1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first HRT appointment like?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MaybeBenji, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    I've been in therapy for a month now and my therapist has given me the "okay" to see an HRT doctor. I'm going to call tomorrow to make my first appointment and from what I've heard, this doctor and her staff are all very nice. Still, I'm nervous about it all. I figure when I call I'll ask them to call me "Ben" but bill me as my birth name, I'm sure they're used to it.
    What should I expect my first HRT appointment? I've heard that the first appointment is general questions and blood work but I've also heard that some people start T that day.
    What's it like? I want to know as much as possible because I'm nervous when it comes to knew "trans-things". Day to day life I'm never anxious but when it comes to talking about being trans, I'm a mess. I'm a fairly private person when it comes to this kind of stuff. I only ever talk about it on here or if I have to (therapy and now my HRT doctor).
    Now I'm rambling.
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. Litebrite

Litebrite Guest

Hey Ben,

I'm also in a similar situation, my therapist just recommended I see a doctor and start on a t blockers and low estrogen.

I haven't made an apoappointm or even found a doctor, so if you get through your apooappoint first I'd be happy to hear an update on this thread.

Best of luck and I'm rooting for you!

MaybeBenji likes this.
  3. misschris

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    currently trying to gather the nerve to call my doctor today... good luck ben :slight_smile: i dont even have a name i actually want yet lol

MaybeBenji likes this.
  4. Litebrite

Litebrite Guest

Yeah neither do I LoL

MaybeBenji likes this.
  5. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just called and made an appointment with an HRT doctor! My appointment isn't until June 11th so I have almost 2 months to wait. On one hand, I'm okay with waiting because it gives me time to come out to my sister (who I live with) and possibly my dad (who lives far away and I never see). But on the other hand, I'm so sick of waiting! I feel like I've been waiting forever. I know that transition is a process and it takes time but I wish it would hurry up! I just want to transition and get on with my life. I'm so sick of dysphoria and therapists and waiting. I keep counting out how many months on T I'll be by certain days (holidays, concerts I'm going to, etc.) and looking at that "expect these changes around this time on T" chart and trying to imagine what it'll be like. Will I be able to sing along at the concert? Will my voice be too crackly to sing? Will I be able to pass? Will my extended family notice the changes when I see them on Thanksgiving? Will I have to come out to them? How old will I be when my voice starts to settle and I feel comfortable talking to people? How old will I be when I no longer look like either a woman or a 12 year old boy? I start to spiral a bit. Ugh. Being trans is hard. lol

But hey, the receptionist was really nice on the phone. He knew a lot about trans people and used the term "legal name" and told me that they'd only ever use that for my insurance and they would only ever call me "Ben". So that was nice. This doctor sees a lot of transpeople.

So now my original question is even more urgent because in about six weeks, I'll be in a doctor's office.
    What was your first HRT appointment like? Any advice for going? Any advice for dealing with the wait?

Thanks,
    Ben

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first appointment they just ran some bloodwork and talked with me about what some of my expectations were. They they went over what the effects were and how soon I could start seeing them. They gave me a script that day. Usually though, they wait for bloodwork results to come back before they start you are hormones though.

MaybeBenji likes this.