1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your reaction when you found out your orientation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shotonthechest, Dec 3, 2014.

1. vroompinky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was definitely scared when I started to realize it. Now I think I've embraced it, but I still don't know how to tell my boyfriend without hurting him.

2. kingLaser458

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    At first I figured why bother to label it, you know? My sexuality can just be something for me to mull over in my head. But once I admitted it to myself I felt much more at home in my own mind (if that makes any sense). Now I'm proud of who I am and I'm out to pretty much everyone except my family but that's soon to follow.

3. Sapphy

For years I thought I was bisexual, but I soon realised that to be bisexual I would probably have to have some sort of attraction to the male species (which there was none of).

It was then I realised I was gay, and I really struggled with it for a while and probably still am. At 22 I'm still not completely comfortable and out, though I take my hat off to those who are, I would absolutely love the freedom of being able to hold hands with my SO in public without worrying a family member will see us. :frowning2:

4. NinjaInTraining

My first reaction? It kinda became more obvious to me over several months and I kept saying to myself that I was bi, but that was just me trying to cover up. Therefore when I finally went 'ok I'm gay', it didn't surprise me. I was just kinda like 'ok'. It was only several months after that I started freaking out over what other people would think.

5. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

:eek: Oh... so this is what being attracted to someone is all about!!!

6. topgear109

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Shit, I'm gay!" that changed though to, "Shit, I'm pan-romantic"

7. Okulous

I honestly didn't have much of a reaction. My parents would freak out though.

8. Marigoman25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it was kind of weird at first and I had to be sure so many things happened not all good things

9. Reptillian

Just about when my primary sexual orientation died, I realized I was on my way to becoming asexual. I looked back and still think that I am not born that way.

10. dizzyCalysto

Out Status:
    All but family
    When I first joined EC, I first identified as lesbian, then bisexual, then pansexual, and finally just used the umbrella term queer until I could figure out what the heck I was. I though I was sexual for the longest time until I had a brief relationship with a guy a year older than me. He tried to initiate something, and both my body and mind basically said 'nope, :***: this'. We broke it off after that because apparently I wasn't 'putting out'. Anyway, for a very long time I had confused wanting to protect someone/be close to them with sexual attraction. When I only felt frustration and confusion while trying to figure myself out, discovering my true orientation gave me a sense of peace and confidence I hope will stick around.

Sorry if it's rambling. It's been a long couple of years.

11. EbonyDazed

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was terrified at first and then I was just like "Yup Gay" but I took time to think about it and was like "Well I'm attracted to both so I guess I'm Bi?" and wasn't really sure until more recently that I was defiantly bi.

And then I watched Carmilla and saw Natasha Negovanlis on my computer screen and was just like "Yup, defiantly bi but a little more gay now."

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I became depressed, confused, sad, and jealous. Than one day well I was taking milo for his walk I thought well maybe I should just stop pretending to be straight. Maybe I should just feel comfortable in my own skin. Maybe I might find a really nice guy. Then Ive still been slowly coming out.

13. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was shocked and really excited. I was 12 and I was excited at the prospect of having a girlfriend one day etc but it was scary and I knew it wasn't gonna an easy next few years.

14. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I had much of a reaction to me realizing that I'm a lesbian. I think my thought was " Huh....That makes so much sense now." Then I just continued on with my day.

15. C P

C P

I still find this picture pretty frickin' hilarious.

16. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I felt at peace, It was like I found a missing part of who I am.

17. Mr Saturn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just thought "well, that makes sense" and moved on.

18. Eli98

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When it finally clicked...after having thought about it all night...again... My first thought was. ' holy shit. Really'
    I was kinda happy though

19. Alive

sexuality: why can't i just be normal? i don't want to be so different! this is annoying and people at school can be so harsh about this. ugh. why???

gender: this is going to be a real pain, but at least i know who i am! now i have to struggle through the gender binary :/

20. CherryMagnolia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I felt like I just woke up from deep sleep. Reality slapped me hard. In a good way. Milliseconds after it hit me, I actually felt the urge to laugh hysterically. Partly because I was so glad that finally I had figured out, and partly because I felt so stupid for not figuring it out earlier (and for repressing my orientation/identity) when all my life I've been fed hints that I was gay. Then I realized that being gay meant I had to come out, and I felt a twinge of fear.