1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witchcraft

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kenn, Sep 28, 2017.

1. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OK, soo hopefully this doesn't get me banned but I have a very odd situation, me and my boyfriend broke up a couple weeks ago and I was fairly upset, but then I met another guy who was super comforting and I started to really like him so I've been hanging out with him and all of the sudden a couple days ago he told me he's a witch. I'm not sure how I feel about it, sorta confused sorta frightened, I don't know. I don't think he's trying to get rid of me or anything because he'll come over to where I am to hang out. What should I do?

#1 kenn, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a bit of lack of information here, as there are all kinds of "witches". Thus, you need more information before making a decision.

The most common type of witch in today's society isn't something you need to be frightened of. They are a peaceful, nature loving faith that believes in reciprocation of energy. Which means if they put out bad things.... they get back bad things (usually x3) as a sort of karmic backlash.

Your wisest course of action at this point would be to be non-judgemental and open minded. To tell him that you'd like to understand more of what his beliefs entail. From there, you can then decide if their values (regardless of difference in faiths) are a good match with yours, or if it's time to move on.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey kenn,

Do you mean to say that he is a Wiccan?

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't worry, I have a lot of friends who are into witchcraft and they're some of the nicest people ever. It's not a big deal :slight_smile: What he means by "witch", you'll have to ask. Some I know do tarot cards, palm readings and spells but some just worship nature.

#4 Spot, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he's like me move on. I'm a warlock and use black magic. I'm most skilled at destruction rituals. I don't believe in the 3 fold law. I can read tarot, and I'm also a touch-know.

If he's a Pagan in any form, I would say give him a shot. They are really peaceful people for the most part.

6. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi kenn:

I agree with the other posters: you need more info to determine what being a witch means to him so you can decide what that means for you.

Being a witch doesn't always mean bad stuff - I was being ironic when I chose my handle. It should really read (not so)wickedwitch!

In past times, witches were medicine women and men who had knowledge of healing herbs and practices and were integral parts of the community, assisting at births and deaths and all the other major events that humans experience.

Hi Jennifer M:

What's a touch-know, please? Thanks.

7. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Idk, he says stuff about seeing the future and only feeling heat in his chest, I thought I heard pegan or something but I could be wrong

8. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also I don't mean to offend anyone with this post I know that there's good witch religion s and stuff but the way he talks about it makes me uneasy

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey kenn,

What is it that makes you uneasy? Why not specifically ask him about what he means when he says that he's a witch?

If he subscribes to one of the Pagan religions/practices (Wiccan, Druid, etc), they are basically earth-based. Neither directly good nor evil, rather based on nature and the natural cycles here on earth.

On the flip side, if he is in a Satanic cult, you should certainly, in my opinion, reconsider your relationship with him.

DirectionNorth likes this.
  10. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok first off, the name "Satanic" doesn't mean evil. Look into Modern Satanism. Here's an article I have on my website:

AN INTRODUCTION TO MODERN SATANISM.

A Brief Definition of Satanism

When most people think of Satanism, images of Demons, Sacrifices, and Animal mutilations usually come to mind. After all that is what the media, and your local church has spoon-fed to the masses for years. Most people assume that Satanists embrace "evil", aren't capable of loving, and that Satanism is nothing more than inverse Christianity. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Satan by definition, it's true definition, is the Adversary, or the Opposition. We oppose the Status quo, and the closed minded herd mentality that fuels stupidity and ignorance like a social cancer. Instead we embrace Intellect, Objectivism, Individuality, and Rational self-interest.

You are the only person who has control over your life; no "God" will make your life better for you. It is much like Santa Claus; we are told as children that if you don't believe in him you will be punished by not getting any presents. Religions of all kinds work in much the same way, with the exception of Satanism. We do not believe in things we cannot see, and yes that includes "Satan." Why should we, that is not rational.

I'm sure you are asking yourself, "Then why the name Satanism?" The answer is quite simple. Throughout history all religions have only preached obedience and faith while Individuality, and rational thought has been condemned and called "evil". It wasn't that long ago that the Churches attempted to ban books that provoke thought, and make people think for themselves instead of buying into the church scams and guilt trips. Satanism is quite the opposite, hence the term "Adversary" (The definition of Satan)

A Crash Course History of Modern Satanism

The Origin of Satanism is traced back thousands of years in various false forms. In some literature Satanism is regarded as a literal worship of various Demons and Deity's, other times it shows up as Witchcraft where practitioners make pacts with Satan and are thus granted their powers. Yet in other forms, Satanism is akin to Voodoo or Necromancy, and even ancient Pagans were regarded as Satanists who again were given powers by "Satan." Nearly all of these cases are incorrect and had nothing to do with the true term Satan or Modern Satanism.

Modern Satanism can only be traced back to 1966 when Anton LaVey shaved his head, performed a ritual and declared the formation of the "Church of Satan." The religion (or anti-religion if you will) was composed as an answer to organized western religion and culture's repression of natural instincts and desires.

Major influences of the Satanic Philosophy are as follows:

• The Magick of Aleister Crowley, and the works of the Abbey of Thelema.

• The Cynical anti-theistic viewpoints and writings of Friedrich Nietzsche

• The Objectivism philosophy of Ayn Rand

• The Comical and Social viewpoint of people like P.T. Barnum

• The brutal reality of Ragnard Redbeard's writings.

Prior to LaVey forming the Church of Satan, LaVey in the early to mid sixties would hold Midnight Masses at his Victorian home in San Francisco's Richmond District. It would attract many high profile figures from the San Francisco area, which made LaVey somewhat of a local legend. This is what caused LaVey to start the "Satanic Church" later renamed the "Church of Satan" (often referred to "CoS" for short).

In 1969 LaVey wrote the Satanic Bible, which would prove to be the bedrock for modern Satanism. To date it has sold nearly 1,000,000 copies worldwide and has been translated into several languages.

The Church of Satan thrived vigorously in the late sixties and early seventies attracting many celebrities including Sammy Davis Jr., and Jayne Mansfield to name a couple.

In 1975 many changes occurred within the CoS, LaVey had done away with the Grotto system. A network of sub-churches setup across the country. Some structural re-organization had also been done.

It was at this time that Michael Aquino, member of the Church of Satan, broke away from the Church and formed his "Temple of Set." Aquino maintained that LaVey had changed his stance from believing in an actual Satan to referring to it as more of a relative term. LaVey claimed that he had always referred to Satan as a "Dark force of Nature" rather than an actual deity.

Between 1970 and 1992 LaVey had written three other books. The Compleat Witch (Re-released as "The Satanic Witch"), The Satanic Rituals, and The Devil's Notebook.

During this period in the '80's there was a wave of Satanic panic as many talk shows, news media, and various papers across the country began reporting on Satanic Serial Killers, and Groups of Satanists that were opening day care centers, molesting, and sacrificing children. This sparked an FBI investigation, which concluded that there was no such activity taking place.

Just after the release of the Devil's Notebook in 1992 LaVey made a film entitled "Speak of the Devil" It was a documentary about the Anton LaVey, the history of Satanism, and the Church of Satan. It seemed to revive the Satanic movement a little but not nearly as much as would be seen in 1996.

A musician by the name of Marilyn Manson release an album entitled "Antichrist Superstar" which fueled a pop-culture trend of Goth teenagers proclaiming to be Satanists. Many of these children were nothing more than alienated teens that were simply rebelling against religion, and their parents.

This created a surge of attention for LaVey and the Church of Satan. A revitalized church had sky rocketing membership applications and a renewed interest in Satanism. Ironically in the midst of the Goth culture phenomenon LaVey would die of heart failure in his home on the night of Oct. 27, 1997.

The Aftermath of LaVey's Death

Not surprisingly the death of LaVey created a frenzy in and outside of the Satanic community. Detractors came out from rocks to demystify, or debunk nearly all parts of LaVey's personal and private life, and of course the Church of Satan itself.

Karla LaVey (Anton's eldest daughter) and Blanche Barton (LaVey's Biographer, and mother of his Son) had agreed to run the Church together as co-High Priestess's. It was just after this agreement that Blanche produced a handwritten will and claimed that the Church, LaVey's personal property, and all rights to LaVey's writings were the sole property of Blanche, and LaVey's youngest Son Xerxes.

Karla had contested the will citing a Doctors statement that LaVey was heavily medicated and had just come out of a death experience when he was coerced to write the Will. The Will was later invalidated and an agreement was made.

Feeling that her fathers personal items were more important than the organization itself Karla agreed to let Blanche have the "Organization known as Church of Satan" in return LaVey's three children (Karla, Zeena, and Xerxes) were to equally divide his personal belongings, and the rights to his works.

During this time Blanche and clergy of the Church had begun a vicious campaign against Karla claiming she was not qualified to run the Church, had not contributed to the Church, and went through long periods of not speaking to her father.

In reality Karla LaVey had gone on numerous lecture tours at University's regarding Satanism. Appeared on countless television talk shows and radio interviews, promoting the Church, her father's work, and the philosophy itself. She was even featured on the Cover of Brazil's most popular magazine giving an interview on the Satanism, and the Occult.

Karla then decided to form the "First Satanic Church" in 1999, an identical organization to her father's old Church in order to carry on the family tradition. Her church is operating out of San Francisco just as her father had run the Church of Satan.

Blanche currently resides in San Diego, California and has no longer handles CoS administration. The Church of Satan is now run mostly online, based out of New York where memberships are processed, while still maintaining the P.O. Box in San Francisco for personal correspondence to Blanche.

A large number of new Satanic Churches have popped up since the death of LaVey in 1997. Most of them Internet based and lacking any real substance. That just seems to be par for the course these days.

A Word about Satanism Today

Satanism has always been about being an individual; it therefore makes sense that regardless of organizational politics the primary focus should be on the individual. It has become a bit cliché yet it still holds true that you do not have to join any organization to be a Satanist. Only you can determine where you want to go in life.

In closing I would like to say that Satanism is the Bedrock philosophy of human existence. It is the philosophy that is your primer paint before you put several layers of other paints on the wall. It is the first stepping-stone in life's journey for infinite knowledge. In the long run it's really what keeps you grounded and your head out of the clouds.

So before you go around throwing the name Satanic around make sure you have your facts right. I can include a lot more articles on Satanism if you want. Mostly basic tenets of Satanism.

Karla still lives in San Francisco, but the only real way into the FSC, is to talk to her in person. The CoS is now run by a bunch of posers and wannabes since LaVey died. All you have to do to join is write them a $200 check, and you get a little rad card with a pentagram and your name on it. That's it.

Zeena lives in Berlin, and has more or less disowned every aspect of her life here in the US.

Xerxes is in and out of prison. None of the family speaks to him anymore. Not even Blanche.
    As for being a touch-know, it means that I can hold objects and see people and places that are not there anymore.

#10 Blackangel, Sep 29, 2017
  11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL!

No offense intended @Jennifer M. I have read Anton Szandor Lavey's "Satanic Bible" and studied occultism to a significant degree. To me there is a significant difference (at least in perception, if not intent) between earth-based religions (paganism) and Satanic Cults. If the "official" Church of Satan is now a commercialized enterprise, as your references make it sound, it seems more to me like other major organized religions.

Just my thoughts.

Twist likes this.
  12. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the word "cult" that pisses a lot of us off. People hear "...cult" and they say, without any knowledge on the subject, that those people are looking for a blonde child to sacrifice, or rape. That's why LaVey chose the word grotto for the smaller groups. I however personally am a member of the Church of Lucifer, as well as a council member. The website is gone now, but the CoL is still very active.

#12 Blackangel, Sep 29, 2017
  13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that @Jennifer M . Again, I'm not trying to offend you, I'm simply trying to convey my (relatively informed) opinion. I never referenced anything so extreme as child sacrifice, rape or even any 'simply' blood sacrifice. (And I would remind everyone that even early Judaic religions required animal blood sacrifices -even to the extreme that God required Abraham to sacrifice his firstborn, Isaac (in Genesis)- which, he stopped before the actual sacrifice (how cruel is God that he even allowed it to go THAT far?) - so blood sacrifices would not even be a distinguishing difference between the Satanic and Christian religions.

The term "Lucifer" itself means 'bringer of light' - 'light' normally being understood as 'knowledge.' An interesting contrast. Especially since Satan, in the form of a serpent (again, in Genesis) persuaded Eve to eat an apple from the Tree of Knowledge. Which certainly raises the question of whether or nor knowledge itself is "evil."

Still @Jennifer M , I consider the Church of Lucifer and all Satanic religions to be cults.

14. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Paganism is defined by their earth based beliefs. It is an "umbrella term" that can include a number of religions including Wicca (in its many forms), eclectic nature based belief systems, Dianic belief systems, Druidism/Druidry, and many more.

I'm not offended. I just think you need to keep an open mind at least long enough to learn what you're dealing with and IF it is an issue or not. If you don't have issues with people that have other religions than your own, then paganism/witchcraft should be included in this as it IS a valid religion.

You say "the way he talks about it", but you don't give any details or explanation on what that means. Can you expand on the things he is saying, as well as the how and why of what bothers you about those things?

15. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I knew that Lucifer is the bearer of light, which is something that most either don't know or won't accept. It's a sad fact of life, but nothing I can change.

And as for the cult part, you consider LHP religions cults, but all others are not? They are bonafide religions?

And for everyone, I'm not trying to start a fight here. If I was, believe me there would be some very strong language getting used, that would probably get me banned. I have no interest in fighting with anyone. I'm just trying to understand some others views on this subject. Most don't bother doing any study into this area, yet I have spent the greater part of my life in study concerning LHP.

#15 Blackangel, Sep 29, 2017