1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn’t they use legilimens spell on Harry

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by The Aquarius, May 20, 2019.

1. The Aquarius

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m re-watching Harry Potter 5 and I just got to the part where snape uses the legilimens spell on Harry to go into his mind.
    Then the question came up. Why didn’t they use this on Harry to find out how Diggory died or if he was telling the truth about the dementors.
    Then I remembered that Dumbledore had the memory spell he uses as well. He could’ve done the same.

Just a little observation I noticed during the movie.

2. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I remember correctly, the books mention that Occlumency and Legilimency are very hard skills to master. So it wasn't like any random wizard could read Harry's mind. They would have to be skilled in Legilimency. Plus, of the four wizards that we know can do it well (Dumbledore, Snape, Voldemort, and Queenie Goldstein), Voldemort would probably try to make sure people didn't believe Harry, Dumbledore only has so much power and can't sway the Ministry. Snape has less power than Dumbledore (and also probably didn't care), and Queenie has no connection to Harry.

Also, what memory spell of Dumbledore are you refering to?

#2 BothWaysSecret, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. Loves books

It would have been a worse story if everyone believed Voldemort was back when Harry said he was. Same with the Dementors. It’s also a total violation to go in to someone’s mind like that and there’s probably some rules against that or else it would just make things too easy. Also wondering, who’s Queenie?

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^This. Legilimency is a difficult skill to master, it's not something they would have had easy access to. Not to mention, memories can be manipulated and Legilimency can be blocked with Occlumency. Even if they did have someone on the level of those four, there are no guarantees. Look at Slughorn, who manipulated his own memory to paint himself in a better light.

The most important reason, though, is it's not that Fudge didn't believe Voldemort was back. It was that he didn't want to believe. As long as Fudge had doubt, he could write off Harry's story as hysteria. He would never ask for something that would offer irrefutable proof.

5. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Queenie Goldstein is one of the new characters that is in the Fantastic Beasts movies. She's an American witch who lived during Grindelwald's rise to power in the early 20th century.

#5 BothWaysSecret, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  6. Loves books

I didn’t think of those movies when trying to figure out who Queenie was. I tend not to think of them as part of the Harry Potter world. I got in to Harry Potter when I was 8 and I bought the third book the day before the fourth one came out. Since then I have literally read each book 50 times. There is no part of those books I don’t know and I know every character. It’s hard to think of movies when the original books were so good. I was horrified when I found out my sisters boyfriend was a huge fan of the Harry Potter movies but hadn’t read any of the books. All those times when Snape goes in to Harry’s mind were kind of repetitive. Also is there no spell to keep Voldemort out. Trying to teach him like that was like throwing a kid in a pool expecting them to learn to swim. It was that book I realized Dumbledore was kind of insane.

7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, I think strict rules on privacy/personal space/freedom exist, even though they aren't mentioned outright. I think that's what we've seen in the limited number of wizengamot trials described by JK Rowling in her books. Legilimency, watching memories in the pensieve and veritaserum (as my memory serves me) aren't used to validate the accused or the witnesses' statements.

8. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I view them as part of the world. Plus, since they don't have a book to fall back on, we really only have the movies to look to.