1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you like to see added to EC?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If I did that it would be an option (like at ###), and not the only way.

2. InaRut

Perhaps with private chat a webcam option too.
    Then again that could get REALLY risky...

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The problem would be that everything in the webcams would have to be recorded for review by moderators. Because some members are under 18 we are legally obliged to log everything that happens here. It would be a lot of work reviewing it all and would take a lot of disk space keeping all the recordings. It could also attract more of the wrong sort of people to the site. I think the risks and hassle outweigh the benefits.

If people want to have private chats with webcams then it would be better if they used MSN or some other instant messaging system that supports them. Then it is not on EC at all.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah, Some guy might wanna play "sock puppets" and then EC gets tarnished. Blah

5. CrimsonThunder

Webcam action already happens on msn ^_^

>_>
    <_<

6. Nicknikko

haha web cam...
    lol...

7. InaRut

It was just a suggestion..

#187 InaRut, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  8. waitingsucks

Leave the Walrus Alone Guys!

This may have already been said but It would be good if EC could have more of a myspace-y look. Like having our profiles completely private until we accept ppl as our friends or buddies. I know that EC is a lot like that already but It would be good if we could request to be someone's friends with out a PM and when they accepted we'd instatly have added eachother to our friends list. Just a suggestion don't maul me!

9. davo-man

I disagree, I don't think EC should become more like myspace, I like it as is. Personally I think that if you wanna use a myspace like thing, go to myspace and just invite your friends from here to use it

10. waitingsucks

well... *punches* jks lol

I don't want it to be completely like myspace I just want it to have some of myspace's easy to use features and maybe make the main page and threads more colourful. The grey gets depressing sometimes. that's just me and pls some constructive criticism would be appreciated. Don't just shut ppl down at least give some explanation of what you'd prefer. Not that Davo wasn't being constructive *gives davo a big hug*

11. CrimsonThunder

It practically is already. Pics, comments, friends.

12. Kimi

Except for we can't put any music that starts automatically, which is just annoying:slight_smile:

13. davo-man

Okay, sorry my comments seemed a bit harsh before, Ill put it in a more constructive way (if that sounds sarcastic and bitchy, it's not meant to be)

Personally, I dislike myspace, that's why I usually come on a bit strong when talking about it. To be constructive about it, I dislike the method of personalising your homepage, the competitve nature of friend-getting and the auto playing music.

I find myspace to be very anti-user friendly when it comes to personalising your page, in that I think that you shouldnt have to go to a third party to get the page you want (To clarify I am referring to changing the font colour/style, background image/formatting and page layout. Other things, such as flashing banners etc arent necessarily included in this). In a perfect myspace, it would give you all the relevant options in easy, drop down menus such as we have. Now Im not saying that our system is perfect (do you know how hard it is to get a simple black background on the title?) but I much prefer just being able to customise font and stuff using our type of system
    Now I know this isnt really what you were referring to when you said to make this place more like myspace, but when I get in a rant, its no holds bars hehe

More importantly, though, is what I percieve to be a competitive nature to friend getting, and what I mean is that a lot of people (and yes I am generalising, but its from my observations of my friends) feel a need to have a stupid number of friends, like 500-600. Maybe Im socially inadequate, but I dont think I could stay in contact with 500 ppl and still remember all of them.
    I think that if we were to implement a system here where admission to profiles depended on your friend status, people would feel left out if they werent on a certain person's friends list etc. But more importantly, I like the way I can find out more about a person just by looking at their profile (not in a creepy stalker way).

Lastly (and my most important point) is that I really dislike the auto-playing music on myspace pages. Personally, I am usually listening to music when on the computer and when I go on a website that has any type of music playing I always immediately turn it off, cos it badly interfers with the music I am playing. I dunno if anyone else agrees with that, but I find it really annoying.
    Also, people on Dialup may find it really annoying cos it might chew up their downloading, and thus make the loading of the page slowing
    I know thats more of just a personal opinion, but I think that if we were to have it it shouldnt be automatic, but play if you press play, like the YouTube videos

Okay, just to clarify, this isnt a personal attack on waitingsucks and I didnt mean my post before to sound like that, more of general observations on Myspace vs EC.

But to sum up, I agree that this place definately could use some more colour or at least some new themes. I mean, personally I dont mind the whole blue theme, but I can understand that some people would want a bit of variety, however I disagree with the friends and auto0music points.

14. waitingsucks

Thanks for being one of the first people to be constructive in this thread. :slight_smile:

15. davo-man

That's alright, i just hoped I worded it as to not offend anyone

16. waitingsucks

nah that's fine, everything serious can easily be confused for sarcasm when typed so it's annoying but it's necessary to make sure ppl know or they'll get offended.

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Music annoys a lot of people, and also causes copyright issues. Unless the music is copyright-free (which would mean recordings over 50 years old or your own compositions) it could not be legally used.

With the homepage system, the developer is no longer with ###/EC. Until there is someone else available who has the time to work on it (bearing in mind that ### makes the money so gets the priority) nothing is going to happen to it. My PHP knowledge is such that I could probably make minor tweaks and fixes, but that's about all.

If anyone here is a PHP and MySQL programming guru and has the time to look into improving the system (for free), send me a PM. Some knowledge of vBulletin and Wordpress (parts of Wordpress are used for the blogs etc) would help too.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't it WAAAAAY more than 50 years now, anyway? I know the big conglomerates, like Disney and Warner Bros., have been fighting successfully to have copyright extended with respect to cartoon and comic book characters--I assume that's also the case for music.

You seriously mean ### has no on-staff developer? That's... wow, that's sad.

Oh, and I think self-starting music on webpages is pretty much the bane of the web. I invariably shut pages like that IMMEDIATELY if I ever come to any. It's just poor web design and pushy, plus not everyone has high speed connections so it can really screw up some people's browsing.

That being said, if a webpage starts playing music that is hosted somewhere else, my (admittedly non-legal background) impression is the host of the webpage wouldn't be liable for that because it effectively wouldn't be acting as "publisher" of the music. But really, who knows with the US and its regressive laws like the DMCA?

I have a constructive suggestion, though, although I think it may have been mentioned before. When you are viewing photos (and I think blog posts), the comments are listed in reverse chronological order, which is opposite the default order of the rest of EC. On top of that default, which I think should be changed, when you go to manually change the order of the comments, you get an error message because the resulting URL is definitely missing some information. So my suggestion is getting the order of comments in the homepages fixed!

19. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think if music is reissued in a different format (such as in a film soundtrack) it restarts the 50 year countdown.

I think there is nobody who knows much about how the homepage system works, and until they need to do something significant with it it'll remain that way.

That is a good idea. If we find someone who can help with this stuff here that'd be a good first thing to sort out. Otherwise I will have a look somewhen.

There are several silly little bugs in the system that would probably not be difficult to clear up once someone has their head around how the whole thing works.

20. Alexander

Not to be a noob or anything, but what is ###?