1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Your Opinion of the Confederate Flag?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhereWeWere, Nov 25, 2015.

1. aussielefty

not that I know much about american history (aussie )
    but why was the General lee with the flag on the roof?

I gather he was important enough for them to use on the car in the show.
    if that's the same flag I'm thinking of..

if I'm wrong please let me know, kindly ... thanks

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate it when I see them on the back of a pick up truck! Ugh they're so damn annoying.

3. Plattyrex

He was the general of the Confederate army during the civil war.

4. Jellal

I don't like it. People who fly it out of pride for the past are neglecting the history that comes with it, and cherrypicking the parts they like. However, just because someone flies this flag doesn't say that they're a "bad person." Just that they hold a certain kind of ignorance in their mind.

5. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh man, I LOVE the Confederate flag. I think it represents Southern pride and I'm proud enough to wave it around.

6. Gen

Gen

The confederate flag has nothing to do with southern pride.

The confederate flag hardly had anything to do with the confederacy or southern history at all. The confederate flag was a battle flag that was popularized by the soldiers of confederate general Robert E. Lee. Not even the confederate soldiers as a whole, but the men of a single general. At least the Swaztika had a history before it was appropriated by the Nazis. The confederate flag was designed by a man who explicitly voiced that it symbolized white supremacy and used by a man to symbolize an army who was fighting for the right to enslave an entire race.

The flag has absolutely no basis in American history other than prior to the bloodshed. Not a lovely southern tea party. Not a single community festival. Nothing. Any southerner who is truly educated on their history or heritage would never wave that flag. Though I suppose that living in the comfort of ignorance is what most of the inhabitants of this world do best.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The confederate flag is a symbol that identifies its bearer as a person who fails to accept commonly accepted human rights precepts. It identifies the bearer as an enemy of the community who undermines, rather than deserves, its protections.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know much about it to be honest.

I'll have to learn more about it, but from what I hear, it doesn't seem to be a really respectable flag...

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know much about it to be honest.

I'll have to learn more about it, but from what I hear, it doesn't seem to be a really respectable flag...

10. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's mad racist

11. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ive lived in the south since i was 10, and i find the fact that these still are made is proof that entire groups of people just cant keep with the times. Many of these people just cant accept the fact that the south lost before they were even born.

I do not have any sympathy for confederate flags.

12. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It can be very racist, or very southern.
    Here it is usually racist (at my school people say they want to get all rebel flags on a truck and on them and go through black areas, also say you should be able to murder a black or hispanic legally).

13. thatchickcj

Growing up in Georgia, I find them highly insensitive (because it also reflects the seperation of the us based on economic differences and slaves/rights of slaves/etc). It's usually a "red neck thing" to be supportive of the confed. flag. However, all of the rednecks I know say that it isn't so much as racism as it is "southern pride".

I mean I'm with letting the rednecks being pride-ful in themselves, constantly wearing camo, and their obsessions with trucks. I don't hate rednecks. I won't identify myself as a redneck, but I have a few redneck friends. (I absolutely hate the state I live in for a number of reasons and am so ready to move more northward once I graduate college.) I just don't like that they use a flag that represents so much more than what they say to be prideful in themselves.

14. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    No, it wasn't. No nation ever recognized it as independent, and they proved unable to hold their borders.
    And the KKK would say they stand for a lot more than hating anyone who isn't a WASP.
    I don't see how that's a point of pride.
    Contrary to to popular Southern belief, civilian casualties from Sherman's... activities were relatively light, largely because infrastructure was the main target and Atlanta's people were allowed to evacuate. I'm pretty sure you could find better examples of Union war crimes than that. Not to say that the Confederacy's supporters should not be playing the war crimes card, given what they did to African American troops.
    On that we can agree.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2015 at 05:46 PM ----------

Anyway, fuck the flag. It was flown as a battle flag, not a national flag, though the war, then stayed in a closet for a hundred years until the Civil Rights Movement, when a bunch of racists decided it would make a great symbol of opposition to MLK and started waving it around. That sounds like pretty racist symbolism and history to me.