1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with old video games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BothWaysSecret, Nov 26, 2019.

1. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have some old video games from older generation systems (Gamecube and original Wii) lying around that I want to get rid of. The problem is, most people won't want games for old systems, and I doubt Game Stop will take all of them.

I have discovered that Amazon will let you trade in old games and pay you in Amazon gift cards. But, like Gamestop, they won't take everything.

I'm also considering selling them on Ebay or at flea markets, but I'm hesitant because you can get screwed over on Ebay either by a low price, or bad buyers, and flea markets you might not get a decent price.

Does anyone know of ways I can get rid of these old games, perhaps for someone else to enjoy without having to just throw them out?

Also do you know how I can dispose of old systems? I still have my Gamecube console lying around as well, and I haven't used it in years, but there are no cords with it.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the old systems, I know some people collect stuff like that and sometimes the parts break on theirs so they try to go find old ones like yours to buy solely for the replacement part it has. No idea how to go about selling that though. For games, maybe Facebook marketplace or something like that.

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’d see what the games are going for on eBay/Amazon right now. You might have to settle for a lower price if it’s a less commonly-known game, but you might get a couple bids from people who are looking for older games. Or if you want to get rid of them fast, you could always sell them together as a package.

I tried taking a couple games to a GameStop in the past, and they’ll just rip you off. If you want to sell them, sell them yourself.

As for the GameCube, you could always try selling it as a “parts” system. Or just let buyers know it doesn’t come with cables. You can always find replacement cables online so if someone does want an inexpensive GameCube, they’ll find the parts/cables.

I still have my old GameCube and Wii, I don’t play them as much as I did, but when I had limited channels on TV, it was a good source of entertainment (and it’s still my favourite console).

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Destin and @Hawk selling the GameCube as a parts system is a good idea! I'll try that.

I definitely agree that Gamestop is a rip off most of the time. I worked there for a few months around the holidays a few years ago, and was shocked at the trade in values people would get. I think they're better for buying than for selling/trading.

5. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. Like you, I had limited channels and I used to play them all the time, but then I got my cousin's Xbox 360 as a hand-me-down, and I mostly played that. Now, I'm keeping that for Xbox games that won't work on the new system, so I don't need two old systems lying around on top of the two Xboxes.

6. D Artagnan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would definitely put them on ebay or even facebook marketplace. There are some games from Gamecube that are highly desired. I know in my area that stuff kinda sells quick.

7. LostSeto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Message me I'll take them I collect games !!!!!! Do not thrrou them out
    Some games can be worth a lot have you looked them up online.
    Depending on the game you can get alot for it