1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who smokes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fiorino, Jun 18, 2008.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. No

168 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. I did, but I quit.

10 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Sammit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do. I'm supposed to quit though because my lungs are weak from previous smokers in my life and I have asthma. It's just too damn good to stop though.

2. smilealways

smilealways Guest

I didnt say everything :grin:

Anyway, I dont enjoy it.:eusa_sile

3. Steam Giant

I do drink, maybe one night every 2-3 months at most, once a year at least, but the thing is, I don't habitually drink. Health problems from smoking once every 2-3 months would be similarly negligible.

Yes, I am currently in recovery from an addiction, and will be 9 months clean this Tuesday ^^ so trust me, I know how hard it is to quit. And that's just it, I took steps to quit because I knew that what I was doing was damaging (even threatening) my life and hurting those around me. Quitting is hard. Mega hard. But those are pretty significant motivating factors, and are both present in cigarette addiction as well.

4. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont smoke and i never intend to

i believe it is 'to each is their own'

5. Daniel

Wow. Congratulations!

6. grapevine fires

I used to smoke cigarettes, but I quit a while ago. I wasn't ever a heavy smoker, once every few days, but I decided that smoking didn't fit my lifestyle, so I stopped. My ex smoked frequently, it doesn't really appeal to me, although I love the smell of a nice cigar... it brings back so many memories...

7. riley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i used to smoke 2 or 3 a day, but ive quit now cos my bf doesnt like it.

8. Adryen

Adryen Guest

I used to smoke 10 or more a day. Even worse when I would drink. I chose to quit drinking and smoking. Both habits were getting way too out of control. I'm happy to say that im 2 months and a week sober from both. YAY ADRYEN!!

9. ltb2511

I dont smoke! I cough if the smoke comes near me due to asthma.

10. Poring

ditto.

I may die a painful and horrible death if I even tried :eek:

11. Nope, i just hate the smell, both of my parents smoke and it's put me off for life. And it singes your eyelashes which means you have to spend like, twice as much on mascara lol.
    on a serious note though, if somethings gonna kill me, i'd rather it would be an escaped rhino or an oncoming bus or something, not the lilttle white, over rated and far too expensive, sticks.

12. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

Depends on what kinda smoke :icon_bigg

Actually I don't really smoke anything habitually, although I do enjoy a cig or gar here and there when having a drink. Used to smoke nearly a pack a day in high school but went cold turkey when I realized just how much money was being wasted.

However a nice toke seems to keep my mind right from time to time

13. Kirakishou

As if the health problems it brings isn't enough of an incentive not to smoke, I just hate hate hate the smell of cigarette smoke.
    It is absolutely foul and the worst part is it lingers on your clothes.

14. Zac4

i dont smoke cigs

:lol:

15. RaRa

I smoke Hookah.

Mmmm. I want some now. =)

16. Apocalypte

I don't smoke. I think it's a disgusting habit and such a waste of money. Unfortunately, both my siblings smoke.

17. Absentminded

I do. From time to time. I've smoked cigar, cigarettes, pot...I can't stand the smell of 2nd hand smoke though, or cigar smoke. Both make me sick. I'm more of a social smoker though, if I'm offered. it really all depends on my mood.

18. Selqet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nope. I don't mind others doing it all that much, but I've got asthma, so whenever I'm around it my lungs just decide to turn off.

Needless to say, that has kind of kept me from ever bothering to try to take it up.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never smoked. Alcoholism runs in my family and I never have had any desire to put myself at risk.

One of the things I'm amazed is not more widely known and discussed among young people is how insidious the cigarette addiction process is. I read the entire thread and saw a bunch of people saying things like "Oh, I only do it socially", or "Only at a bar when I drink" or "Only a couple a month."

There was a large study published some years ago in Nature, the most respected British medical journal, that looked at cigarette smoking among youth, over 10 years. The most startling conclusions are as follows

Of the students in the study who smoked less than one cigarette a month (average age 15:

90% said that they did not want to, and would never become, regular smokers.

Of this group (remember, less than one cigarette a month):

5 years later, over 90% were pack-a-day (or more) smokers. Of those, 60 somethign percent said they intended to quit within 6 months.

5 years after that, 70% of those who said they would quit were still pack-a day smokers.

The tobacco industry has spent 30+ years and *billions* of dollars engineering this product and manipulating nicotine levels and other additives to develop a product that is as addictive as it can possibly be. This isn't conjecture; it is documented evidence.

The industry carefully engineers the psychological message they send, and they start sending it to children at a very young age. Now that most tobacco ads are illegal in the US, they use other means, such as paying off hollywood producers to increase the number of characters shown smoking in PG and PG13 films, having their logos at sporting events, and other things.

If you are an occasional smoker, unless you are one of a very, very small percentage of the population (less than 5%) that is apparently resistant to the addictive effects of nicotine, the likelihood that your occasional smoking will lead to regular smoking is nearly 100%. The likelihood that you will try and fail to quit at least 2 or 3 times is also close to 90%.

Experienced scientists and medical professionals have compared the risk of addiction from smoking cigarettes to the risk of addiction from trying heroin.

It's certainly your choice to smoke if you wish to, but if you do (or are thinking about starting), consider that your choice is probably not really yours; it has been programmed into you by the tobacco companies since you were 4 or 5. Do you really want to buy into their addiction machine and enrich them further?

20. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I don't smoke and I hate it when my clothes get impregnated all over with that smell. But I've gotta say that I find the act of smoking kinda sexy.