1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What sort of things do guys do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by smallbean, Jan 19, 2021.

1. smallbean

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi! So I have recently come to accept the fact that I think that I'm a trans guy and I just wanted to know what sort of things guys do? I mainly have female friends and I'm not exactly close enough to my male friends to ask them. I only have a sister so I don't really know what to do since I'm so used to being around female stuff.

I'm asking since I feel like everything I do is too feminine; I like to knit since it takes my mind off bad thoughts and I constantly need to do something, I play the sims 4, I wear hoodies (is this actually feminine? My dad has said a couple of times that it's gay for a man to wear jumpers and hoodies instead of jackets.), I also use highlighters when I'm doing school work but the guys that I know barely use them.
    There are a couple other things but I don't want to write too much so I'll leave it here. If you could help me out that would be great!

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Taking the things that you say you do that you believe are feminine -
    • Rosie Grier was a well known American Football player in the 70s, he was also well known for knitting and doing needlepoint.
    • I know several trans guys who played sims (this was a few years ago so I am not sure which version).
    • Lots of people who I know, male and female wear hoodies.
    • Having good study skills, even if they are feminine (and I do not think that is true, sure toxic males worship ignorance but not intelligent ones) do not get rid of good things in your life just because some people may perceive them as against the gender you want to present as.

I am a transitioned woman but I help people repair their cars and other things which is a stereotypically masculine pursuit, though many of my lesbian friends also do their own repairs.

I think that presenting as the gender you feel most comfortable with does not necessarily require that you sacrifice the things that you enjoy or make you comfortable. Dress how you feel comfortable and do things that you find fun. It might take some work but you can find people who will accept you for who you are no matter what your interests are.

RedPilgrim and Commenza like this.
  3. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    QuietPeace has already given a good answer.

We grow up in a world which throws gender roles/stereotypes into our faces which makes us believe that certain activities are feminine/masculine when they aren't really. It doesn't matter what you do, it won't make you less a guy.

As QuietPeace has said, go do what you enjoy most and try not to overthink this too much.

4. TGR682

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Men play shooter games, like cars, action and horror movies, collect reptilians.
    That's all I can think of right now. If you want then you can contact me via PM and I'll give you some more information regarding what men do :slight_smile:

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While many guys enjoy the stuff you listed, it’s a little bit stereotypical. Other people can enjoy those things and I’m sure many guys dislike some (or all) of those things

Hawk and QuietPeace like this.
  6. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was pretty much what I was getting at. If a person is going to live totally according to stereotypes then said person might as well live as cis het also.

#6 QuietPeace, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The one thing that I have learned through my transition is that activities do not have assigned genders. I tried to force myself into a very masculine role and that was not me. It is all about what makes you comfortable. Right now, I'm the guy that wears bright colors and depending on the time I've had bright pink, blue, green or purple hair. I like playing video games and things like that, but I also have my more feminine side. A lot of people see me as a gay male, and I'm ok with that. So, men can do anything, it does not make them "less male".

Hawk and QuietPeace like this.
  8. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Young men wear hoodies. Pullovers, not sure.

to throw in a couple of guy hobbies: computer games (everything except for the sims probably), sports, machines like cars but tinkering with anything tbh.

And I found myself to be very into masculine hobbies and style once I got to know them :slight_smile: or rather... I always found them attractive but nobody would accept that I did.

BradThePug likes this.
  9. TGR682

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I am aware, no worries :slight_smile: