1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you know?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was twelve I got real depressed and started feeling dysphoria (despite puberty having started when I was eleven, I had (wrongly) assumed my body would grow to make exactly like I was before, only at twelve did it hit me I'd be stuck like this forever)
    Started coming out at thirteen to my parents and friends.
    As a kid I never really questioned my gender, I just assumed I'd inevitably grow up to have a mustache. I really liked dresses as a kid though, and all my friends are girls, so I didn't really show the 'signs'.

#41 Theboythat, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Cam7125

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm 19, and I just recently started accepting myself as agender.

3. Polka Dots

I've experienced various forms of gender dysphoria since childhood; I tried to express my feelings to my mother when I was twelve but that didn't go anywhere. This was before the internet so I had no idea if how I felt was even possible -- hell, I didn't even know the terms transgender, cisgender, etc. existed.

Fast-forward to my mid-20s. I knew enough about myself to ask my husband to never refer to me as a woman or girl (this was when we first started dating). Here I am in my 30s and I know without a doubt I fall under the trans* umbrella but am still trying to figure out where.

#43 Polka Dots, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew I was different since I was around 4 years old; I was always very masculine, hated typical "girl's" activities, considered myself to be "one of the boys" and wore my step-brother's hand-me-downs when my Mom wasn't deciding my wardrobe. I used to daydream of introducing myself to a new class as a boy, and my usual excuse for the aforementioned behavior was "boys can do it; why can't I?". My mother was disconcerted and embarrassed by my odd personality, and tried to make me conform to feminine stereotypes. I never felt much dysphoria at that point, but it caught up to me hard at puberty. I lapsed into anxiety and self-loathing, and felt a deep sense of something being seriously wrong. I didn't learn about other gender identities until entering my high school's GSA, and I concluded that I was transgendered at the age of 17. I initially identified as genderqueer, but eventually settled on FtM.