1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering if apology will ever come

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Nov 17, 2015.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know the answer is (very likely) no, but I have to wonder, do ex-homophobes ever apologize? Do friends, relatives, etc., who deliberately took years of happiness and mental health away from gay people ever apologize? I'd really like to hear an apology, even though I know it won't fix anything. I just want for them to at least acknowledge what they did to me.

2. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose each case is individual but I would hope they can bring themselves to apologise.

Maybe they're embarrassed and hope it's all in the past. If they're very close and enduring relationships such as family members then it might be worth prompting them for an apology or at least acknowledgment of the hurt they caused. In a non-inflammatory manner.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience they absolutely do, even for pretty mildly homophobic behavior. It happened to me numerous times--my Father, for instance, cried when he apologized, begged my forgiveness and said he would understand if I couldn't forgive him.

4. CapColors

There's a group of former homophobic Christians who go to pride parades and such and wave signs around that are like I'M SO SORRY I WAS SUCH AN A-HOLE. It's a little strange but I suppose it's fine. Mostly I think it matters to other homophobic Christians, so they can see that attitudes can change.

5. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I still don't know what I'd say in that situation. I know I've written about forgiveness before, but I don't know if I could actually do it.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgiveness provides a path to internal peace.

7. 50ishandout

Yes they do. I have a friend who is like a brother to me. Over the years while I was in the Closet he would say some homophobic stuff. Of course I would tell him he should be a little more understanding and don't be so quick to judge when you don't know what someone's circumstances are.

Unbeknownst to me he had a conversation with my brother after my sister in law told my brother I was Gay.

The day I did my Facebook Outing he called me and told me he loved me and that ithe was time for him to "Grow Up ".

To this day he's been one of my strongest allies. So yes, a homophob can reform and repent.