1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering about getting my ears pierced

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nordland, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been wondering about getting my ears pierced but have a few problems

1. I don't know my schools standings on ear piercings, it is an all boys school.

2. I'm in the closet and most people associate ear piercings with being gay. This could be a plus though as an easy way to come out.

3. Not really sure how to convince my parents to let me.

Any thoughts?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want it just do it and don't look back!!

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I admire your "Gung Ho" philosophy, however I'd rather get my parents approval first, rather than walking through the door one day and saying, " Hey mum I had a great day at school, by the way I now have ear piercings."

Or I could take this advice to heart and just do it * rocky theme plays*.

4. Lyr

Lyr Guest

to convince your parents :
    First of all, it's going to depend on the size of the earrings (if you want it showy or not) and on the opening of your parents on this kind of style
    The best moment to ask them is when they are in a good mood and be nice (not in a suspicious way)

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think people associate being gay with piercings anymore, unless I'm really sheltered. So for that aspect, I wouldn't worry too much. With your parents, are they open about things like piercings? If they are, maybe convincing them shouldn't be too hard; especially if you snow them you're being a responsible adult and you'll take care of your piercings.

#5 Daydreamer1, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  6. Radiant Memory

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're able to you should. Just rock them with confidence and it'll be great.

7. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are open minded about piercings, my 12 year old sister has 2 on each ear. So that wouldn't be a problem. It's just down to the fact that I'm a guy, so it is viewed in a different way.

8. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would just get them pierced, if I were you. It's probably a good thing anyway if people know you're gay cause then you may attract other gay guys!! Unless everyone is homophobic, but I doubt it. Also, piercings look cool and manly. Just my opinion.

9. JasmineTea

Bring it up casually to your parents and see how they feel about it. That's how I do most things on the parent front, pfft. Keep in mind, too, that you can always take them back out if you don't like them or if your school says no- if that's the case, you could get them over the summer to let them set and then just not wear them during the school days starting next September.

10. Cedar

Depends on where you want to get them pierced, maybe if your parent's aren't open to the idea, you could try asking what they think of clip-ons or ear cuffs. Maybe try one or both of them out and see what you think of it. Also, try checking the handbook your school gave you, they should put the dress code in there somewhere. If your school has neglected to do this, try asking someone in the office(I don't know who you'd have to ask though, it depends on your school).

We can't really control how others react to things that are beyond their own normal "standard". In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to concern ourselves with these things. Express yourself the way you want to express yourself, don't let what others think of you dampen your actions too much. Be yourself.

11. 741852963

I think thats a very dated conception now. Certainly back in the 1990s ear piercings were uncommon amongst men and it was taken to be a gay thing in the absence of any punk clothing.

But now? In the place I work plenty of men have pierced ears, and they are in their 30s/40s with wives and kids.

Not to mention you now have a much greater culture of male body modification (with hipsters, emos, scenesters and skaters etc etc) with things like plugs being really common amongst men.