1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did you pick your name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DreamerBoy17, Oct 23, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious as to why the trans and nonbinary people on here picked their lovely names.

For me? The one I'm really liking right now is Cody. I've always liked the way the name feels and sounds, even when I was younger way before questioning. So when I was thinking about what name I would want to be called, I had a list of these names out and was thinking about it. Then I remembered my road trip over the summer. We went through a gorgeous town called Cody in Wyoming. I love road trips, and to me, they make me feel very free and just happy. And I wanted a name that gave me this same freedom.
    So, I love the feel of the name, and it always reminds me the happiness and freedom of being out west, and knowing that things will get better. :slight_smile:

What's your name story?

2. Jalo

Jalo Guest

My parents picked my birth-name, and I don't have a problem with it. I like it, I'm used to hearing it, I don't flinch or cringe when I hear it unlike when people use "she/her" pronouns for me. I did however, pick to keep it.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my femine name came to me during a meditation session where i just let my mind wander and explore the various parts of my conciousness. one day i was just letting it do its thing and this name came up and a 'voice', "my name is ________" it just felt 'right'.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Wolfgang because it's what my grandparents had always wanted to name a boy (they only had girls), after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Not to mention it's a really cool name and I would be unlikely to run into another person with the same name as me.

5. FootballFan101

Cara cause it sounds like my male name but it also means friend

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll paste what I wrote in a different thread a while ago (the condensed version) :icon_bigg Obviously it's still tentative and I'm trying out a few different ones simultaneously, but I quite like Jake for now.

7. Pyrokel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose Kai - it was a name I chose to use in a short story for a college assignment a few years ago, and I really liked it. When I started looking for a new name, it was the first name I thought of, so I looked it up. It means "fire" in Scottish, and "friend" in Tagalog. I haven't decided whether to use it permanently or not, but I'm really happy with it right now. :slight_smile:

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was going for a name that reflects my German heritage (and started with the same letter as my birth name) and it took me a while to come up with a name but "Matthias" just sounded right.

9. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is going to sound so effing stupid, but I am Alex because Alex Russo was my hero when I was I kid. I loved how brave she was, and when I was a kid I was scared to be such an artistic, eccentric, jokey, out of the box person. Well, I am that person now. But back then, Alex was just a person I wanted to be but couldn't become.

And I just looked in the mirror and said I am Alex. And you know what? Margaret was never real. Alex is :slight_smile:

#9 RavenTheRat, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  10. MissNicole

Nicole is just me. My favourite name, and my first female roleplaying character. It's always just.. 'fit' ^^

11. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny, my name was Nicole, and I've never, ever liked it and it was only about 10 months ago that I realised why. I'm not a girl, but I'm not a boy, and right now I'm not really sure what I am, all I know is that my name is Abrey. Unfortunately I'm gonna be playing the role of Nicole for a few more years, until I get kicked out for perusing a career in musical theatre, but for now... I'm just happy that I found my name. Alex just never really felt like me, which was what I was going to call myself.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my birth name. Gender neutral ftw.

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As it stands how, I go by Alexander Jerick (or AJ for short).

I was always drawn to the name Alex, and I've never been able to find another name that I feel strongly about that just clicks or suits me. It was my first choice from the jump, and even though I've tried experimenting with Andros (and considered Aaron and Adam), they just don't feel right.

It helped later on that an acquaintance of mine is also named Alex, and he was one of the first people I interacted with who was passionate about movies and filmmaking, and helped fuel my own interest in the idea of becoming a director one day.

Middle name wise is a different story. I remember when I had that "do or die" realization, I spent an afternoon in the summer writing down all the name combinations I could think of to see what sounded like the perfect fit for me.

Mason. Tobias. Sam. Jesse. Jason. Holden. Jayden. Hayden. Jackson. Joshua. And a lot more. I think I tried at least 15-20 names, and none really worked. I know to this day I still get emails with Mason in the title. By 2013, I believe I was still going by Mason, and that changed around the spring of that year for the (hopefully) the last time.

