1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is it so hard for humans to accept homosexuality??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jenne, May 14, 2017.

1. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, and you know what? From my perspective, organized religion is very ignorant - read my previous post on this thread where I talked about ignorance (not focused on religion) about why there is non-acceptance of LGBTQ people.

In terms of religion, though, IMO there are many basic positive moral understandings and beliefs to be gained from most of the major world religions. However, when it comes to humans 'interpreting' the written words - or even, in some cases, the fact that humans have already potentially interpreted or limited the interpretation of their God's WORD would seem to limit the validity of that interpretation, wouldn't it?

For most of us, a spiritual belief is extremely important. I'm not trying to focus on one type of belief or another. Nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from their own personal belief. We are all individuals. Having a belief in 'something' higher is important to many of us and I, certainly, have no evidence to the contrary. What I would say is that I believe that each of us have to do what we do to support our beliefs here on earth.

Having said all of that, the idea of acceptance or non-acceptance of homosexuality revolves back (to me) on ignorance. Whether it is the ignorance of Christians, based on a human mis-interpretation of the Bible or personal beliefs/ignorance.

My 2cents.

2. Hunter8

Quantumreality, of course you are correct that great errors can be made when it comes to interpreting any written word that claims to have divine inspiration. I believe human beings who claim to speak for such writings should carry such a task with the most serious and humble demeanor imaginable. I cannot speak for other faiths, but Christians believe that all scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit, and that same Spirit will help those who are genuinely seeking truth and God's will as they examine Scripture. Such a belief does indeed require an element of faith, but faith is also an indispensable part of what it means to be a Christian. We are not necessarily given all the answers yet to every question we have, but we are to trust in the goodness of God when specific answers remain mysterious.

Any person that accepts a belief system is responsible for living out that belief system in a way that pays accurate homage to it. They must seek truth with a passion and then make their lives fight into that framework. Each person must honestly do this at his or her own pace, and each person's walk may be a little different.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just remember that there are still people who think the world is flat....

And that should answer pretty much any questions about humanity you have.

4. 1PennyMe

Religion - but that's from my experience.

5. Bournville98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just my take on this.

I agree that it mainly is to do with religion itself. I'm not going to say what's already been explained by the others in this thread, but being anything other than heterosexual also has or had resulted in people losing their jobs and getting life sentences in prison or even being sentenced to death. Like the others have said, there are horrible people in this world.

In the UK, before same-sex sexual activity was de-criminalized, anyone who was found out to like people of the same sex and happened to have performed sexual activity were convicted of "gross indecency" or "performing lewd acts"(according to the now-repealed Labouchere Amendment) as a criminal offence and if they were in the Army, they were dishonourably discharged. And literally anyone who knows the history behind Alan Turing knows he was chemically castrated as a punishment after his criminal conviction of "gross indecency".

Of course there's gay marriage and no-one is being prosecuted for liking the same sex now(in the UK, at least), and the people being previously convicted are getting royal pardons, but societal repercussions still exist and some of those same people are still reeling from the effects of their past convictions, whether they are having difficulties in getting a job or being punished and ex-communicated from their families.

#25 Bournville98, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's partly due to religion, or to be more precise a strict and dogmatic interpretation of religion, propagated by some churches and religious institutions. But I've also known plenty of non-religious people who simply fear difference and diversity in the world. If you're not like them, you're an outsider. It's not just the LGBT community they fear, but other minorities (and majorities) too. I used to respond to these people with rage and contempt, but increasingly, I pity them. Their experience of the world - of life itself, is reduced and limited by their ignorance and that's rather sad actually.

7. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Homosexuality is hard to be accepted in our patriarchal, heteronormative society. I wouldn't say it's a problem that afflicts humans in general.

8. DusDogs

I think that most people are afraid of what they don't know or understand. Seeing that people are afraid of deep waters and space or even change... And that most people are straight, they don't know or understand what it is like to be gay. So they are plainly scared of us for not understanding us , that's why schooling people about it is so important. And because most people need guidance, form a leader or a religion like: kings, the church, the mosque, authority figures, etc. And if they say it's wrong, then it is WRONG.
    . But those are for me the reasons, but who am to say such things(there are probably more reasons):thumbsup:

9. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha this! lol I watched a cringe compliation about conspiracy theories on YouTube and a lady was singing about how the world was flat and it was just bad.
    Um in a serious note I don't honestly know. I'd think that some people have a hard time accepting that others are different but eh that's my interperation.

10. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because it's unnatural. Is everything unnatural bad? No. The internet is unnatural of course. No it's not.

Just it does disrupt nature. People aren't naturally supposed to be homosexual, so it does cause friction with human relations.

It's still a touchy and taboo subject, that even people within the homosexual circuit, have issues with certain topics and issues.

But it's sadly a good argument in some cases.

It's just one of those things that sadly people have open season to shit on. It seems in a list of THE worst things you can be in life, as far as man is concerned, is be a homosexual.

11. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would ultimately blame homophobia on religion. I say this because homophobia is taught by numerous religious organizations, and has been taught by these religions for years upon years. The teaching of it automatically creates homophobia. It becomes known and is passed down through generations, it's taught to be thought of as bad, as sinful, as something that's not normal, and just because it's taught and is just words written down on paper people automatically think of it as factual, therefore it's looked down upon. I feel that it's not that they think it's weird, in fact they've probably at some point themselves had curiosities, it's that they're programmed and taught to automatically suppress their true feelings and instead express the disgust in which they've been taught and told to express. It's kind of weird isn't it? Religion in general is weird, it's like they're massive cults with brainwashed followers.. Well in my opinion anyway. But religion also is appropriate in the sense that some people really do need it. But anyhow, yeah I think that's ultimately the reason for homophobia. Because would it have ever started had it not been for religion? If people were never taught that it was abnormal or wrong would people have ever looked at it that way? Would straight men still feel superior to gay men? Would it be odd that someone weren't the same on the outside as the inside? I feel like that honestly if it weren't for religion that it would be more explored and we would know more scientifically than we do now.

12. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not all homophobic people are religious/blame homosexuality on religion, in fact many of them don't, so you can't.

Many of them are homophobic based on laws of nature, not necessarily based on religion, that homosexuality is unnatural.

#32 Suomi, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  13. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fun Fact: The original text for the bible does not exactly say man shall not lay with man, the original text was Hebrew and was translated into this. It's speculated that it in fact meant man shall not lye with boy, as in disapproving of pedophilia. You can look this up and read the facts exactly, but I've read about this a long time ago. I too speculated that it did not mean what it was translated to, because the words are two completely different spelled words, if it said man twice, shouldn't man have been spelled the same both times? Why you gotta use two different words for man in the same sentence? Makes no sense.

14. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because they're not religious doesn't mean that isn't where the base problem comes from. If it weren't seen in religion as bad, would it be used as bad to look down upon someone? I'm saying the problem to begin with stems from religion. And chances are that for all the homophobic people who aren't religious probably grew up around people with religious beliefs on some level, because clearly they've been taught somewhere that it's "bad" and looked down upon, why else would they have they thinking? So technically culture and up bringing are also factors, but culture and up bringing often involve religion. So religion would still be the base problem.

15. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And yeah, you could say that they're homophobic based on the laws of nature, but if you think about it. Religions are kind of based around the laws of nature in sense, but they were here first. Religion is kind of like the rough copy of the laws of nature.

16. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also think that one of the main reasons that homophobia exists is religion (but certainly not the only one).

Because religion teaches people to be satisfied with not understanding the world (quote by Richard Dawkins, but I strongly believe it's true)

17. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like to ask people if Leviticus actually meant lie as in tell a fallacy. Or the biblical version of bros before hoes to put it bluntly. He is saying you as a man can not tell another man a fallacy in the same manner as you tell a fallacy to any woman.

If your father asks you why you were late to dinner you have to tell him you were trying to getting a full 18 holes in at the golf course.
    If your mother or wife asks why you are late for dinner, you can just say you had to work late even if you were playing golf....

And yes I acknowledge how sexist and misogamist that is, but put in the context of bible and how women were nothing but property it fits really well.

18. youknowyou

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in my possibly wrong opinion, nobody can fear or dislike what they dont have in them.

so, imo most people who dont accept homo's have bisexual tendencies and a gay person reminds people what they dont want to admit to themselves.

19. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not quite.

Again, it goes back to my original post.

It's just something unnatural and taboo and strange to some people still sadly.

It also be fear that it's contagious or they might catch "the gay".

When being gay is in your DNA. You either are, or aren't.

Sadly society can't understand this.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my view, society oppresses people for two main reasons :

1. The sadistic pleasure of being in a position of power and feeling superior to someone else.

2. The fear of people who are different.

I think most people who are generally classified as religious bigots don’t hate or discriminate because of their religion they simply use their religion to justify the above reasons.