1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why after all these years my sexuality has now “woken up” (intense feelings)?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sunbird, Apr 30, 2021.

1. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think this and that is what kept me from accepting myself, but then I started to think about it as an expression of romantic love-
    When I was in denial and/or questioning, someone on EC asked me "who could I imagine coming home to, kissing and saying "I love you" ? I finally let myself imagine that, and it was a guy- and I was like 'WOW' this is what straight people feel like when they think about the opposite sex! More importantly, I realized I wanted to be with a man romantically and my desire for sex was really a desire to physically express that intimacy - when you think of it that way-- two people physically expressing their love for one another- it's pretty hard to feel bad about :slight_smile: I still have a lot of 'shame' and external fear, but its more about 'what others might think' vs what I think.

sunbird and ErickWolf like this.
  2. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, after the divorce, I got on a dating site and chose "men seeking men." That sort of cleared things up for me.

3. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I mean is, they had choices, and I had to stop denying what I was, even to myself.

sunbird likes this.
  4. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think out2019 expressed it best. When I finally accepted that not only did I want sexual relationship but a romantic one as well with another man did I experience that WOW moment. It felt to absolutely right to me. Years of buying into the bs of heteronormative programming caused me to be ashamed of loving another man in a physical and emotional manner. I wanted and needed to be with another man period. It took some time but I worked through that shame to come out on the other side a openly, proud gay man making no excuses for completely loving another man. For me eliminating the shame and embracing my homosexuality made me whole.

#64 Contented, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    sunbird and ErickWolf like this.
  5. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for writing this, @Contented it’s so beautiful and made me feel better.

Thank you for writing. I agree with you @dirtyshirt84, it is a beautiful thing :slight_smile: What you write about process resonates with me. I feel I’m on an acceptance journey, like part of the lord of the rings gang in a large valley walking through all kinds of landscapes and strangeness and lots of beauty, where sometimes I feel super confident about everything, and other times less so.

6. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to hear that cleared things for you :slight_smile:

7. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reading this helped - it’s the same for me - what others think rather than what I think. That’s where my shame emerges. Hmm.

That question was easy for me to answer, too @out2019 ...

out2019 likes this.
  8. SteveBi45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think two people of any gender making love is a beautiful thing. It's about the connection of two people together in such an intimate way.

9. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shame also creates a lot of sexual 'confusion'. Another very powerful exercise is to imagine everyone you know is dead or, if you prefer you moved to an lgbtq city where you know no one. Would there any barriers to being gay? If you saw a cute person of the same sex and you hit it off.. would anything stop you from pursuing it? I know this is NOT reality -but it helps clarify what is outside shame and what your feelings are.

I realized when I removed all expectations, fears of being 'found out', 'roles' that I play, I realized I wanted to be gay and actually really felt good about it. It was the fear surrounding it that made be feel anxious.

Really likes this.
  10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @sunbird

It’s been a while since you posted this. How are you doing now?

I’ll be honest with you, my ex was abusive so I never actually told him about my sexuality. He still doesn’t know now. It just wasn’t an option for me.

I think you should talk to your husband, if you feel able to do so, but it don’t think he necessarily has to be the first person that you tell. If talking to a trusted friend feels right, then go with that, and with their support behind you then you may feel more able to tell your husband. There’s no way one right way to do this. It’s an incredibly hard situation to navigate, so be kind to yourself.

As to the building urge to tell people (or shout it from the rooftops), I remember feeling that too. I told a few friends and my therapist knew, which helped a very little, but it just built up again and again. It came in waves. To be honest, I started dressing more stereotypically lesbian (bought DrMartens, etc.), which I think was my way of getting it out and it didn’t really help. However, the feeling pretty much went away after I separated from my ex and moved out. As you imply, I think those feelings were being fuelled by the sense of being trapped.

How far have you got with finding a way forward?

sunbird likes this.
  11. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Sunbird, not a lot of advice from me yet but I know how you feel. I didn't fully accept my sexuality until I was in my 40s, before it always crept in and I tried to squelch it really fast. Once I admitted it to myself and accepted it I wanted to tell everyone but I decided in the end to tell new acquaintances and friends but leave things with most old friends, acquaintances and family alone unless someone asks. So my husband and child know as does one of my brothers and his wife, I've hinted it to my mother but no one else really knows about it. It's honestly not a subject that comes up all that much in regular conversation anyway, especially if you're in a heterosexual marriage.

I told my husband a few years back; he was the first person I told and it went well. I think it depends on your relationship with your husband and how comfortable you are discussing the issue with him. I also have a more or less sexless marriage, which is probably the reason I've been able to stay married for so long because I think otherwise it would be unbearable. He is asexual and I'm just not all that interested in guys sexually most of the time so we fit and have always been more friends and buddies than lovers anyway.

sunbird likes this.
  12. sunbird

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @LostInDaydreams I enjoyed reading your reply and thanks for sharing.

A lot of what’s been going on for me in the past weeks has been about the future. I’ve been learning about what the next steps may mean for me in practical terms. And then going emotionally through this change. It will take a while before I can move from where I’m now. You know when people say ”the moment when you thought you had figured everything out and then...”? That’s where I feel I’m at. That everything I’ve held dear in my life so far and thought I’ve got it going suddenly becomes very fragile in my hands.

After reading your and @GrumpyOldLady’s comment I said to myself it’s ok I don’t know how and when to discuss this issue, or if I will at all and then just move on. It makes sense @LostInDaydreams that sometimes it’s wiser not to tell. After all, it is about you and your identity which is so valuable and vulnerable at the same time.

I, too, have dressed differently, experimented with my identity to see what are the things that make a sexual identity for me. Right now I find that I’m most comfortable in my everyday clothes that I wore before I came to this realisation about my true self. I’m open for experimentation with this, though. I want to be able to wear and express myself freely.

Like GrumpyOldLady, I also feel we are buddies. Some people on this forum have written they have stayed married and it is possible to make it work. If I could, I would fix this. I cannot see this happening as I’ve now figured out what being sexually attracted to a person really means to me. I’ve noticed that I don’t feel sexual attraction towards men, only women.

To know, acknowledge and accept that I am attracted to women is such a relief! Before there was either nothing (what I call a kind of asexuality period(s)) or a attractions I would try to avoid towards women. And now I feel there’s suddenly more meaning to my life. And meaning to my past life as well. And a new feeling of aliveness. If only I was brave and embraced my true identity and cared less about fear. How could I care less about fear? What did you do?

hi @GrumpyOldLady. Thanks for sharing part of your story. I’m glad your talk with your husband went well. I have been squelching these feelings all my life. They resurfaced with full intensity and this time I felt I was ready and wanted to listen. Sometimes I feel that because we don’t talk about this kind of stuff, it’s really hard to begin to bring up my sexuality “out of blue” to him. Not sure what might help me in that?

Thanks @out2019. I dip in and out of shame. The more I learn about shame the more I feel that it has so little to do with any loving, caring and feelings about hoping for intimacy and a relationship with a woman. And much more about caring sometimes, and too often, about what others think. It’s about love in the end of the day, and the many beautiful ways you can express it.