1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your Hogwarts House?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Benny Boi, Nov 1, 2017.

?

What's your Hogwarts House?

1. Gryffindor

16.2%
  2. Slytherin

24.3%
  3. Ravenclaw

32.4%
  4. Hufflepuff

27.0%
  1. Benny Boi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Slytherin!

You can find out what house you're in here ==> https://www.pottermore.com/
    (You have to sign up, but you don't have to use it after the quiz)

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slytherin

3. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ravenclaw at Hogwarts and Pukwudgie at Illvermorny.

4. kayaz

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get hufflepuff and griffindor pretty 50/50 (griffinpuff)

5. The pottermore quiz put me in gryffindor but I am conflicted about it. So who knows lol

6. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I tend to straddle Gryffindor and Slytherin, so I guess I’m Slytherdor? :lion_face::snake:

7. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Slytherin. I don't remember my Ilvermorny house but I think it might've been Pukwudgie.

8. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gryffindor because I got sorted into it at a Harry Potter event. I'm not into Pottermore, so fuck that and I don't' care.

9. Alexis17

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a proud Hufflepuff :grin:

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ravenclaw

11. Loves books

I did the pottermore quiz twice with two different email addresses and got hufflepuff twice. Then the Harry Potter society in my college also put me in Hufflepuff during the sorting ceremony so I guess I'm stuck.

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Puff pride, here!

13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ravenclaw, which feels right to me. :slight_smile:

14. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Proud Ravenclaw here! Thunderbird at Ilvermorny.

15. KLSW13

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ravenclaw!!!!

16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read somewhere that the Hogwarts houses closely correlate with the four elements (Earth, fire, water and air) so what you're really asking is "What elemental would you be?". Ravenclaw is air, Slytherin is water, Gryffindor is fire, and Hufflepuff is Earth.

These four elements are common in works of fiction that contain magic. W.I.T.C.H, Harry Potter, Nowhere boys, ect. The list goes on. Basically, it's a common theme, and I really admire the symbolism in Harry Potter.

Ravenclaw goes for bird symbols (Eagle if you go by book standards, Raven if you go by the movies) which is fitting considering that it's the house which is linked to air control, and Ravenclaw's common room is located at the top of the castle. The perfect habitat for a bird, and an air elemental.

The same goes for the other houses. Slytherin is close to the lake, fitting for the element of water, and also low down in the dungeons...a perfect place for snakes.

Gryffindor has warm colours that reflect that of a lion, and also that of fire. Hufflepuff's common room is like a badger burrow, not to mention it's close to the Earth...

If you go by Pottermore, then technically I've been sorted into every house at one point or another. So I feel like I could claim to belong to any of the houses if I so wished. However, I should probably consider that who I was at 11 (the typical age of sorting) and who I am now, well...we're fairly different people.

Add into the mix that if I had gone to Hogwarts instead of my secondary school, then I could've ended up a very different person. I'd be in an environment that's different to any environment I've so far experienced.

The thing is, I feel like someone's sorting could have a drastic impact on how they view themselves, and how they conduct their behaviour around others. Not to mention the fact that our personality changes over time (especially as we go through puberty and develop into adults) so someone could start off acting like a Hufflepuff, but by the end of Hogwarts they identify more with Slytherin.

When it comes to the sorting hat...I've always wondered if it takes this into account, that perhaps it can predict how someone will turn out instead of just how they present as an 11 year old. What we value can change as well, a student may value ambition more than anything at the start of the first year, and come to value bravery or loyalty more at the end of their studies.

Which makes me wonder...what exactly is the point of Hogwarts houses? I get why they became a thing, to pay respects to the values of the original founders of Hogwarts, but I have to wonder if they truly benefit students or just hold them back. In Nowhere boys, they are adamant that the elements are strongest when they are together, whereas in Harry Potter they take special measures to make sure that they stay separate.

I suppose the idea is that it's easier for the students to settle into the school if they are around students that have similar personalities to one another. But, would this negatively impact on the social skills of students? Making it harder for them to interact with people who differ from them?

When you think about it, Hogwarts provides the perfect breeding ground for hatred and prejudice. It's the perfect place for a "us VS them" mentality to occur, and keeping students separate means that they are only getting input back from their house, which only serves to reaffirm any negative beliefs that they may hold towards the other houses. The psychology when it comes to Hogwarts is definitely concerning.

I've always wondered about Slytherin, because for a house that values leadership...it must be hard to pick one. Think about it. If everyone wants to lead, no one does. Maybe Nowhere boys had it right all along...

