1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Wierd Painting] Garden of Earthly Delights [Thoughts?]

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by InaRut, Mar 2, 2008.

1. pirateninja

Next time we have art theory and discuss Bosch, I am so telling my art teacher this story. :grin:

2. Astaroth

Yeah, she beat me to it to! :lol: If you've read the book The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's gay son), it deals with this painting in some detail. It turns out that Heironymous Bosch may have painted it as a representation of the the beliefs of the Gnostics and the late Cathars that only through pleasure can Heaven be obtained. Contrary to what Mother Church believed at the time (and still does), purity was actually the entrapment of the soul in the mortal flesh. Some believed that pleasure - especially sexual pleasure of all types - would release the spirit momentarily from the bonds of the flesh. So, although the triptych seems to say that with Earthly Delights come Hellish Torments, it could also indicate that it's without Earthly Delights that Hellish Torments come. It's a fascinating piece, though. What's really interesting is that when the triptych is closed, the two side panels are painted on the back to resemble the old alchemical representation of the Earth as a crystal sphere floating in the ether of the cosmos at the moment of Creation.

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Is that a clam raping a man in the center picture? o.0

4. InaRut

That's intersting.

Anyone explain the spartan hole in the first panel?

5. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I think it's actually a pond/rando body of water, just based on the awkward ripples on the surface and the fact that it has a couple of whales and mercreatures chilling in it.

6. InaRut

those are persians falling...cause if there is a sparta hole damn straight Persians are gonna be falling

7. panda

You people are soooo smart. I see it as moralizing on people who are just having a good time.Doesn't everyone just want to have fun? But the Fundameantalists say having fun is bad and you burn in Hell.However it's not true. So let's just PARTY>

8. InaRut

Isn't that an interesting note between the eras. I'm pretty sure back in this paintings golden age everyone would see it as the story of creation as to the christians. Seeing this as, "You party you go to hell." but now someone in our era see almost the exact opposite.

9. Level N Human

Party like hell. Skip a step I Say!!

WOOT!
    (Jumps off a table into an inflatable pool)