1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you delete a Facebook friend if they were against gay rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dano218, Jun 26, 2015.

?

Would you deleted a Facebook friend for being anti gay?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2015.
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. It Depends

64 vote(s)
    54.2%
  3. No

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just thought this was a interesting question to post because of all the stuff going on on Facebook lately. For me it would really depend. I mean if they have personal opinion and they are not stating overly offensive things on their Facebook and especially if they are family i would probably tolerate it on some level. Maybe just block their posts while keeping some liens of communication open. But on the other hand i just want to say fuck you to all those close minded people stuck in the past or whatever. It is a complicated thing for me personally.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have Facebook friends who are against equal rights for gender and sexual minorities because I don't have friends who are so epistemically wayward that they can't tell good from evil.

3. MissMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    To be honest.. I deleted my entire Facebook account a long time ago, and I dont miss it at all.

No I wouldnt delete anyone based solely on their views unless I felt personally attacked by that. But of course we all have varying degrees of acceptance, and that goes both ways.

4. Posthuman666

Best response anyone will have.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have friends that are against equality, so I can't say for sure.
    If they were just against it, and had that "I don't agree that this is good but I don't hate on people" kind of attitude, then I'd keep them as a friend. If they were one of the people who always made anti-gay hate comments and liked homophobic posts, well, I wouldn't be their friend in the first place.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, either that or make it to where I can't see any of their posts and vice versa. I don't need that type of negativity in my life.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I dont know that any of my facebook friends are against Gay Rights but I'm heavily considering deleting most of them anyway.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I unfollowed one person today and argued with him and one other. There were many other skirmishes and fights that I avoided. Today is an especially hard day to be an LGBT Christian. I really don't know what keeps me going... Nothing is going right. I mean, I am happy that marriage equality is the law of the land, but I have soooo many personal issues right now.

It's hard to unfriend anyone b/c then they come after you and label you as intolerant.

9. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I started deleting all the antigay "friends," people would notice and start wondering about me. Hopefully I'll be completely out out of the closet one day, and then people will delete me themselves. When people constantly rant about their opinions and graffiti my wall with articles and angry blogs, I just hide all posts.

Basically, if they weren't obsessed with it and were willing to live and let live, I would leave them be.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But we shouldn't be tolerant. Tolerance of intolerance is what unprincipled conservatives demand.

11. MissMonster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    :eusa_clap Very well said :thumbsup:

12. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, not really if all they're doing is voicing their opinion. You're not always going to have friends who agree with everything you do. Now, if this person keeps attacking (verbally) homos and just hates the core of their existence then you'd probably be better off without that person.

13. thepandaboss

Well, that depends on why and where it's coming from. I will not have anyone who's openly hateful, attacks people, or so on for fitting into any group. I unfriend racists, transphobics, homophobes, etc. I actually don't really have any friends who are against gay rights but I do know people who are a little more on the fence. I can live with that if they're at least willing to accept someone for who they are, even if they're not exactly celebrating them. I will definitely unfriend someone who rants about people in a particular group. Hell, I've had family friends and family members come around because they got to know someone (me and others) who were openly LGBT.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Tell it, sister!

Yeah, either I'd unfriend them or point-blank ignore them.

15. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'd say close to 1/3rd of my fb friends are against Gay Rights and/or Marriage. But, I will delete anyone who is being obnoxious

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I would delete a "friend" if they were fervently against it and posted negative things about gay rights over and over. No I would not delete an extended family member if they did so -- as long as they did not personally attack me; instead, they would be unfollowed. If they post their objections to gay rights on occasion, it depends how they go about doing so. If they are against gay rights but don't talk about it (I.e. Are more tolerant or at least apathetic), I porbably wouldn't delete them. Just because someone is against gay marriage does not mean they have no value as a friend or person -- that's one facet of them.

17. Weekender

I wouldn't unfriend them unless they were crossing the line into hate speech, in which case I would go the extra mile and report them as well. I have no problem scrolling through dissenting opinion after dissenting opinion. At least it lets me see what the "other side" has to say on matters. If they come up with any spectacular and profound ideas as to why LGBT individuals shouldn't have the same rights as anyone, I'd like to be in on it.

18. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said~ I agree

19. guitar

I just cleaned house a few months ago with people who were posting homophobic, racist, etc. things. "Hide from feed" only works so well at times...

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah. They have the right to their opinion. If I'm friends with them, then it seems I'm overlooking their views anyways, so why should an online display of it elicit a different response from me?

That said, I don't tolerate news feed spam, and I delete anyone who fills up my page with controversial matters or drama. No one is safe from my unfriend hammer, regardless of your stance on lgbt rights, women's rights, racism, terrorism, etc, etc.

#20 Batman, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015