1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the dumbest anti-gay or anti-gay marriage argument you've ever heard?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Ridiculous

The irony is that it is an evolutionary advantage for the close relatives of ducks, swans, to be gay. Gay male pairings that steal the eggs of other swans (or mate with a female and then kick her out after she lays) are more able to defend their nests and their young subsequently have better survival rates.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If gay people can get married, then marriage will be less special. "Special," indeed.

3. IanGallagher

The dog thing. I had to cut together a video for an LGBT community political group and we got this video I had to edit of a preacher who went on and on about how it was wrong, sinful, and how loving someone of the same gender is just like loving a dog - he then went into berating whether dogs should get married. It was really weird, creepy, and oddly funny in how backwards he is. Kind of like a caricature or something.

4. Ticklish Fish

I remember reading somewhere that some people are crazy enough to "wed" each other's dogs and have ceremonies for them... Ok, they are rich and have the money... (!)

So did he just offend the whold, dog-loving americans? lol (i like hamsters better)

5. Praetor

Well, there are many dumb anti-gay arguments. Usually it's most dumb to believe very seriously in an argument which is not actually logically supported.
    For example, one particular political group believes that just because people have been doing something one way for many years makes it right without question. Using this logic, you could also say bullying, crime, sexism and racism are right because they have all historically been around for a while.
    Case and point:
    We The People: A Restoration of Constitutional Government - GOP

6. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate the slippery slope argument that allowing gays to marry will open up marriage to basically anything—marriage to animals, marriage to inanimate objects, etc.

People also compare gay couples being together to things like incest, and some say it's even worse than incest.

I also hate when people say it's "not natural." What's "natural" anyways?!

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

"Homosexuality is GAY" has always been a personal favorite of mine...

It's not like there's any such thing as an intelligent anti-homosexuality argument anyways though

8. Ticklish Fish

Marry to fictional characters have already happened in Japan...

9. greg56

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the Dumbest thing I've ever heard was uttered by my "Chritian" Uncle and that it that "god was trying to ge rid of gays by creating aids", it actually makes me sick to think that a human being can think like that.

10. Ridiculous

I'm pretty sure I saw an article about a Japanese man that married a pillow with an anime character's face printed on it.

Memory almost correct, it was Korea: Korean Man Marries Pillow - Huffington Post

11. putresVigil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "If we allow gay marriage then what is next? Do we allow people to marry/have sex with children? Animals? Refrigerators?"

This is one I hear most often. It is asinine out the gate and wildly offensive on two fronts - one because it conflates homosexuality with a primarily sex based motivation. Secondly because it demonstrates a dangerous lack of understanding concerning the definition of "rape". The fact that people equate homosexuality to pedophilia is pretty offensive to me, personally.

"Gay marriage will result in the gay lifestyle being pushed on us."

This is normally a point held by those who mirror the first one mentioned - to them, acceptance of homosexuality would lead to a vast increase in rape related crime. Alternately, they could believe in biblical retribution based on the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. This oft misunderstood story is told today that makes it sound like Sodomy that occurred in these cities was a reference to homosexual sex or penetration of non-vaginal orifices on a woman by a penis in general. In actuality, a cursory investigation of biblical wording from the Tanahk seems to indicate that Sodomy refers to Rape. This is substantiated by the story itself since the angels who came to warn Lot were assailed and nearly raped by hordes of townsfolk.

I suppose explaining this to them wouldn't help much since they conflate homosexual activity to rape, as it is.

12. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

"It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"

I just want to punch people when they start that one.

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Most have been mentioned already:

But: paedophelia, bestiality, polygamy etc.!
    Gay = aids, therefore gay marriage = supporting/condoning aids and spread of aids!

It's not natural!

Marriage is for procreation, that's why we don't allow infertile or senior people to marry! Oh wait we do! (And know comes the kicker: ) But in principle they're still capable of procreation since they're male and female! :bang:

Because marriage has always been between one man and one woman! Hint: this is absolute bullocks of course. Marriage has had many forms including same-sex in some cultures throughout history.

And sadly there are more, that, fortunately, don't come to mind atm.

14. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Saw this on facebook and all the commenters (bar a few) thought she was unbelievably stupid.

Am I the only one who thinks she was being a wonderful satirist?

15. livewithoutlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to do the exact same!-.-

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2012 at 09:15 AM ----------

Dumbest I've heard is: "If we allow gay marriage, then we have to allow others to marry animals, or inanimate objects"

My question for those who say that.
    How are the two even related? I don't understand. I mean REALLY?!? If they were to allow gay marriage, they would have to allow marriage to animals or objects?
    No, not at all.
    Society is so fucked up (sorry for the language) but it really is.

16. PurpleCrab

"Because there is so many divorces and that marriage is a dying institution, why would gays want to get it?"

...It's like, hum, ok, well YOU don't get married then if you don't like it!! wow.

17. Possibly Maybe

Any argument against same-sex marriage is stupid. :dry:

18. Greendalehumans

I'm a Christian and a homeschooler (not really- this is my first year out of public school) and I don't believe in evolution. But I don't not believe in it because I'm homeschooled, I dont believe in it because I see all of the proof against it and it doesnt math my beliefs in the bible. I still didn't believe in evolution when I was pubic school.

I just don't understand how you decided that.
    Some Christians do believe in evolution, though.
    Lets not make assumptions.

19. "In some states it is legal for anyone to marry a dolphin so we should stop it s gay marriage"
    Not the exact words but same point.

20. kinison84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard a lot but my personal favorite is "if you allow gay people to marry the next you know they're gonna let you marry an animal" I'm looking at you Mr. Huckabee! It's hilarious.