1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your coming out story?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AdityaD, Jan 5, 2018.

1. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At 51 the first time I came out to any one was to my wife! I just started crying she asked ‘was it to do with my sexuality’ she always thought I was bi. I said I was gay ….. that went down like a lead balloon. We managed to have a good relationship for 11 years, but now we are going through a divorce and still staying the best of friends.

I told my youngest brother in an argument. That was the first time he was ever speechless.

I came out to the rest of my family via a text. Their reaction was both supportive and so what at the same time.

The typical reaction at work was along the lines of ‘I didn’t know that about you’ and then back to normal conversation.

In the my running club I came out as part of telling them that I was getting a divorce. The conversation nearly always focused on the difficulties of the divorce process. A few of them have entered our local 'pride 5k' road race.

Generally nobody is that bothered!!!!

I'm still shocked by the fact that it's ok to be me and people will still like me.

Ireland has changed utterly from when I was young.

MBM4K54 likes this.
  2. Solillith

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    5 people in my life know. I'm from a very uber conservative family and area where people like me are at minimum shamed at worst beaten up. So now that you all know that I'll tell about how I came out to the few that know.

4 of them are cousins and one of the is an unknowing cousins wife.

The first to know was one of my little cousins. He was trying to pick on me and said "cowboys butts drive you nuts." I don't know what came over me but I said yeah they do and so does the rest of them. Then I threatened to hurt him if he told anyone lol. I was like 14. He's cool with it now.

The next was a cousin who thought I was flirting with his girlfriend. I had to explain that it wasn't like that and that she wasn't my type. He thought I was putting down on her and got mad. I finally just busted out dude I'm gay. Now he tried to hook me up with random guys but he so don't know my type.

The next cousin I took for a ride and just told him. He still talkes to me but he don't really like me now.

The last cousin just turned 17 and is one of my friends. She's very open minded. Her mom is lesbian so I felt like I should share that part of me with her. I decided to show her a pic of the guy I Was talking to and asked what she thought. She said he's cute who is he. I said my boyfriend. She almost passed out lol. She's still a really great friend.

The last person that knows is a cousin that don't knows wife. I thought we were friends but she is being hard to deal with. She has kept it to her self but she throws it out there under her breath when I can hear. It's almost like she wants to blackmail me with it.

3. HDIGH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am so sorry you're facing such ddifficulties! Hugs to you!
    I will say though, your story about your 2nd cousin made me chuckle. At least that one ended up supportive even if slightly clueless lol.

4. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my aunt when I saw her for my 18th birthday. I told her I had something to tell her and she looked nervous. I said I'm gay. She asked if I had anything else to tell her and I said no. She then said "Oh, that's fine, I thought you were going to tell me you were dropping out of high school now that you are 18. You can be gay just stay in school". I told her I had no plans of dropping out so the rest of the night was fine and she accepts me.

5. Solillith

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thank you