1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which name should be the author

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Katelyn93, May 19, 2020.

1. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, I was quite excited to be informed that one of my short stories I wrote was actually getting published in a compilation book recently. That makes me feel like I can now officially call myself a writer and not feel like I'm lying entirely.

Anyhow, the publisher asked for a bio with the initial draft you mail them, and the one I supplied then was about me being a closeted trans women and here's my hobbies and I signed the mail with Katelyn (chosen name). The mail address and associated Gmail records as well as the word doc author was my given name though, how most people know me. This prompted them to ask me a few moments ago which name they should attribute my writing to.

I feel sort of proud of my first ever published piece of writing and want to show it off but can't do it or prove that it's mine if it has my chosen name on it. That feels like the logical thing to fo for now. Not to mention I'll have to ask them to alter the bio of they go with my given name so that I don't out myself.

That said... It's upsetting me a little. I feel confused. I don't know if I'll ever transition, even though I still think of it often I just don't see it happening, not socially or medically or anyway, but then again it's who I am. I feel sad but maybe it's just temporary.

I have a few hours until its morning here and then I'll have to reply.

What would you do?

#1 Katelyn93, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    gravechild likes this.
  2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is very cool to have a piece of writing published.
    That’s tough. I’d say if you’re unhappy using your given name, to use your chosen name. Though both options have their dilemmas.

The first option you get to use your chosen name and have a piece of writing acknowledge the true you. Though, you won’t be able to flaunt that you’ve had a story published without outing yourself.

The second option you use your given name, and even though that’s not you and you may feel like you’re lying, you still get to flaunt that your writing has been published.

Your profile says you’re out to a few people, if you use your chosen name, could you flaunt your work to those select people and tell them to keep the publishing/news private?

It would suck to keep this to yourself and not tell anyone, because it is very exciting, but I would also consider if this publishing would get out and if people would connect the dots. If not, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to use your chosen name even if you couldn’t share the news.

Katelyn93 likes this.
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, congrats on the achievement! It's certainly not easy to have a piece of writing published in an anthology.

If you are concerned about outing yourself, and as it is upsetting you, would perhaps indicating that your chosen name is your pen name, and you would like this to be used? J. K. Rowling for example used the pen name 'Robert Galbraith' when writing crime fiction. I wonder, if using your chosen name as a pen name for now, would address some of the concerns that you are having.

Katelyn93 likes this.
  4. Katelyn93

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you, I'm quite proud of it. I'm trying to write more for their next short story submissions, here's hoping I can come up with something worth using again.

That's a wonderful idea. Thank you for that. Unfortunately I ended up letting them know to scrap the trans details and use my given name. I think I can always have a "first" again if I do change my mind or get the opportunity to transition someday. A second first. That would still be cool.

As for Hawk's remark about me being out to some. I was. I had several people in my life who knew and lots of them were supportive. Sadly I've lost contact or aren't friends with the people who used to be supportive anymore and those who remain might know but they don't like it so I keep it to myself around them. If I were to boast about it around them, they would kill the whole happy vibe by asking me why I felt it needed to be published in that name. Like my girlfriend. It's better to avoid that I think. For now.

But thank you both. I appreciate the answers.