It's silly, but the spark came in with the arrival of the fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race (which I have mixed feelings about now). My attention was drawn to a specific queen who was running that season, Jinkx Monsoon or Jerick Hoffer. I'm not sure what it was about them (I just found out they identify as genderless, so now I feel horrible for misgendering them for years), but they always found a way to rope me in. As the season went on, they pulled on my heart strings in a way that nobody really has ever done, and they became the embodiment of who I wanted to be; and they also became a light in my life that save my life.

So that's basically my story; my name is a tribute to two people who have made an impact on my life. That's just about it.

14. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Ha! That's my birthname right there!

15. Astral

I always had a passion for space and the cosmos, and always wanted to be a cosmologist if I had the grades and if jobs were actually existent in the field. It reminds me of the world celestial I think, to me it invokes a vision of the stars :slight_smile: Always loved it!

16. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These are all pretty neat! I'm glad I'm not the only one using the male version of a first name. Also mine sounds fairly cheesy rereading it but it is truth. :lol: :sunglasses:

17. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Emmett, Christopher, James, Peter, Grayson, Christian.

Alec Sebastian H.

First, I had to decide if I wanted my name to align with family tradition. For all males, my parents named them (a) Bible first name and (b) middle name after a relative. This ultimately felt too limiting, and most of the names were too common. I wanted something that was common enough, but not too many people had it. Meaning was also important. Hence Alec, a derivative of Alexander. It also has a bit of a classy yet casual feel.

The middle name, Sebastian, was picked purely for meaning. It means "honor" which is a virtue I strive for, and a concept I find fascinating.

I would have loved to ask my parents what they would have named me, had I been born male. But I'm pretty sure they didn't even have a male name picked out. And its too suspicious a question to ask anyway.

18. randomconnorcon

Connor (Strong-willed) Samuel (Name of God) Leigh-Andrew (L - Healer/from the meadow, A - Manly) H (I won't say my last name, but know it means Courageous).

It's coincidental that I like the meanings behind them, but I'm glad I do. I chose Connor because I love how it sounds when I say it, though sometimes I still wonder if I should have gone for Cody or if another name entirely will come along. But I think Connor is here to stay.

Samuel is simply the male form of my birth name. Sam is what I'm still called by a few people, it's what I know and accept. The only reason I chose a new first name is because, while everyone called me Sam, I was always told my name was Samantha and they could call me that if they wanted to, so even Sam has memories attached that are a little too negative.

Leigh-Anne was (still is legally) my middle name. It's said and viewed as one name, same as Leigh-Andrew will. My mum picked it because she liked the name, but didn't want the same spelling as her cousin. I decided to keep Leigh the same, rather than change to Lee, because of that. I considered it gender neutral anyway, so the spelling never bothered me. Andrew is as close to Anne as possible, but is also the name of my favorite uncle. Bonus.

I wont be changing my last name. I just like what it means.

#18 randomconnorcon, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  19. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted an uncommon French name. It needed to be French to go with my last name and my heritage. I wanted it to be rare because I hate having the same name as someone else. It happened sometimes with my birth name and I hated it. I felt like I was not unique. I also really liked the ''ore'' sonority, so I looked for names that had it. In the end, I found ''Theodore'' and ''Isidore''. While I like Isidore better, it didn't seem to fit me so well, so I took Theodore instead. My family laughed at my name at first, but I stood my ground and it is now my legal name.

Now, I still needed two other names to put on my birth certificate. One is the name my mom would have given me : ''Pierre-Luc''. I didn't choose it as my birthname because I don't like composed names and there's also the obvious joke of putting it backwards. It will have to do as a middle name.

For the other one, babies usually had ''Marie'' for girls and ''Joseph'' for boys because of religion. Since I hate religion, I took it upon myself to find another middle name. I ended up choosing ''Alexandri'' for the city of the same name without the ''e''. I'm a history geek, and I think my first name as well as that one reflect that nicely.

Overall, I've gotten nice comments about my name as well as mean comments, but I think it fits me to a T :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I also haven't met anyone with that name as of yet!

20. MetalRice

I chose the name Kirsten because I just thought it fit me, that it felt right and felt like me; if that makes sense?