1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to wear at my graduation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jenne, Nov 23, 2018.

1. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys I need help! In a few days it's my graduation from my university and I will have to dress formal.. In my everyday life I dress mostly with men's clothes and I love it but I didn't have to dress formal for an occasion until now and I don't know what to wear!! My family and friends expect me to wear a dress or something but I will not feel comfortable with that.... And if I wear something like a suit and a shirt I don't know what their reaction will be... What can I do:frowning2:
    Oh and i don't think there will be any other girl with a tomboy look so I will feel even more like an outsider....

#1 jenne, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  2. tystnad

tystnad Guest

I went to my graduation in black pants, a dark purple flannel, and a dark blue jacket that I borrowed from my mother that was two sizes too large so therefore wasn't fitted anymore, and dark blue dress shoes (aka my regular shoes at the time). It pretty much broke every fashion rule in existence and it definitely was something different from what the other girls wore, but it turned out not to be a very big deal at all. My family was a little disappointed they didn't manage to get me into a dress, but at the actual graduation everyone was way too busy with themselves to even notice what other people are wearing. And dressing in a way that worked for me (well, I didn't feel perfectly comfortable with the jacket because it was still a feminine cut, but everything else were just my regular clothes) helped me enjoy the event so much more than I would've if I'd gone for a dress as expected - I'd definitely just have spent the entire day feeling uncomfortable and worrying about how people perceived me if I'd done that. Also, one girl I know surprised me by showing up in a full suit! Not because she's masculine (quite the opposite) but because being female does not mean you HAVE to wear a dress to formal events. It's been a couple of years now and I've only become more confident about my decision to wear (something that resembled) a suit to graduation - I don't regret it for a moment.

Unless it's literally unsafe for you to wear anything other than a dress, I'd recommend you to wear something you feel comfortable in - appropriate for a formal setting, of course. Want to go for a full suit? Go for it! Dress pants and a nice button up? Works! This day is about YOU, so take it as a chance to be you as much as you can. I promise you'll have a better time looking a little different but feeling comfortable, than trying to look the same and feeling uncomfortable in a dress. Plus, if you normally already dress in mostly masculine clothing, people probably already expect it from you, or at the very least they won't be too surprised if you show up in a suit. If not... they'll just be too busy with their own graduation to even pay attention to you. So wear what YOU feel comfortable wearing - the rest will follow :slight_smile:

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you 100% sure it will be formal, or are you just assuming since its a graduation?

I wore a suit for my highschool grad, but ended up wearing whatever I wanted to my university grad. I wore sneakers :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I just went to the ceremony, then took a couple pics with friends/fam and left pretty damn quick. At my university grad, some people REALLY dressed up, but several people (including a straight girl) wore jeans.

If you wear men's clothes everyday, I'm sure it won't be that big of a surprise to your friends/fam. And for everybody else, who knows when you'll see them again, so fuck em.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear trousers to formal events since middle school. It never posed a problem :slight_smile: As tystnad said, nobody frowns upon a girl in a suit.

Agreed.

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you want to wear a suit than wear one. Wear what you feel comfortable in. :slight_smile: Have a good time.

6. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not aware of a dress code for graduations. Unless there is one, wear what makes you comfortable. I think you'll see lots of different clothes being worn - formal, jeans, shorts, etc.

7. Jamie92203

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that you should wear something that makes you happy and being a outsider will be better because if your in something your uncomfortable it just make your special day feel like crap.