1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to avoid traveling as a gay couple?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared J, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Jared J

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a pretty liberal city that's comfortable going out with guys and gay dating is widely accepted and looked upon as just any other couple out on a date. I've traveled to Mexico and California with guys I've been seeing and while we stayed in mostly tourist areas, I for one have never felt discriminated against.

My new boyfriend and I want to take a trip to a place neither have been to, we are both fully vaccinated and have some money and time to travel... we are thinking the east coast, maybe New Orleans, florida, washington dc.. etc

Fiender likes this.
  2. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I would imagine any of the places you just listed would be fine for travel as a gay couple, I would wonder if New Orleans is a great spot to go right now just because of Hurricane Ida. Are they back on their feet yet?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost any major city in the US should be fine. Even places like Miami have a huge gay population. Personally, I'd avoid any red state at present simply because of Covid risk, but outside of that, the sky's pretty much the limit.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are thinking of travelling outside your country you will need to exercise caution and do some research. Most of the major cities and tourist areas in Western Europe are fine and the same applies to Canada, Australia and New Zealand. That's not to say it's perfect everywhere, but you should be okay in the main. In general, the highly developed nations of the world are most tolerant.

I would caution LGBT members against travelling to almost all of Africa and the Middle East and much of Asia too. Eastern Europe is also very tricky, as are some countries in Central and South America.

The LGBT tourist needs to do research, if they wish to travel with total freedom and openness.

5. Jared J

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We ended up booking 2 trips. The first is to Cabo at an all inclusive, the 2nd is to Colorado for some skiing.

Fiender likes this.