1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who did you want to be while growing up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JaimeGaye, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone has a hero while growing up.
    Someone they wish they could be.
    For most boys of my generation it was a movie star or the characters they portrayed, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin.
    Sports stars were big favorites too, Larry Byrd, Michael Jordan, Hulk Hogan.

As for me, I always wanted to be the Princess or slave girl who was rescued by the hero and carried off to live a life happily ever after.

How about you?
    Who was your childhood or even adult hero you've always wanted to be?

2. Loves books

I always wanted to work in medicine. I always wanted to be a nurse then as I got older doctor and then surgeon. I got even older and realised I wasn't smart enough for a doctor or surgeon and not physically, strong enough for a nurse. These days I'm happy with just watching greys anatomy.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to dream of being a resistant during WW2, since I unfortunately (or fortunately?) can't go back in time I had to settle for fighting against the injustice of today's world. To be honest, my love/geekeness for history and especially WW2 and thoroughfully studying how the passiveness of a population led to millions of people being killed in the most gruesome ways (event that have been reproduced many times throughout history and continue to happen today) has definitely shaped the person I am today. I will never be a resistant during WW2 but I make it a point to stand up against any injustice I see so I reckon younger me would be pretty proud of the person I have become (though I low-key still wish I could go back in time and change the course of history!).

I know lots of my friends dreamed about being princesses and getting married to a prince but I have always been very conscious that "real life royalties" were often total a******* who would eat their weight in food while their kingdom starved to death and that princesses would get married off to their 50yo uncle at age 12 or so lol so I never really day dreamed about being an actual princess and the disney princesses I knew didn't really have a life that appealed to me (though Mulan was pretty badass).

If I could be any character from a movie or anything I would probably love to play any badass super agent girl to be honest. I used to love Charlie's Angels and definitely would have enjoyed being part of the squad! haha

4. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to be a hockey player or a police officer. But of course that didn't work out. I loved watching Spiderman and Superman. So maybe deep down I wanted to be a superhero!

5. Farmgal

Farmgal Guest

Maria Tallchief, she was a ballerina before minoritys were accepted in major ballet companies. Also Dian Fossey who studied gorillas in Africa. I loved both of them as a kid.

6. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I wanted to be rich and powerful.

I still do.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't remember what I said I wanted to be before grade 8 tbh. Since then, I've known I wanted to be a biologist, and as I go on it's becoming clearer what specifically i want to work on.

8. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I think since I was little I've always wanted to be a writer. I've put that on the back burner for the meantime though, as my full-time job keeps me pretty busy as it is. I do miss writing though, and I often think about picking up where I left off in my writing so that I can continue. It's tough.

Otherwise, I don't remember ever wanting to be any specific person though. I didn't have any heros or idols growing up either...I think my mom has always been the person I look up to and admire the most though.

9. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to be a paleontologist and also play soccer professionally. When Mia Hamm came on the scene, she was my idol.

10. RGS

RGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think my dream was pretty like yours. On childhood I used to imagine myself being rescued by a handsome prince and then we'd get married and live together forever. And nowadays I'm still waiting for my prince.

11. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always wanted to be the edgy emo girl who didn't care. I couldn't afford the clothes for it. Now I can. I'm not trying any more, but my fashion choices tend to gravitate in that direction sometimes.

I know, I know, not that exciting. I'm really not the kind of person to think beyond who I am now. I never picture or think about who I'll be at 35. I only think about who I want to be right now. As a teenager, I wanted to be the edgy one right then. Now I just want to be good at saving money.

12. gayguy1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a train engineer. Just something about driving those big and powerful machines was so cool. Even today I love the deep sound of a train engine, but I don't think I would want to drive/run them. Nowadays my goal is to eventually open up a small bakery. This of course is quite a few years down the road, but it is something I would like to do.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to be a teacher. I used to "play school" with my brother when we were kids. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I did.

I am now a high school teacher studying to become a university professor. Things worked out fortuitously. :slight_smile:

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A cop. I don't wanna do that now though.

15. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted to be an author/illustrator when I was very young. Then I wanted to be an artist for a bit. Then in high school I discovered that I was fascinated by the process of how animated movies and special effects were made, and knew what I wanted to do with my life. I now have a degree in animation, but am nowhere near becoming one professionally.

16. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wanted to be an artist, then physicist, then a hacker (who cares whether it's freelance IT work or malicious or both), now I'm returning to wanting to be, foremost, an artist. Art is what a I really enjoy, and though people encourage me to draw my family pushes me to focus on other things more... like I have time to focus more on academics and draw more...

#16 Humbly Me, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
  17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to want to live alone in the forest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Still do, but now I would bring a certain someone with me :grin:

18. Flowey

Bread seller

19. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a young child I wanted to be either a city bus driver, a radio traffic reporter, or a garbage man. My family used to every once in a while take the bus downtown, and it was an adventure for me. I still ride the bus regularly. With the radio traffic reporter, I had been (and still am) very interested in roads and maps. And as far as the garbage man goes, my brother and I used to love to see the garbage truck come down our street. It was a big truck with lots of moving parts, what more could a boy want. Plus, we lived on a quiet no outlet street. Buses and semis didn't come down our street, and it was extremely rare to see a fire engine or other truck on our street.

20. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    JamieGaye...I always wanted to be a teacher. Also, because of a divorce and then an absent father, I wanted children so I could be the father to them that I didn't have. In spite of being gay, I managed to do both...I feel very, very fortunate.