1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to Do if your parents are throwing away your things without you knowing

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Justinian20, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Justinian20

This is just something I can't understand, my parents are very much hypocrites, the first thing they threw away was my concealer and that was a while ago and they do it because they don't like me wearing makeup because it's for girls.

Well it's happened again except with certain size jeans that I wear, I like to wear size 30 jeans because they accentuate my butt and fit well against my legs instead of going right down to my ankles and being super loose all the time like the jeans they want me to wear do, so I've honestly decided I'm not going to wear the jeans they want me to wear, because I feel like size 32 doesn't feel right and they want me to get size 32 jeans and now they've started throwing away my size 30 jeans because they don't like what I wear and want to basically force me to wear size 32 jeans. It is so annoying coming from my parents. Liike I am not a ultra conservative dresser, like all of my family is.

Like why do they feel the need to push conservative lifestyle onto me, can't they see I enjoy wearing the clothes I wear, surprisingly though my blue jeans are size 28 and they are the ones that haven't been thrown out yet despite being smaller than the other jeans.

How else can I deal with them, how else can I say "I want to wear the things that I want to wear, you guys should not have control over what I wear or guess what I'll begin to hate my body utterly and completely just like I did in my high school years." I feel like it's going to happen with them around, can't they see that what I wear now actually helps me feel good about my body, I don't worry about being super skinny, I'm okay with it but wearing clothes that are loose and aren't tight makes me feel bad about my body.

I just want to tell them that but then they'll tell me "oh you've got to build up your self esteem, you have low self esteem and then they don't do anything," telling me that is not going to help me build my self esteem, wearing the right clothes and buying things I want will make me confident, more confident about my own self, but instead they put me down for being a genuine person who is doing the things that will help him feel good about himself and want me to stay the same as I was in high school, which to me was not who I really was, I was hiding myself in high school, I hated everything about myself in high school. I'm trying to be positive but the changes I made to myself as a young adult have everything to do with me. When I came out I felt so much better, that's when I started to actually think, how can I look better, I started with clothes and moved to products.

I just want help how can I deal with my parents throwing away my things without me knowing or having any input.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a severe boundary issue. You're an adult and they have no right to dispose of any of your property, even if you're living in their house.

My suggestion is to address it head on. If they say a word about your self esteem, you can respond with "I'm an adult. My personality or mental health issues are my concern, not yours. You do not have the right to touch or dispose of my personal property. Can I get your commitment not to ever do this again?"

If you get anything other than full agreement, I'd suggest buying a lock on the door to your room and installing it when they are not there. This, of course, is a passive-aggressive but effective response to them meddling in your stuff. They will likely object, but perhaps that action can lead to a more meaningful conversation.

To a certain extent, while they have no legal right to dispose of your property, as long as you're living in their house, they can and will take liberties, simply because they believe they can... and they have most of the control. Ultimately, the best choice will be to move out as soon as you are financially able to do so.

3. Justinian20

I found my jeans at least, but the thing is I still think it was wrong for them to take my concealer from a while ago, I was using that and I was planning to get more into using makeup from there, at least though they have let me keep my multiple nail polish colours I have.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They have no right to take *anything* of yours.

BiDragon and DirectionNorth like this.
  5. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, especially for those reasons. It'd be a little different if you were 9 or something and had clothes with swear words on them- that I would understand parents confiscating. But this isn't cool.

I'm sorry, I don't really have advice on what you could do about it, but I just wanted to say whst I did. There needs to be a serious change on these topics for the public is all I can say. It's unfortunately too difficult for people like that to accept. I don't think they need to agree or even understand, as long as they just accept and let it go. (Although it would be great if they could understand and affirm, as well.)

6. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Install a lock on your room. Then hide your stuff in an inconspicuous and hidden location inside of it in case you forget to lock it.

7. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Taking your stuff without your permission is definitely not okay. As the others have said, get a lock for your room and if they confront you about it just lay out in no uncertain terms that you don't want them getting rid of your things. You're an adult and shouldn't have to be subjected to that kind of treatment, especially from family.

8. Resistant

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how it is, in my case I'd just throw enough tantrums and rage fits as result they would often hesitate to touch my sh*t. You gotta condition them like animals, make it clear there would be consequences.

Dont bother reasoning with bigots.