1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you know?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PlantSoul, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Quiet Raven

It was around when I hit puberty I started to get really uncomfortable. And I was extremely envious of women for their bodies.

The more time passed and I thought about it I realized, I really want to be a girl. But I just denied it mostly. Didn't really know the terms for it, never told anyone. I figured it was just curiousity, and that everyone experiences it. But it wasn't until around late last year I really accepted the term "transgender". And really decided to do something about it.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've known since I was a kid that I was different. I was always way more masculine than the others. I was 19 when I realized that I was not cis, and 20 when I came out as transgender.

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

These posts give me hope. A large chunk of the reason why I continually doubt myself is the fact that I only discovered my gender identity conflicts at such a "late age". I thought every trans person figured it out immediately :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really little, maybe four or so. I never did anything about it (as far as coming out goes) until I was 16, and now I'm taking the first big steps in a few weeks.

5. Lazuri

I think people most commonly figure it out at 20-30 years of age, from what I've seen. I think the average is going to lower in the coming years due to the growing awareness, though.

6. WillowRose

Knew that I wasn't "one of the boys" around 12/13.

Started considering that I could be a trans woman? 32/33.

Accepted and was convinced that I am, indeed, a trans woman: 52.

That's considerably later than average, but (I think) not unheard-of. One of the things I've become convinced of is that every trans* person has a unique story and a different journey.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

As of now I consider myself cis, but when I was a small child, maybe around five or six, I remember wishing I were a girl, mostly because I had little in common with my male friends and the girls thought I was a "yucky boy". I enjoyed wearing dresses when I was that age, and I remember dreading the idea of going through male puberty, but as it turns out I really do like my body now. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I can't believe that I'm seeing the "me" that others see, sometimes my masculinity takes me by surprise, but not in a bad way. On the inside I feel like I'm a mixture of both, androgynous I guess you could say, but I like how my male features work out for me.

8. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I wasn't a girl when I was 4-5, by a year later I knew I wanted to transition to being a boy. I figured by the time I was old enough, medicine would be advanced enough to allow me to be a man. I also had a feeling it wouldn't be taken well by my family (which ended up being accurate) so I never did say anything.

#28 Ronin, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  9. Harp Grey

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always felt different and when I was 12-ish and got hit by puberty I sensed that something wasn't quite right but didn't really know what it was. I guess most people feel slightly awkward by their puberty so I didn't think much about it. Then thoughts and feelings came and went and when I was 15 I could finally put words to it.

10. DarkWolf

Out Status:
    Some people
    Just recently when I was thinking about how my childhood doesn't really show much of anything that would indicate I was transgender. And thinking about that made me remember that once when I was a kid I imagined what if I was a boy and I drew myself as a boy and I came up with a male name that started with the same letter as my name.

In middle school I started feeling weird about my body but I couldn't figure out why so I ignored it.

I first discovered about transgender folks and that transitioning was possible when I was fifteen.

I started identifying as agender when I was 18. It was also then I realized I had a bit of dysphoria.

I realized I was transgender a month ago when I first put on my binder.

11. wanderinggirl

I'm still not 100% sure of anything. But I don't feel too bad presenting as female; it just felt like a costume. I thought I was weird and had low self-esteem, both of which I needed to hide. I don't like wearing big baggy clothes and i love fashion; it took me a while to realize that it wasn't the femininity of female clothes that I hated, but the female-ness and the way they made my body look. And lately if I wear a women's t-shirt or tank top, or if I don't bind, I feel like it's embarrassing, if that makes sense. I thought I was okay in women's jeans, but now that I found skinny fit men's pants that I love, I wear them pretty much every day.

But because I'm not very butch, it took me a while to find maleness that's not too masculine, fi that makes sense.

So... inklings early on, but took me til age 25/26?

#31 wanderinggirl, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  12. StellarJ1

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Last year, i had a thought that i was gay come to the surface of my consciousness and i got verrrrry nervous and sweaty. I was 36 years old. About six months later i started walking differently and wanted to wear womans underwear. Which made me feel sexy...then i started to muse if 2 of my friends, whom were gay, also felt like "ladies". I realized they didnt.
    Now its 1.5 years later. Im 37 and have been presenting for 2 months and have been on hrt for a week.
    I still have been fighting it, but i continue to transition. It makes me feel safe, at times.

I have know somethings has been off gor a very long while. I am divorced and have suffered from dissociative behavior, anxiety, depression, and autoimmune issues for a long time.
    I dont know if they are connected, but i stopped taking antidepressants 1 week after i started presenting.
    This is such a trip. I hope im doing the true thing and not deceiving myself.

13. antibinary

Deep down, since I was 5 but I've only been able to put a label to it in the last few months.

14. cameroni

cameroni Guest

When I was fifteen. Um, I didn't think I was male though, I thought I was either genderfluid or agender. It wasn't until November 2014 that I fully realised my gender identity. I've been a bit scared and reluctant to acknowledge it to be completely honest.

Looking back to when I was an earlier teenager, there were signs then (e.g. binding with a home made binder made from an old polo shirt I cut up and sewed back together, wearing masculine clothing, being uncomfortable with my birth name etc)

15. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I began to question my gender when I was 13. I knew for sure when I was 15.

I never really had any huge moments when I was younger that would show I was trans from a young age. I just always remember having to shove myself into the "girl" label and I assumed that was normal. I've hated my birth name ever since I can remember, and I've never been a big fan of the more feminine parts of my body. It just took a while for it all to fall into place.

16. SkyColours38

Until I went to an all-girls' school at age 13, I was always referring to myself as 'butch' and being 'the guy' in games. After that I tried to fit in and went into super-deep denial until about a year ago, when I was on a year out at a progressive boarding school in Vermont and finally felt safe exploring my identity. Suddenly everything made so much more sense, and it has been really funny for me to go through all my old memories of creating situations that made my masculinity temporarily more socially acceptable (e.g. picking a cowboy theme for my birthday party, among INFINITE other examples) and realise that they're all connected. I'm always very amused at how oblivious I've been, because, seriously... there's just so much evidence, and I denied it all until so recently!

17. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
  18. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was 32.
    Hints: my whole life.

19. Paisley

I definitely knew in middle school. All ways daydreamed about being a girl, dreamt about it all the time too. But now I realize that I've kind of always known. Always playing with dolls, making dresses for my teddy bears, stealing mom's nail polish.

20. justjade

I had really been wondering all my life, but I didn't realize it until I was 18. I came to the realization of my current gender identity at 24.