1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it like...?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Midnight Flight, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Midnight Flight

Out Status:
    A few people
    Good evening, good morning, good day and good afternoon. Whichever it may be when you read this.

It's Wolf here, and I am actually very interested to learn something. I've wondered what it's like to be different in places other than where I live.
    I grew up in a very forward area, where the overwhelming majority of my friends are either gay, bi or lesbian. Because of all these different sexualities I have no idea what it's like to be anywhere that doesn't accept other sexualities (or even genders) as commonplace.

What was it, or what is it, like where you live?
    What happens in the schools when teachers are watching vs when teachers aren't watching?
    How many other people similar to yourself have you met?
    How do people react to you in public?

Anything along those lines would work, I suppose. If you think of something, I'd be glad to listen and learn.

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I live in a very homophobic environment. I call it homophobic even though I haven't heard many people around me, while growing up, saying hurtful things about LGBT+ culture because LGBT+ people aren't really accepted in general.

I'm firmly in the closet. So I feel quite normal when I go out or when teachers looked at me and interacted with me(I'm not in school anymore).

As for meeting people similar to me. In terms of mindsets, I have met them. But I presume you are asking of LGBT+. I haven't met anyone who was a closet or openly LGBT. Not yet anyway. :wink:

3. kinerd17

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where I go to school, it's accepted for the most part. There are quite a lot of lgbt people that I know of and I don't know of any teacher against it. There are some people that aren't very accepting of lgbt though.

4. Hexagon

I live in Brighton, UK. My friend from Edinburgh like to call our lives a radical queer bubble. Things like non-binary gender exist here, and I can walk alone in a skirt without getting beaten up. Everyone I know is queer and trans or an activist of some kind (most are both), and I never, never want to go back to the real world.

I don't know about schools and such though.

5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What was it, or what is it, like where you live? It's alright, plenty of charity stores, but it's a bit dirty.

What happens in the schools when teachers are watching vs when teachers aren't watching? When the teachers are watching we usually have a conversation with them, and when they're not, we have a conversation with each other. Sometimes about the work, sometimes now. [I'm in sixth form so it's not too strict.]

Our school has a lot of posters about 'some people are gay - get over it' but I know some gay people who are -phobic of other LGBT and some people are LGB supporters but not T, so I think there needs to be a more posters to address other things in LGBT and also not just LGBT issues.

How many other people similar to yourself have you met? No one in real life.

How do people react to you in public? Have no idea, not out to anyone. They'd probably wind me up if it was a specific someone I like, but about being [most likely] bisexual altogether, probably wouldn't care. About my gender, they probably wouldn't know unless I told them.

#5 Secrets5, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. Midnight Flight

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for all of the responses!!:slight_smile:

Are LGBT+ people seen as they're making a choice to be whom they are from the homophobic folk?

The people whom aren't accepting, how do they act? Are they verbally abusive, or do they get physical?

Does your friend say that in a positive way, or do they say it with a hint of negativity?

What I meant by that question is: Do people act respectful and polite while teachers are around, and then when there are no adults in the room they turn around and become abusive?

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

No one is really abusive, there's a lot of banter, but that's the intent. Sometimes it's even the teacher whose being disrespectful. It's usually the same.

8. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know many homophobic people. The only one I can think of is one of my older uncles saying that gay marriage shouldn't be called "marriage."
    I'm from Southern California.