1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out to my friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShyTaco, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ShyTaco

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my friends told me today that they were transgender. I realized several months ago that I was nonbinary and almost came out to them at that moment, but I didn't over fear of people around us overhearing; I'm not ready to publicly come out. I've been thinking about coming out to my friends for a while, but I don't know how or when a good time would be. Any ideas?

2. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd definately recomend talking to you friend. Talking to people on this site is good, but having someone to talk to in real life, someone you actually know and care about is way better. Since your friend is trans you can be fairly sure they will be accepting, so that makes them a great first person to tell.
    As for when to do it that's kind of up to you. You could wait till your alone together somewhere. This might be the best course if you really don't want to risk someone overhearing. If you don't want to wait for an opertunity to come up naturally, you could always send them a text or something saying you want to get together and talk some time. Make it clear you want to talk to them about something, that way they will be expecting it, and will ask if you chicken out. Alternitively, you could always tell them over text, facebook, or something similar. Then you wouldn't have to say it, just hit send. Once they know you could always get together and talk more if you want.
    Anyway, hopefully this helps. Good luck telling your friend. Hope it goes well.