1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first LGBT person you knew?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazydog15, May 27, 2016.

1. ForeverMe

The first person I remember meeting and knowing that they were gay was a girl from my Theatre group. The second was one of my 3 BFF's (also known as the only people who I am out to), who is Bi, and the third was that friend's girlfriend. So far after that all other LGBTQ people I know are from my theatre group, which is basically a GSA with all theatre kids, because at least half of us are LGBTQ.

2. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom has been friends with a lesbian couple for a long time, so I always knew them.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While attending a birthday party for one of my cousins, I met this guy Christian. He was a good friend of cousin's sister and she introduced us. We became cool with each other and towards the end of the night, he revealed to me that he was gay. Once I came out of the closet...but not all the way...he was the guy who took me under his wing and protected me. Initially, we were attracted to each other but somehow, we thought it would be better if we became good friends because he felt that once I got comfortable with being a gay man that I should explore for awhile instead of being in a relationship so soon.

4. Glowing Eyes

Transboy in my bio class last year. He's really extroverted and I decided to check his online accounts to see as I already had my suspicions and I turned out to be right.

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm. Probably Lance Bass.

6. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the question is, "Who was the first LGBT person that you've actually met?"

7. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    im yet to properly meet someone like you know, shake hands how do you do meet them.

if it counts, technically one of my dads friends. he was married for years, then suddenly realised he was gay, divorced, found a guy, my parents went to their wedding, how nice. he came over to show my parents the wedding photos so TECHNICALLY i actually spoke to him then so...met him?

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Older gay cousin!

9. Silver Sparrow

My half sister, a few other relatives, or some family friends. I met them all when I was really young, so I don't really know who I knew first.

10. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A unknow transwoman that was taking care of the hairs of my female schoolmates and myself for some special event at school. I really felt like talking to her, as if we were part of the same community or something even though I had no idea I was the B at the LGBT or had no gender dysphoria.

Many people were saying that she was a dude and the director just came to our classroom to say how wrong trans people were for transitioning. The director even said in front of us that she told her that she was a woman, but born in the wrong body, just to get this answer: Then I will respect you as the man you are.

An awful experience, if you ask me. I already knew what to expect if I came out.

11. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Probably my neighbour a few doors up from me?
    I don't know, I don't really speak to him but we moved onto this street when I was about five or six, although I doubt I knew that he was gay back then.

#31 Gunsmoke, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  12. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First gay guy I knew was a co-worker.
    2nd was also a co-worker.
    I believe the 3rd gay guy I met was a member of another GLBT forum.

13. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 14, my best friend came out to me as bisexual :slight_smile: I think they were the first LGBT person I knew but I'm not 100% sure

14. AmyBee

I had two really close friends growing up. My two closest. Anyway, I would gravitate between them. One was gay. We grew up together but I hid my gender from him, too. When we hit junior high, I cut and ran because I was scared. That was a really stupid thing for me to do, and cowardly. We're cool now but wow, I was so stupid.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Um... Probably, the people at this one church that had gone to numerous times. I was very young. At that time, there may have been 3 gay members. There could have been a little more but these 3 are the only ones that stick out to me. I'm having a hard time trying to recall the order I met them in. I didn't realize they were gay. I was a little scared around everyone because I didn't know them. There was a gay couple of two guys, and the priest. None of them ever treated me poorly. The priest was especially kind and supportive of me and my differences. It makes sense to me now, knowing what she had to have experienced. She actually was 'asked' to leave when the parrishoners found out that she was gay. There was a really big stink about it. I think this was in either the late 90's or early 00's. I attended part of the meeting with my friend. We didn't get why everyone was so upset. We ended up being pulled out of the meeting. Meanwhile, our families were seriously debating whether or not to explain the situation to us. Long story short, the whole situation was incredibly homophobic and stupid. It makes me sad just thinking about it.

16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently I met my dad's old boss when I was 2 and he was gay with a husband but I can't remember any of it. Aside from then, It wasn't until I got to highschool but my highschool had a bunch of LGBT people.

17. Fehu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The first person I met was a guy on livejournal. He was pretty open about it too and wrote a lot about his relationships. I don't remember having any specific thoughts or reactions about him when I met him and when I read about all these things.

18. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to think about this, then I remembered. I had to only be like 3-5 yo and this friend of my parents taught me how to whistle which I thought was the best thing in the world, his name was sunny. there was a picture on the fridge of this guy from when he was a kid, after looking at it I asked my mom why his name was sunny, and my mom said because he is gay. I was like oh ok.

I still whistle all the time, so its like he taught me a life long skill. Basically he taught me how to barely make a whistle sound then I became obsessed with it until I was pretty darn good/annoyed everyone around me.

19. kronixx

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One of the transgender kids in my elementary school. Didn't find out what transgender meant until SEVENTH GRADE. Lol.

20. L0ser

A friend of mine I met in 8th grade. He was the friend of a friend, and lived in a different state so we don't see each other often. We got along really well, and then when he later casually dropped that he was gay I was surprised but pretty nonchalant about it. A few other friends there said it was awkward, and they felt a little uncomfortable around him after that. I thought that was completely unfair, and told them as much.

I wasn't aware I was bi at the time, but their reactions still made me feel icky.