1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one of your parents took it better when you came out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, May 10, 2017.

?

Who took it better when you came out?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2017.
  1. My mom was more accepting than my dad

25.8%
  2. My dad was more accepting than my mom

15.2%
  3. They were both accepting

25.8%
  4. Neither of them were accepting

6.1%
  5. I haven't come out to them yet

13.6%
  6. Other (please specify)

13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you came out which one of your parents took it better and who took it worse? Did they both take it well or were they both against it?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They were both accepting. Had no issues

3. ForeverRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only ever came out to my dad so I wouldn't know

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents were both accepting. I could tell my dad was a little disappointed at first but he came around.

5. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They were both excepting. My mum was just able to "verbalize" her acceptance better, so at first I couldn't really tell what my father thought about it:lol:

6. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mum pretended to take it alright, even though I had my doubts. Then the next week she outted me to my brother and dad! My dad then went a bit radical so neither of them took it well. I'm still super happy I came out to them because it took so much courage.

7. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I said other because I haven't told my dad yet, he may already know, but for a few personal reasons that don't even necessarily have to do with lgbt stuff in general, I have no intention of ever coming out to him and view coming out to him as being pointless. My Mom was really supportive when I came out though.

8. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom came to terms with it eventually, but I don't respect my dad enough to tell him.

9. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I picked other, as I am not out to them as bi and kind of , kind of not as trans. My mom took it better, but not as well as I would like, and has since faded into the background, so I don't know what they think of this and I don't know if they think it was a phase or something.

10. BreakinDaylight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad definitely took it better. He always figured I wasn't straight, so he was prepared for that, and he doesn't have any issues with having a son instead of a daughter.

11. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My parents *found out*, I didn't come out. My dad took it better than my mom did. I feel like my mom had a total internal break down over it.

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both were accepting. Even though I live in a very republican area, that stuff is not an issue here.

13. iamanorange209

So, I think I came out to my mom first and her reaction was not the best. She was upset at first and then confused. Then again, I came out to her while we were on our way back home. I tried yet again to talk to her about it and she still was really upset about it; of course I made the same mistake and asked her after a long day of work. I finally caught her a good time and she said she'd love me and support me no matter what, but she still needs time to understand. I completely understand since my generation is so much different from her's. I'm just very thankful.

I later came out to my dad and he was supportive right off the bat. He said whether I love a man or a woman when I'm older (or even now), he will still love me because I'm his daughter. This was really a huge relief since I couldn't talk to my mom at the time due to her reaction and asked him for a lot of advice about crushes/feelings/all that jazz.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I came out as transgender, it was a terrible ordeal. Both parents, particularly my father, were vehemently against it. My mother was more compassionate, and I feel that she would have come around eventually, if not for her siding with my father out of nature.

I can only hope things will become better in the future with my parents.

15. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think my dad has ever made a comment about my sexual orientation/later gender identity. My mom is very vocal about how accepting she is in a way that I find obnoxious and insincere. So I'd say about even in different ways lol.

16. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted neither of them were accepting, though I think my dad took it a bit better than my mom. I remember my mom telling me she brought a DAUGHTER into this world, not a SON. I don't get her reasoning because I didn't come out as transgender, I came out as lesbian (at the time). I'm still female, I just happen to like women.

When I came out as bisexual, she took it a bit better, but said that she doesn't buy it and that I have to prove it to her. How on earth do you prove your attractions??? Homosexuality comes up a lot in the household and I feel like screaming every time she bashes the community, or someone else says something negative or anti-LGBT. They act like it's a choice, that it's unnatural and of course they come forth with Bible verses :rolle:

So I think my vote was correct in that neither of them were accepting. Sadly. :icon_sad:

17. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say they were over the moon about it, but they didn't react badly either. From what I recall, they said: "If you're happy, that's the most important thing". I'd built it up into a monster over a long period of time, but it was nothing of the sort really.

18. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum said she was expecting it and she was pretty accepting. She still had some ignorant views about bisexuality but they weren't put on moral grounds, she just hadn't thought of some things, so I educated her. We're completely fine now, we talk about guys and girls like it's the most normal thing on earth, because it is.

My dad is a whole other story, he grew up in a more conservative environment, he's one of those people who think gay people are promiscuous and don't understand the difference between gender, sex and sexual orientation. He also likes to act like a big scholar and throw around outdated views of Freud and possible psychological causes of homosexuality. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: He knows it all and he's stubborn. So initially he thought I had psychological issues and my feelings aren't real etc. Now he's making some progress. I explained to him that love is love, and told him he hurt me when he said my feelings aren't real. He said he can't blame me for kissing my girlfriend publicly because he also does that when he's in love with a woman. He also told me I've had more time to "process" my bisexuality and research those things and that he needs time. Also that he loves me and wants me to be happy. I replied that I am happy and that he shouldn't worry. When I said I'm happy, he told me to say his greetings to my girlfriend (whom he has met before).

19. StarlessSky

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mum was accepting but my dad died when I was 9 so I have no idea whether he would accept me or not.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people