1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it easier in society to be a lesbian than it is a gay man?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anonmember, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That’s all true but no one who ever met me would think I’m effeminate of course they don’t know I’m bi so that could chNge things

2. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well yes, I'm sure. But guys like us conform to the "straight" stereotype, even if we are half gay...because society makes us conform, and our urges to be "gay" are not strong enough to want to come out and live the gay life...so we kind of get stuck in no man's land. Easier to be straight, and not that hard tbh, but those urges have to remain largely secret.

3. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everyone who is not straight has it tough. And you know, social conditioning has a massive part to play. Gay is wrong in most people's minds...even gay people on this site, when explaining how they first knew they were gay, usually say "I knew I was different from an early age"...DIFFERENT! Different from what? The so-called "norm" of society. And the fact that people felt "different" to other people of the same sex and age, must have some psychological damage on them from an early age. I empathise with these people.

4. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand. I guess I’m just saying that’s it’s easier to fit in because I gave most of the same hetero desired they do, I just gave gay ones as well. I don’t think many would accept that I was bi if I told them though.

5. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same with me I'm afraid. But hey, it could be worse. At least we have freedoms that some middle Eastern, eastern european, African and Asian cultures do not have. So I'm pretty content with my lot overall.

6. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You never know. Not everyone is biphobic. There are plenty of people that aren't. I have both gay and straight friends who totally accept bisexuals. And I have a bisexual guy friend who is in high school who lives about an hour and a half away from me and he is pretty well accepted for it. His high school is more liberal than mine though. He is the only high schooler I'm out to and he doesn't even go to my high school.

#46 anonmember, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You are right. Things can always be worse

8. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was reading this topic and I just wanted to add, I don't know about bicurious women but bisexual women sometimes have it though too! And actually I personally think that it's the most difficult for bi men. Most other men simply don't even believe they exist at all to start with. Being bisexual is not taken seriously at all.

9. BiBarefeet

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. Bi women have a difficult time, mostly with straight and bi guys. I mean, my ultimate preference would be to have a bi female partner and for us to be totally open and out to each other. But bisexual women are scared sometimes to announce they are bi, because the creepy guys come out of the shadows and jump on them.

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I think that's because society says men's sexuality is rigid and there's only straight or gay. Women have the opposite problem, society believes that women's sexualityis fluid, and that women can only have bi tendencies, straight women and lesbians don't exist to society like bi guys don't

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, yeah... I personally have no clue.

12. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say most men believe that. There are probably a handful of men that believe that, but there are lots who totally accept bi men too. You're probably just taking unverified stats you've heard on the internet. Not everything on the internet is reliable. I have plenty of straight and gay guy friends who totally accept bi men. I have a bisexual guy friend who's in high school who is pretty well accepted for it.

13. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The internet also says that only 10% of bisexual guys that are out, but I don't think that's true either. There are actually lots of out and proud bi guys. I know 2 other bi guys personally and my brother has a guy roommate that's bi. I don't personally know my brother's roommate, but he told me that once.

#53 anonmember, Apr 17, 2018
  14. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it comes to the internet, you have to be really careful what sources you believe. I am not out to enough people to experience rejection and ridicule, so I don't know what it's like. But I know some other bi guys are pretty well accepted for it. I'm a senior in high school and most of the people I'm out to are adults and as I've said before on this forum, one of my bi guy friends who lives an hour and a half away.

#54 anonmember, Apr 17, 2018
  15. anonmember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will likely come out in college. I will let you guys know how it goes when that happens.

16. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know stories of bi men through a talking group I once participated in and through FB groups (Belgian and Dutch). We bisexuals have a small community here in Belgium and we're one group regardless of gender. Of course most of the bi men I've heard or read stories from are way older than you. I don't think it's actually true that only 10 percent of bi men are out though. I'm going to look if I can find the numbers of the Sociaal Planbureau in the Netherlands and I'll post them on here.

17. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to a study in the Netherlands in 2012 50 percent of bisexual men didn't tell it to anyone (still a lot!) and only 3 percent of gay men didn't tell it to anyone. And 14 percent of bisexual women and 2 percent of lesbian women.

18. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't understand me wrong, I don't want to scare you or anything. People who know you will react better than people who don't. Lots of people think they don't know bi men. The hiding of bisexual men is part of the problem, because it is a vicious circle. When bi men are not out, how can other people see them, they don't, and as a result those people think bi men don't exist.

19. Hardright

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If by lesbian you mean attractive women who have sex with other attractive women but will have sex at the drop of a hat with any man off the street AND bring her girlfriend then, sure, THOSE "lesbians" (mythical though they may be) have it easier.

All told, I do not believe any "alternative " sexuality has it easier than another. I tend to believe that it is easy to fall into the trap of believing that you and yours have it worse because you have your own lifetime of experience being abused and discriminated against (or the fear of it if not out) while you only have a glimpse of seeing others abused because you do not witness their entire lives. Kind of like a bullied child thinking they have it worst, not knowing that their tormentor is just as cruel to other victims. I have heard similar from racial minorities as well, "x racial group is more accepted than my racial group", when in truth the actual racist bigots of the world hate them both and couldn't be bothered to differentiate between the two.

20. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kind of hard to generalise the entire gay or lesbian population since there's so many ways you can present yourself as a queer person. I think @Hardright brings up a good point that the way you present yourself in the context of your queerness matters, it's always more acceptable to to present yourself in a way that doesn't "make waves" or otherwise impede on the heterosexual dichotomy. So, for instance, a feminine lesbian who doesn't stand up to heterosexism and/or defaults to the traditional "marriage" life will have it easier then a gay man who doesn't identify with the traditional definition of marriage and/or is more effeminate, less masculine and doesn't coincide with heterocentrist gender roles

#60 18breanna, Apr 17, 2018