1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you "know" your orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by GhostDog98, Jul 12, 2020.

?

What age?

1. <11

11.6%
  2. 12-13

14.0%
  3. 13-14

16.3%
  4. 14-15

7.0%
  5. 15-16

2.3%
  6. 16-18

7.0%
  7. >18

41.9%
  1. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    13 when had sex with an older boy even though I had a sort of girlfriend at the time. But there isn't a set age to figure it out, some of us found out early or too early and some later in life.

2. Kevins1197

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’ve always sort of known I was attracted to boys growing up, 11 when I really felt that tingly feeling around other boys but 17/18/19 when started admitting it to myself.

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted 13 / 14 in the poll.

My first crush was when I was 11 but I tried to ignore that and push it to the back of my mind. Then, when I was 12 / 13 I started questioning and came to the conclusion that I was bisexual and I came out to my best friend at the time. However, the label didn't seem to fit quite right.

A few days before my 14th birthday, I got into a few conversations about the subject. People kept asking me how it was possible that I just didn't know if I was bisexual or not. Unfortunately, the wrong crowd overheard one of these conversations and they were not happy. At first, it started small. Exclusion from group discussions. However, it escalated. On the day before my 14th birthday, a group of preteens and teenagers ganged up and physically attacked me along with hurling around homophobic insults.

I didn't tell my parents about it at the time and did my best to hide any form of injury or pain. On my 14th birthday, my mind had all these thoughts swirling around in my brain. I was spat at by a friend of the attackers on my birthday.

Earlier in the day when I was swimming in a pool, I was questioning what to make of everything. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that I definitely liked girls. However, I also realised that I don't have any interest in guys and that I could just be gay rather than bisexual. I saw one of the bullies looking down on me from a balcony and I felt a sense of dread. There was a lot going on that day, emotionally speaking.

#23 Canterpiece, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was in my late teens to early 20'stages I was hit on by many men. I always turned them down thinking I am not gay. It was'not until age 56 that I came out as bi. Funny how they knew so long ago. I say bi because my girlfriend got me to come out. Buthe now lean more as gay

5. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always known.

6. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it was as I hit my early 50’s. Now in retrospect I see clear indications I was gay most
    Likely from my teens. It took me that long to figure it out. As they say better late than never!

7. GayAzanian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't ever remember being attracted to girls. I generally felt like I was obliged to try or desire to be in a relationship with a girl. But I don't recall being physically or romantically attracted to a girl. I did have strong emotions toward some of my male friends before turning 13, but my understanding of romance was not developed enough to decide whether this was love or not. However, when I was about 13, I discovered a video on my dad's laptop where a man and a woman were having sex. When I saw that video I knew for a fact that I was gay and that I was bottom. Not only did I have no regard for the woman whatsoever, but I had a sense that the guy in the video was the kind of guy I wanted to date and become sexually entangled with.

Snowqueen likes this.
  8. Loves books

Thought it was straight at 12. The ages of 13-17 I either thought I was bisexual or lesbian I knew I liked girls but I wasn’t sure about boys. At 17 I knew for sure that males were not for me. At that age I finally had the epiphany that the girls that I had ‘admired’ since childhood were actually crushes.