1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are LGBT people always liberal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Nov 18, 2018.

1. smurf

That's the thing, you can't take out the LGBT related issues.

For me, while the old-guard of the democratic is incredibly annoying, the party is still set up to allow new ideas and to push the envelope. LGBT issues were pushed from the liberal side because it was the only platform that it was possible from. The future issues that matter will also come from the liberal side.

My whole family is ultra conservative so this is something I have heard my whole life. I used to believe too.

Its dangerous rhetoric that stems down to liberals too "stupid minorities that are easy to manipulate and can't formulate their own ideas". When I started going more liberal in college I was also told by my family that it was an expected phase due to my young age and lack of experience.

And while the democratic party is not without faults, because my god does it suck many times, it is the party that is elevating the new progressive leadership. There is now leadership that will kick the old vanguard out eventually,for better or for worse.

When you pay attention to the representatives that were just elected to the house of representatives you can see the real shift happening. That shift is not happening in the republican side.

But that being said, there are so many LGBT republicans out there. Like so many. If memory serves me right 25% of LGBT people voted for Trump so there is clearly a sizable amount there.

2. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Liberal philosophy values individual freedom, liberty, believes in change, breaking age-old social boundaries to move ahead, etc, which were at the very heart of lgbt rights movement.
    Why would lgbt people want to stick with a system that's so against change and sexual freedom?

3. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Depends on what you mean by liberal. I have both tendencies in me.

4. ATT

ATT

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, my experience as being gay has transformed the way I think of many other things. I'm not only liberal because that community seems to embrace the LGBT community and diversity as a whole, but because they embrace this on a larger scale. I always hated when people made incorrect assumptions about being gay (it's a choice, a sin, etc.). Because of this, I always try to avoid making assumptions about people and their situations, especially when I'm not familiar with them firsthand. For example, I'm not going to criticize and demean people who are utilizing public assistance, because I don't know their situation (just like the people incorrectly judging me didn't know mine). My experience of being gay has allowed me to become more open-minded of people and give them the benefit of the doubt, as I so appreciated when people did that for me.

5. Brandy Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems much more so in America than Canada to me, that the "right" is so often conflated with the "religious right" that is so prevalent in the United States. I'd just like to chime in that those folks don't represent a truly conservative viewpoint at all. A true conservative believes in a person's power to define their own way in life, to be as free as possible according to their/her/his own conscience, with as little interference be it social, religious or economic as possible.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't necessarily accept the premise that most LGBT people are liberal. I think we tend to be more socially liberal, but that's rather different to being on the left of the political spectrum.

Most of the conservative political parties in western Europe lean towards socially liberal policies. With a few notable exceptions, Conservative Party politicians in the UK support LGBT rights and freedoms, racial equality, women's equality, the 24 week limit for abortions, human fertilisation/embryology, better access for people with disabilities and free health care. It's really not anathema to most British conservatives to support these ideas and some are fairly pragmatic about economic matters too.

The greatest polarisation between left and right seems to be in the United States, but certainly not in the country of the thread starter.

7. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say that the Conservatives in Britain are very libertarian now. Although the country itself is a mess (I digress...).

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m mostly an independent. I do have some things that I lean more to the left but otherwise I like to hear both sides of the story. I tend to vote based on candidate and not political party.

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe because liberalism is more accepting of people who are different than them, and LGBT people can understand what it's like to be different. Meanwhile, conservatism demonizes everyone who isn't like them, especially the LGBT community, and most LGBT people don't want to be part of a political movement that treats them like they're less than human.

#29 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  10. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer rational human being. As depending on the topic I will sway a little left or a little right.

Granted I am also a firm believer in that neither party actually cares about the "people" they represent, they just care about the things people give them suitcases full of money to care about.

11. azgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am a republican and was considering coming out completely but the way republicans are treated by other gays has been a real eye opener for me. I also own guns and enjoy shooting them and when they hear that I carry one and am a republican the way I have been treated makes me lock that closet door. I always heard over the years that everyone is welcome in a gay bar, now it seems that's true only if you are not a republican and you must agree with everything they say.

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been tempted to get my concealed carry, just to have it. As some of the job sites we go to do not allow them and I doubt a .38 special would stop an angry moose... I don't see much point in actually carrying.

13. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @PatrickUK Yes, I think that's true, here in Belgium we have a conservative party that supports gay rights. I personally have my questions concerning this party because some members do not seem to be as accepting as they should. But lots of LGBT+ people support this party anyway because except for the fact that they are LGBT+ they are conservative (often the kind of people living the heteronormative life with the exception of a having a same-sex partner). I'm not a fan of this party personally, it sometimes seems to have misogynistic tendencies too. But conservative LGBT+ people definitely exist.

14. azgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Back in the mid 80's I stopped quite a few gay bashing's from happening. Had I not been illegally concealing a pistol I would have been a victim way more often. Gays are targets and we should protect ourselves.

15. holahola

Because...racism...if we take the fundamentals of the time we are living in now: Post Transatlantic Slave Trade Era. The social hierarchy of today is a mix of race and economic class. Liberals are pro abolition. Conservatives are anti abolition. Gay people are going to be pro abolition because after blacks they are next. Therefor gay people are liberal.

16. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the US as least gay families and even having a queer identity is considered progressive, so it would make sense that most LGBT citizens are liberal and progressive. Not always of course, there's always the gay Republican here or there, but for the most part LGBT are just fighting for rights to be expanded and are therefore progressive.

17. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What? This post is just ridiculous and makes no sense whatsoever. For one thing gay stuff and racism are totally separate topics, and for another thing - since when are conservatives anti-abolition? Do you see any 'bring back slavery' protests? That idea is just so wrong and I don't even know what to say.

#37 Destin, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  18. holahola

It’s ridiculous because you know it’s true. That’s the first issue that separated liberals and conservatives in American history—to keep or get rid of slavery. Deep down conservatives (may not believe in slavery because it’s the law of the land now) but if it were legal I bet more conservatives would be for it than against it compared to liberals...*sips tea*

19. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uh....no.... the first issue separating liberals and conservatives here was the American revolution. The conservative loyalists defending King George, and the liberal revolutionaries against him. Then afterwards the conservative Whig party and the liberal democratic-republican party before it separated into two different parties. Nice try though.

Conservatives would be more against it than liberals if slavery were legal, because it goes against conservative values of self-reliance while liberals believe in having a government take care of them instead. It's not a huge jump from government to owner. It is a huge one from self-reliance to being owned though.

20. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dude...do you know a single person who identifies as being liberal that supports slavery? Like seriously. You really think people would be for it based on values for other things? You don't think that there are many, many people that understand that it's morally wrong to own a person as your slave? I'm a Democrat, I'm liberal, and I don't support slavery. Most of my friends are Democrats, most are liberal, literally none of them would support slavery.