1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are mattresses so expensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Micah

title.

I'm trying to buy a double/queen mattress, yet they are oh-so expensive.

*sigh*

2. CrimsonThunder

You can share mine if you want?

3. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    am assuming you're getting a bigger bed for that too??? Or are you just going to try fitting a big mattress on a small bed? In which case the bed is going to cost $$ too.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

They are expensive, but remember that they are often hand-made (or at least hand finished), and a lot of stuff goes into them. They are also big and heavy which means storage and transport is expensive too.

A good mattress will last you 15 years though, so if you work out how much it costs per night of good sleep, it's not so bad.

Can you get your parents to help out with the cost?

5. 24601

Yeah, they're definitely expensive. I went out today and got a new one (hooray!). The guy offered us 50% off on the one I got, marked down from $1300. With all the delivery, a pad, a new frame, and some other junk, it came to like $850. I'm happy. I don't know how that price compares.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I paid about £450 for our new double mattress last year. That included delivery (next day from an online supplier) and it was some percentage off the "normal price" but I normally ignore percentages and just look at the final price. We didn't get any other stuff with it.

With £1 being about $2 (US Dollars) that compares about right I think.

7. Micah

Well the thing is that I'm sick of having a small bed, and my old mattress is about 12-13 years old.

Plus, it would come in handy when I have guys over......

I'm going to talk to my parents about cost, but I'm not sure how it'll go since they are very anti double beds while we still live at home since it encourages sex. hah.

8. Jerr

California King is my FAVORITE size bed... use to have one... *tear* got a Queen... I felt like I was confined... lol

I think they are expensive because you only need one for a long time... I think...

9. Hydrogen

When Tyler and I moved in together, we had to get a new bed that we both could fit on. We both were strapped for cash, so we just started going to Auctions and Flea markets.

For $200 we got a very nice Simmons queen size box springs, mattresses, and bed frame at an auction. Some guy had bought them, and then found out it would not fit in his studio apartment, so he had to get rid of it quick, since he could not store it. He paid close to $1,000 and we got it for $150 + $50 to rent a truck to bring it home.

We also got a Leather Lazyboy couch for $47, that was still in the original wrapping. the local lazyboy store closed, and auctioned everything off.

So if you have time, just look around.. Never know what you will find.

10. Torture

Torture Guest

Dang, nice finds! :thumbsup:

11. Chaos

I would never buy a used bed. Strangers... might've made babies in it! Or worse!

I need a bed. I sleep on a futon mattress on the floor. It's very thin and shitty. I need a new bed. My mom said she'll buy me one this fall, so I'm excited. I haven't had my own bed or a real bed in ages!

I've slept on futons and a couch that could pull out and turn into a bed, but those were shitty.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The one Hydrogen mentioned was just about new though. Bought but wouldn't fit - it's probably never been used!

13. Hydrogen

Yep... It was still in the plastic wrap..

14. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me about mattresses' cost... I slept for three years on a mattress as thin as a piece of paper (it was 25 years old...) My back hurt every single day when I woke up.

Thankfully, my aunt bought this one for me.

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :lol: My bed I bought USED about 15 years ago. (Yes, it's time for a new one!)Who knows how many babies were made in it. At least mine! :icon_redf Well no, I take that back. My son was conceived either in a tent or my grandmothers spare bedroom. Funny story, when we went up to her house to attend her funeral we were looking around the house and reliving memories. My kids, my husband, and myself peaked in that room and it still looked the same. She had a picture of Jesus on the wall. I said something like "Adam it's a very high possiblity you were conceived in this room." My kids just about died. They said "You did it in Grandma's house? My God Mom, Jesus is on the wall!" We were all laughing hysterically so then everybody is wanting to know what we were laughing about so we told them. My cousin admitted to having some good times in that room too. I think it's funny to share those kinds of stories with my kids. They get so worked up about it. I don't know how they think they got here. A stork?

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    By the way....you can find good bargains at mattress outlet stores. They have mismatched sets. The box springs are a different color than the mattress. Who cares, you put sheets on them anyway. Also these places will refurbish old sets and make them new and you can get those for pretty cheap.

17. Yeah like Becky said the outlet stores are a good places to get mattresses cheap

18. nolousolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Try going into a factory... they sell them for less

19. Tom

Tom Guest

i bought a new queen size bed n mattress not that long ago, cost me £280 or $560 wich i fught was amazing, its memory foam, metal n wood frame full delivery and we got it new, dont ask me how when it was suppose 2 be about £700($1400) new and woo first post, new member :icon_bigg