1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you go to your first Gay Pride?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Galaxy98, May 15, 2022.

1. Galaxy98

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m making progress but I’m still accepting my sexuality. I’m not out to my family at all, I’ve gone to a couple LGBTQ+ groups in my area (which make me feel better but I haven’t told my mom that’s what the groups are) but I haven’t even actually said the words yet there.
    I live near a big city whose Pride is massive, and in 2 weeks. I’m scared of any large events in general but Pride seems over the top. I want to go but I don’t know how I’d even explain it to my mom.
    At what point in your journey did you go to your first Gay Pride?

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that I went to Chicago Pride in 2018 as a "straight" ally. If I get to go this year it will be as a member of the community.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my first pride the year after I came out. I'm not a fan of big gatherings or large public events so it took quite a bit of convincing.

If you are comfortable with it and would like to go, I guess the question becomes, do you need to explain it? A lot of people attend pride events or watch the parade from the sidelines as a supporter or even just to see it. :slight_smile: