1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do/don't you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Multiverse, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multiverse

Multiverse Guest

Deleted.

#1 Multiverse, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. thepandaboss

I just don't see a lot of evidence supporting a belief in any deity, you know? What we know of the universe, of the Earth doesn't necessarily say that there absolutely is a god (or gods) pulling the strings, or so to speak. Not believing in a god doesn't negatively impact my life nor positively affect me. It just is what it is.

I'm not an atheist because I'm anti-religious or I hate the concept of a god. Just, meh. If I saw proof of a god or God himself introduced himself to me, I'd for sure acknowledge there was a god. I wouldn't suddenly become Christian or Hindu or whatever- we're debating that there's a Christian god with this question, which might not be the case if indeed there was a god or gods. For all we know, we should all be paying respect to Horus or whoever. Heck, I'd have a lot of questions for him and wouldn't necessarily see the point in worshipping a deity who not only doesn't explain why we should worship him but, depending on the religion, demands love and worship or will cast disbelievers into Hell.

3. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

It's not an argument, only a reason: I can't align or reconcile the idea of a world in which a God exists and the world I have experienced.

I realised that the world I thought of as having created by God and the world I have experienced are two separate things.

I wouldn't say I'm sure either way on whether there is a God, but I can't imagine there being one in the world I'm living in.

I don't think I will ever believe in God but I love hearing and thinking about other people's perspectives and experiences on the subject.

#3 Connorcode, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  4. kateles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is my first post here. I do believe in God.I do not see God as some sort of vengeful being who is out to get us. Unfortunately, many of us in the GLBT community have been taught that is who God is. That is so false. Yes, of course I have been taught that - in several churches/denominations I have been a part of. But it isn't true and I could never believe in a god like that.

People pick and chose verses from whatever holy book they use to make the case against same sex relationships. That is exegesis (fancy word for saying what the bible means) at its worst. If any one does that like of proofing to you - run. Fast. Very Far away.

I believe in God because he (yes I still use that pronoun) in my worst of times that faith has given me comfort and strength. When I pray I sense a peace I can't find anywhere else. It works for me. If it doesn't for you, that is OK too. We are all different.

Kateles

5. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I dont believe in god, not because its "silly" or anything like that, infact im happy for people who can find that kind of comfort and surety in the world. I dont believe in god because theres no evidence, i can't mentally believe in or imagine a god, its like...fairies or cyclops or even a non-racist right-wing politician, just can't exist.

also that would mean that god has litterally tried to kill me multiple times, like it tried to starve me to death when i was 11 (I had a condition where my stomach couldn't digest anything, so i got thinner and thinner and thinner and was basically wasting away until i was operating on), which is ridiculous, all the worlds problems and horror and you want to tell me theres a god? if so its an idiot, because this world is so fragile, self destructive and badly designed

#5 europeanguy, Jun 21, 2016
  6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't see a good reason to believe in God. Not enough convincing evidence for me. And the idea of it just seems kinda crazy.

7. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same

8. Exodrake

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm just one of those "evidence or it didn't happen" type of people. If solid evidence supporting an idea cannot be presented, then I won't buy it. This is why I am entirely irreligious, since all religions require some level of "faith" which I am utterly devoid of.

#8 Exodrake, Jun 21, 2016
  9. GayPugs

I think it's improbable that there's a deity who controls everything and looks exactly like a human. Just...why? The world can function completely fine on it's own, I think. Plus, there are so many good people who are suffering! If there were a god, he/she/they wouldn't let that happen...probably. Maybe he/she/they is just really, really sadistic, like me. xD

10. killswitch0029

I don't necessarily believe in a god, but I also don't think that life and everything else in the universe was created by some stroke of luck. So while I don't believe that there's a big invisible dude sitting up in the sky, but I do believe that there's something out there in some shape or form.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there is such a heaven where is this located at? Exactly.

12. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much my opinion exactly

13. mangotree

I heard the term "Ignostic" for the first time yesterday, which I think fits me.

Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless, because the term "god" has no unambiguous definition. Ignosticism requires a good, non-controversial definition of god before arguing on its existence.

#13 mangotree, Jun 21, 2016
  14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best exploration of this ever...if you have a sense of humor...

[YOUTUBE]IZeWPScnolo[/YOUTUBE]

15. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had some life experiences that have definitely made me wonder if there's a higher power. Some coincidences that were pretty strange that taught me some cool lessons. I've come to realize though, that if there is a higher power, they probably wouldn't want people to use that as an excuse to gain power over people, or discriminate against people. I think that the purpose of religion and religious institutions is to manipulate and control. I think sometimes those institutions do wonderful things for the world and the community, such as feeding the starving, helping the homeless etc.
    However, I think that ultimately a lot of religions run on giving up certain parts of yourself in order to conform to someone's idea, or a group of peoples' idea of what the world should be like. I don't think people should ever sacrifice knowledge to be roped into something that is going to steal their freedom.
    I've come to realize that whether or not there is a higher power is unknown. Whether or not there is an afterlife, reincarnation, anything beyond the life we have now, is unknown. So I think we should live the best lives that we can, for ourselves, those around us, and those to come.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1:Lack of evidence, other options make more sense to me by a long run.

2:Behavior of many religious members, not to say all. There are good people in there, but it seems like they turn a blind eye. Most atheists I meet behave better than the Christians I am used to, and such would be the opposite of morality wasn't from our own minds and rather from an elaborate hivemind. I feel if it were true, people like Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps would have been our allies, rather than outspoken enemies.

3: I read the book, and was in "disagreement" with many of it's teachings, to put it lightly. Especially the parts about killing children, women being property and less than men, genital mutilation, overpopulation being a good idea, and slavery being completely okay. Also eternal punishment for eating seafood seems a bit harsh.
    Much of it equates with barbaric humankind in the era it was written, and I do not believe a "perfect being" would have a more messed up "morality compass" than a pessimistic little girl like myself. A perfect being's mind would be far above such a time, and a being near perfection would likely strive to become closer to perfection, rather than abolishing questioning and potential improvement.

4: The quantity of other religions, dead and alive, each one decreases the probability of yours being the one that happens to be true.

No offense to anyone else, just my opinions. I was raised by a somewhat hardcore family and growing out of it was a bit hard, it still stings from all the research I did. I'm pretty much pressured to return on a daily basis and combined with the US's attitude, my patience has worn rather thin. I do apologize if anything said was a bit extreme.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]R66r_XMoDkk[/YOUTUBE]

18. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I simply believe in something greater than us all due to personal experiences.

19. AmyBee

You'd have to prove it to me with something other than anecdotes. Like some cold hard facts the same way we know there are dogs and cats and how electricity works.

20. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it is mainly because everything feels so well organized and perfectly alligned, the patterns remind me of a huge computer program and someone had to be the programmer because it is all too perfect. There is also something arrogant about the thought that we are the highest form of being, it makes much more sense that we are just a part of a larger mechanism that we don' t see or understand. Of course, I don't believe that the bible and the holy texts have anything to do with the power that guides the world and makes it what it is. However, the knowledge that there is something beyomd what we can see, we are a small part of something greater does give me a certain peace of mind. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.