1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Advice You've Ever Received or Heard...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Alive

"You can't be that depressed. Sleep it off."

1. is doesn't work like that
    2. insomnia...

2. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    The main topic that springs to mind is things people say in regards to the subject of having children. What's funny/unfortunate about this is that these attitudes nearly always come from people who are parents themselves, yet still possess a careless approach to something so significant and life changing as bringing a person into the world.

A lot of such people will tell you, if you say you don't want kids or aren't sure, that you should "just go for it," or "it'll be fine." Because you know, everyone is naturally a fantastic parent as soon as it happens, and all those kids who grow up unloved or abandoned or with shitty childhoods don't actually exist do they?!

When I was in school we were informed that a woman would be coming in to teach us about teenage parenthood, looking after babies etc. Right from the start both me and my mother were dubious about this. We agreed with sex education and contraception classes but disagreed with the presumption that all teenagers (or specifically, I as a teenager) were all bound to go around having unprotected sex and dropping babies without a second thought any more than an older age group. But in the interests of fairness I decided to go along to the first class and see how it went. It mostly consisted of the woman telling us how she had had a baby at 16, showing us cartoons intended to make us feel judged by society simply for being young, and asking us to fill in forms with personal questions about when we planned on having kids.

Despite all of this, when I attempted to engage her in more serious discussion about if it was always a good idea to have children, her flippant response, in front of the whole group including the more impressionable teens who had said they wanted to start young, was to casually tell us that we SHOULD have kids, and that it was 'brilliant'. She said this in the same tone as someone talking about, say, going bowling or whether or not to have a pizza. Needless to say I didn't attend the rest of the classes, which from what I could gather involved lessons in baby care and assembling a buggy. I didn't see any of the other students seeming deterred from young parenthood as a result, and a couple of them even seemed more encouraged by the end.

Another contender for bad or rather unhelpful advice is: "Cheer up it might never happen." Amusingly, most times this has been said to me I was in a good or neutral mood, not a bad one, I'm just difficult to read sometimes. But what irks me about it is that obviously if somebody was walking around looking miserable, then the likelihood is that whatever 'it' is already has happened. For all you know, someone could have just suffered a bereavement that very day, and then some arsehole comes up to them and says "cheer up it might never happen."! It's passed off as a light-hearted remark, but really it's a lapse in common sense and respect for what's going on in other's lives.

3. DDDchu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The worst advice I ever heard is "no one will know so do it." Guiltyness eats at people, me included.

4. Zombi3

GUILTY...

But I only tell myself that though :lol:

5. QueerQueen

Something along the lines of "well at least you have it better than me" and then their situation when I would just like some comfort from a friend.. psht

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Met an old "friend-acquaintance" who I knew from my elementary school gifted student program. Turned out she was graduating and going to dental school with her fiancé. Then things took a turn for the worse as she learned I was going for a science PhD, lecturing me I'm too smart for my own good. I was really upset that a similarly gifted person could give such asinine advice. I'm mean, dentistry?! I have an aunt and two cousins who are dentists, but I would never choose such a mentally unsatisfying career. You don't need much smarts, just a steady hand...

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Don't study too much; enjoy your youth/You don't need such high scores/Getting into a good uni's overrated".

I've only received advice like that once in real life. But I've been told multiple times on EC that it's not that important. It really does annoy me immensely. Teenagers should be encouraged to start life on the best footing, not to slack off from doing their best.

8. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Your problems are just a phase, grow up."
    "Your sexuality was chosen by you, you broke my heart."
    "You should not think in your head! Write your thoughts out on paper! What is this piece of crap, are you stupid?" <---my old math teacher when I was having difficulties. I do say I'm doing well in Math now, so ha. .l. to u sir.

9. White Knight

Hmm somehow I feel like I am sitting on the bullseye about this one. :confused:

For me there is no advice as bad advice. People just reflect their own opinion/point of view on things... how you get it is all up to you. I guess it might be safe to say there are advices which turned into bad ones.

When I was young there were times I thought people crazy when they told me "it will pass", "you will get over it" or other usual things said to people and here I sit writing this message as a prime example of they were right.

However this thread reminded me I should keep my mouth shut more often.

