (or rights for any other minority) is an acceptable position to have and for us to "respect others beliefs". I can't respect anti-gay beliefs any more than I can respect racist beliefs and people shouldn't act like it's a mere "opinion" or "belief" that should be respected.

12. Pie

Pie Guest

If they don't respect what I am, they are not my friend. If they don't understand being gay, fine. If they dislike it, think it's wrong, etc. they're out.

13. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

14. C P

C P

No, I would not delete them over something I feel is petty(unless they were constantly making hateful posts).

...and I see an endless amount of lgbt people who treat black people and others like shit.

Such a loving world we live in, eh?

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on how close they are.

16. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have nothing wrong with people stating opinions that I don't agree with. If they bombard me with messages about how wrong I am, then I have a problem. Luckily, most of the conservatives I know fear me and the others are just respectful and sensible.

17. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you! Well said!

18. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I tend to drive off anyone who is not a flaming liberal.

An example of the kind of person I am, when it comes to politics, is that I was once in a conversation with a homophobic conservative, and that person attempted to belittle me by saying, "You know I only find you amusing. You are a lot of laughs!" and I responded, "I would not be talking to you this way if I felt there were any risk of doing you injury. You are therefore fair game for venting my spleen, and I am probably enjoying it more than you are." After a few hours of rambling to that person in a sort of thoughtstream general rant, in which I eventually started just idly discussing whatever was on my mind at the time, he said, "You are getting boring, so I'm going to delete you now. Bai!"

Sleep lost on my part? None. I am certain that the feeling is mutual, which works out fine for me. If not? Oh, too bad.

#78 Christiaan, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  19. Gandee

Gandee Guest

If they are anti-gay, I'd keep them around. I always know where they stand. But...

There are several things which make me want to go to the toilet:
    -Posting pictures of your selfies and family, liking your own posts, then start going with captions such as these: I have such a beautiful family, I thank everyone, my dad is getting a promotion, ooooh my kids are the greatest, sweetest, smartest, I wuv you <3 XOXOXO
    shut up

-Posting pictures of your partner, liking your own posts, then start going with captions such as these: you're my life, you make my life a whole lot more colorful, you look like an angel when you sleep, I can't imagine a life without you, I wuv you so much <3 XOXO
    shut up

-Posting pictures of (communism) party, liking your own posts, then start going with captions such as these: viva la communism, I enjoy a great life thanks to the party, today is Someone Important's birthday, so many many feelings I want to cry, I wuv communism <3 XOXO
    shut up

That's why I don't use facebook often.
    And to balance things out, I've probably posted something equally sinful as well.

#79 Gandee, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
  20. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends. But I would rather stay friends with someone who is very vocal about their own homosexuality than with someone who shoves their homophobia down my throat by posting anti-gay quotes or -pictures. I have to also add though, it depends on whether they're friends or family. It's a little bit harder with family, because I can't really separate myself from them. It's easier to break off a friendship (Facebook and in real life). I was unfriended by a few people when I came out on Facebook, but that's alright. I don't need them if that's their attitude towards someone's homo/bi/pan/transsexuality, etc.