Although it is fun to discuss what house I'd be in, I'd hate to actually go to a school like Hogwarts. To be labelled from day one and have to deal with the social expectations, stereotypes/assumptions, and rejections that come with that label (Oh, you're a Slytherin? Must be evil.) When I think about Slytherin...I think about "There's a man in the woods". Aka a YouTube video where a child spreads a rumour that starts out false, but becomes true when the rumour ruins a man's reputation, and fuelled by rage and pure emotion the man seeks revenge. I've posted it below, but it gets pretty dark...so if you're not in a great place mentally right now, I would suggest you skip this one.

It's beautifully written and expertly conveyed. If there was ever a perfect way to represent a self-fulfilling prophecy, it's that video. When I think about Slytherin, I see a self-fulfilling prophecy. People expect the worst from Slytherin, never really giving them the chance, so what do they do? They seek comfort in one another of course, they bond over their mutual hatred of the other houses. "How dare they assume those things about us?" Slytherins wonder. Over time they bond as they relate to one another, and Death Eaters and other dark forces prey on this forced feeling of victimisation and use it as a means to recruit people when they feel at their lowest, by offering them the one thing they desire the most, to belong.

Of course, it's not just Slytherin students that can be sucked into bad organisations, but with the preexisting prejudice that looms over Slytherin (which isn't helped with the fact that the founding member in charge of Slytherin wasn't exactly liked for obvious reasons) they are easy prey when it comes to self-pity and feeling victimised.

All this makes me wonder if the other wizarding schools are happier than Hogwarts...

But to answer your original question, I like Ravenclaw and Slytherin the most. Sometimes I get Gryffindor, and although yes I can be brave at times...I've never really related to Gryffindor much really, and I don't think I'd fit in much in that house. I admire Hufflepuff, and that was the first house that I got put in on Pottermore when I was 11. However, it's rare for me to get that result these days. When it comes to being hardworking....I'm a little lacking. Sure, I'll attempt to do a lot...I do have the ambition of a Slytherin...but I often attempt to do too much, and don't plan it out well enough, which leads to me just procrastinating instead of working when I've realised that I've bitten off more than I can chew...so to speak.

I like Ravenclaw because they put a lot of emphasis on Individualism, and creativity. They also don't judge you on whatever it is you want to study, and the welcome letter made me think "Hey, this sounds like my kind of place!". I like to think of myself as witty, and I do believe that wisdom is important...but learning? Hmm...well, I never really enjoyed school much because I was stuck learning things that I didn't enjoy, but if I was at a magic school then I'd probably want to know how magic works, and not just the spells but if the magic itself as any sort of consciousness, and why it reacts to those particular words, and how people discovered this, and when they discovered it, and about the physical differences between muggles and witches/wizards.

Although, if I were put in Ravenclaw then there would be a lot of pressure on me to perform well in my exams, and I hate exams and I would equally hate that kind of pressure. But, Ravenclaws do seem like they'd be pretty cool people to hang out with, although obviously the welcome letter was biased. I also liked the welcome letter for Slytherin, but I wasn't too keen on the one for Gryffindor.

In terms of common rooms, Hufflepuff sounds nice (especially with the heated beds) it sounds so warm, cosy and comforting...although as someone who gets claustrophobic easily, it isn't completely ideal. Nice location though, and I'm pretty good at remembering tunes so knowing the password should be easy enough. Although, if I get it wrong then there's a chance I could get soaked in vinegar...and I HATE vinegar! Would I really want to risk that?

Ravenclaw has nice scenic views, but you would have to figure out a philosophical question each time to get in and it'd be an absolute pain if you forgot some books, and had to get back in while you're in a hurry! Plus, I believe there's a time and place for such questions, so I'd probably get sick of that statue.

Slytherin's common room is nice and cooling, especially since it's near a lake. But, it's also in a dungeon...so it's a fairly creepy atmosphere. Kind of cool though...I like the colour scheme.

Gryffindor has nice bright colours, not great if you've had a few too many butterbeers! Yeah, it's alright. Often destroyed though since brave heroes keep fighting in it and all. :grin:

To sum up in a ranking:

Common room favourite: Slytherin.

Favourite house(s): Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

What my family think I am: Ravenclaw

How my friends see me: Slytherin, and occasionally Hufflepuff.

Least favourite house: Gryffindor

The values I value the most: Ravenclaw

And the values I identify with: Slytherin and Ravenclaw.

Diagnosis: Slytherclaw/ Raverin with too much time on her hands. :grin:

17. Ben Shanon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Slytherin, because uhhhhhhhhh, i like snakes? XD

18. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neville was sorted into Griffindor and growing up turned out to be courageous (he killed Nagini, btw). And at first year he dared to try to convince Harry+Ron+Hermione not to break the rules by going out from the common room at night and they immobilized him.

#18 Crisalide, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  19. Benny Boi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neville was also deathly afraid of Snape (as shown by the Boggart), which meant Neville faced his greatest fear every potions class.

20. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Slytherin. But I knew that before I ever took the quiz.