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay well mine's a little different. When I was setting up everything to move to Japan last year I went to my Canadian bank to talk to the financial advisor about closing my account and moving my funds to Japan. I'd already done research so when I went in I specifically asked about a certain kind of cheque (cashier's cheque I think, I don't remember). The financial advisor hmm and hahed and then told me to start withdrawing my max. daily limit everyday until my accounts are empty.

I remember staring at him in shock and asking "You want me to withdraw every cent I have...and carry it around in cash, on my person, for over a month?"

And that's the worst advice I've ever recieved!

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Probably driving advice from my mom, who can't tell left and right apart half the time lol

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

An uncle of mine, who married into the family and was not blood-related, was assigned with watching me for a day and a half. I was 10 years old.

He's the type of fellow who likes to boast, about everything. How he knows the best way to walk, to conserve energy, how he knows the best way to open a car door, to not put too much strain on it, how he knows the best way to pronounce words, to not wear your tongue out. Seriously. He likes to shut people down with the most asinine of comments... it's... something else.

Anyway, he told me to mow his yard. I asked him if I'd be getting paid, and he told me no. I asked him why, and what does he say?

"Nothing in life is free."

Well, my 10 year old self is pissed. I, at first, tell him I will not mow the yard, without being paid. He sort of laughs and tells me, then he won't feed me. I tell him that's fine, I can go a day without eating. He then tells me, he doesn't care. I will mow the yard, and because he said so.

That pissed me off even more. Apparently, my "payment" was his watching/housing me.

I wind up mowing the yard... but I make sure, to do a horrible job at it (which results in a neighborhood citation fine), and to get his tools from the back of his pick-up truck to run over. Naturally, this destroys the lawnmower blade and many of his tools. When he finds out, he does the whole hands-on-his-heads routine, and starts to yell at me, cussing me out and asking me, why would you do this?

So, I repeat his terrible advice: "Because, nothing in life is free."

He could have just paid me something, but instead wound up having to pay to fix his lawnmower, the lawn fine, and for the new tools. I think he learned not to take advantage of me, and paid me when I asked, if he ever wanted me to do anything for him, from that day forward.

In elementary school, we used to be visited by a D.A.R.E. officer (does anybody else even remember D.A.R.E.?), who would come to the class and talk to us about drugs, gangs, and all that fun stuff.

One day, he was asking us if we knew anybody that did drugs. Nobody raised their hand, so he started talking about how, it was okay to tell him. There was nothing to be ashamed about. He then starts calling on people, asking them their opinions on drugs. All of them say drugs are bad, more or less. He gets to me and asks my opinion, and I just shrug. He asks me why I won't respond, and I tell him, because I was told never to talk to a cop without a lawyer.

Needless to say, he was rather surprised a 9 year old knew this. He then drops this nugget of wisdom:

"You can tell us police officers anything, and it'll be okay."

My response?

"Does that exclude my mom?"

He stopped talking to me after that, but I can't believe he was trying to imply, you could just tell anything to a cop like that. I knew better. I was raised in a home where, the police came around once or twice a year, and to usually arrest somebody. I knew better, and this is one of the more positive things I picked up from my parents; to keep your mouth shut, when around law enforcement, until you have a lawyer.

One of the few times I went to the school guidance counselor, because I wanted to see if there was a way, to make my anger easier to deal with, she and I were talking for a bit. She asks me, what I was angry about, and I told her... pretty much everything. She then drops this on me:

"Have you tried being more positive?"

I'm silent for a bit, soaking this up, and trying to figure out if she means well. Finally, I ask her to elaborate, and all she does is repeat this. I inform her that, that remark does not tell me how to be more positive, it just tells me to be more positive. That's like going to a mechanic and them telling you, fix your car, but not telling you how.

From this point on, she's semi-hostile. She tells me that I should be thankful for her making time for me, because she has so many students to see. After hearing this, I just walk out and don't come back voluntarily again. I knew what kind of woman she was, somebody who just talked at students instead of with them.

My father isn't a stupid man. He's emotionally incompetent, yes, but he isn't ignorant. Which is why our relationship is so frustrating, because he knows better, but still acts the way he does. However, even he cannot escape giving terrible advice...

I was about 7, and there was a girl in one of my classes, who was very pretty. I thought, hey, maybe this'll help my dad and I bond.

I tell him about this girl, and the conversation goes like this, basically:

Me: What do I do to make her like me?
    Him: You ignore her.
    Me: Huh?
    Him: Ignore her, so she'll become obsessed with wanting to know why, she isn't being paid attention to.
    Me: What if she doesn't notice?
    Him: Then she isn't worth it.

I was young, but even I knew that was dumb advice.

To conclude on a sillier note...

That same uncle from the beginning and I were outside, smoking a cigarette, when his cell phone rang. He answers it, gets into a mild scuffle, hangs up, looks at me and says:

"Don't ever get married."

I just shrug. I'm not really wanting to talk to him. He continues, until dropping this line:

"My first wife, I should have known better. But you don't know until you know. Remember that, you don't know until you know."

Needless to say, I cracked the fuck up at this. That is so after-the-fact and stupid, but I guess I didn't know that until after I knew that.

#32 Kaiser, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  13. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

this.

14. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

When I was talking about my social life, my own therapist told me I should stop talking to people on the internet because they aren't real people and that I would be happier with real human contact. I don't mind making more real life friends, but the whole statement in general shocked me.

15. MisterTinkles

"Just do it".

"Everybody else does it".

16. Randomcloud

I've suffered with depression and anxiety for the past 3 years (though recently it has improved tremendously thanks to medication and good CBT). The first person I went to get /professional/ help from was a local psychologist. She immediately assumed all these things about me and started coming up with theories like "your parents didn't give you enough attention as a child" "you have this personality type which is why you are depressed" O_O

Her "advice" was to meditate and be in touch with my five senses. Like, okay, maybe that's okay for general de-stressing but at this point I was basically planning my suicide and too anxious to leave the house most days. I am so glad I decided to leave after a few sessions because her advice was terrible. On the contrary, she made me momentarily lose hope in ever getting better since I was afraid all psychologists would be like her (thankfully not)

17. Aro

Aro

That is another really big one for me too, TigerInATophat. Brought up another one I am sure many of us have to endure. It's linked a bit to what you said.
    'You never know.'
    Or
    'You just haven't met the right person.'

Like they know you better than yourself!

I've had this said so many times to me by important people that I can't even count. Usually, it's because I've said I don't want kids. Recently because I came out as asexual and genderfluid as well. Along with blaming how I am on past traumas and everything in between. I hate hearing those two things as much as the first thing I posted.

#37 Aro, Jan 22, 2015
  18. PurpleGrey

So many things that shouldn't be called advice, and yet are.

"It's all in your head", "so many other people have it much worse", "you'll never land a partner dressed/looking like that", "just try harder/do better", "snap out of it", "you're so smart, so you can do anything you want with your life", "you must only not want to do X because you're afraid" (bitch, maybe I just don't want to do X because I don't want to!), "I'm older, so I know everything better than you no matter what", etcetera etcetera etcetera. Oh, and don't forget, "that's how it is in real life." When people say that, it usually means it's not how it is in real life, ever.

19. Quiet Raven

I was talking to my dad about wanting to take a course in learning Japanese. But he really wants me to take a trade. Something I don't have the least bit of interest in. He is very concerned about how much money I will spend taking this course, and he says I should take a trade because it costs less to learn. He tells me, "why don't you take a trade first, and go to that course later?"

Yes! Great idea! That course will cost way too much money, so let's waste money on something I don't even care about first (and will probably fail) and then take the one I want! That will totally solve the problem!

I never pay any attention to my dad's advice. Heck, he doesn't even listen to himself. One of his mottos is, "do as I say, not as I do." And proceeds to talk about how he never follows his own advice.

Not real people? So we are all just figments of your imagination? Lol 0_0

Or are we AIs? I guess that's it. That would make more sense.

#39 Quiet Raven, Jan 22, 2015
  20. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have a paper cut, put lemon juice in it.
    DO NOT DO THAT!!!! IT FRICKKIN HURTS!!!!
    Yeah but the worst advice I can recall actually been given seriously was from Advice Mallard who said "Minor in what you love. Major in what will get you a job."