1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does everyone hate Piper but like Alex?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ConnectedToWall, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's almost impossible to find an article with anything negative about Alex and positive about Piper (from Orange is the New Black). I find this so strange because Alex continually mistreats Piper, emotionally and physically abusing her, and yet everyone hates Piper. Mostly what Piper does is either to help herself, Alex, or others. But it seems like almost everything Alex does is just to help herself. She never puts Piper above her own needs but doesn't appreciate how Piper tends to care for her.
    Thoughts?

2. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Seasons 1-4 are incredibly smart (I have a lot of mixed feelings about Season 5 so far), but I do feel that you touch on the reason why so many people feel uncomfortable with the show.
    I think that OITNB's narrative structure is supposed to enact empathy, or at the very least sympathy for its characters, and to help the viewer understand why people do what they do. With Alex, she has had a relatively traumatic upbringing and life, and therefore, sometimes views her life's path has having no alternatives. This does not negative how she, or even other people, treat their peers or individuals when they're more oppressed than them. I believe Sara Ahmed (I could be wrong though?) talks about how those individuals who have been oppressed should not perpetuate the abuse that was done to them. With Piper, she has no excuse. She's entitled, rich, and has no self-awareness. What's worse, she thinks she's self-aware. In Season 4, she uses a woman to protect her. This woman has limited footing in the prison and who is a woman of color. We watch the dynamic play out since it later leads to Piper creating a white supremacist group, by accident of course, but it articulates what's wrong with Piper's actions and maybe why you're having a problem with why the show doesn't critique Alex. Each one of these characters does have issues, and may perpetuate their own projections, harm, or even abuse.
    I view the relationship between Alex and Piper as an incredibly fraught relationship between two women using one another. Alex seems to be using Piper because, quite frankly, she doesn't know better. What we've gathered from her past, she's had a tumultuous and emotionally abusive past. Again, not to negate her current behavior, but OITNB's structure is to educate its audience. So, perhaps this is why Alex behaves the way she does. Piper uses other people under the guise of kindness, but she isn't kind. She's selfish and entitled. I don't think that means they don't like each other or even love each other, but think of the baggage they're bringing into the relationship. OITNB seems to destabilize how we romanticize relationships and romance.

I also really like this New Yorker article: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/11/empathy-and-orange-is-the-new-black

3. ReneeSparks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I found Piper to be an annoying character even more in season 5, I don't really care for either of them really Alex nor Piper. I find their story the least interesting. I really like Pousey and Soso relationship too bad they killed her girlfriend.
    Also I can't stand Susan my god what an annoying character. And Linda I don't know what they were thinking with her why the heck did they give her a backstory? When you have characters that have been on the show 5 years and still haven't received the proper back story?

And is it just me or does it seem like they dumbed everyone down this season? The crack heads were a bit annoying too. Did they cover the Amish ones backstory? I wouldn't mind seeing hers.

4. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really curious to see how S5 plays out. I have read some reviews that that state the this seasons is pretty bad. Right now I'm only two episodes in due to being really busy, but we'll see! I love, love Poussey and Soso, and while I understand the political reasons behind Poussey's death, it still makes me so sad and angry.

5. Loves books

Piper is annoying ans so is Alex they both suck. They continually screw each other over and argue over the most stupid things. The best charachter is Nicky she may be a junkie but she's good for a laugh and can be serious when she has to.

6. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont care for either. Piper is just not interesting and whenever I see Laura Prepon (Alex) all I think is her as Donna from That 70s Show (Same thing with Constance Shulman (Yoga Jones) as Patty Mayonaise. Im split between Taystee, Red and Freida as my favorites.

7. Brit75

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Red and Nicky are two of my faves. I like Alex (Looks only, not as a person), which is odd because she's not the kind I typically go for. Poussey is also one of my favourites, she's such a gentle soul but with a tough side

8. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in episode 9 of season 5 and I want both of them to go away. So... I'll have more complete thoughts later.

9. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like em both... but ultimately I'm on team Nicky. Watched all 5 seasons.

10. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I must be the only LGBT person who doesn't like OITNB :[ It's so weird and makes me feel like I'm watching a comedymurder

11. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely niche humour

12. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then again, I watch other weird comedies...

13. condorqueen

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're both awful characters in the show tbh. :^) I hate them both.

14. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's very interesting hearing your responses. I personally really like the Alex and Piper relationship for the most part even though they mistreat each other. I get that Piper is doing things out of self-interest a lot of the time but she also helps other people. Like in season two when she helps the senile elderly women cut her food. There was no ulterior motive there. And she was horrified about the compassionate release. I think even if she is selfish, she's less selfish than Alex.
    I may be in the minority here, but I wish they would have more scenes with Alex and Piper. I feel like they are barely in season 5 at all.

15. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I've given up on this show. I tried watching 5 episodes of this season and I honestly can't get into it anymore. I mean the show isn't even about piper and Alex anymore. It's all political and it's just silly.

16. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are some cute Alex and Piper scenes this season. But I feel like the show is just using them to keep people watching so they can talk about issues with prisons. If you want, you could go on YouTube and just watch the Alex and Piper scenes.

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'll just watch the season 5 finale and then maybe catch up on season 6 if it's any better.

18. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The episode Tattoo You has some cute Alex and Piper moments as well. I think it's like the second to the last episode or the third to the last episode. It even has Piper and Alex flashbacks which are like so seriously endangered to the point of extinction right now on that show.

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's okay. I watched the 8th episode of season 5 and am just plannin on watching the finale.