1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What song are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Maddy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. I Love Dory

I Love Dory Guest

show and tell- melanie martinez

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    West Taxas - Greyson Chance

3. JohnIsSuffering

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Shadows of Planes by Duster. If you haven’t listened to the album Stratosphere, you’re missing out

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Supercut - Lorde

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What You Do to Me - Blanks

8. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never Give Up - Sia

#9448 BlueLion, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  9. Stitch57

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hamilton Soundtrack - Lin-Manual Miranda

#9449 Stitch57, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  10. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. ThxSens8

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  12. Robyn mac

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bought new stero equipment. Got back into lp's. Right now listening to the Best of the Animals

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Grace - Neverending White Lights

14. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Can not believe this collab exists and is available on spotify.:heart_eyes:

15. glitter lucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  16. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anybody ever go through these and listen to them or does everyone just kinda hope someone is, but not really have the time for it?

You know what, I'll do that. I'll listen to all the songs posted on this page and I'll tell you guys what I think of your music. While I won't be rude, I will be forthright in saying if I don't like it personally, though I'm very eclectic, so I'm kind of excited to try some new stuff.

Onward! Will post result when done!

17. glitter lucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do sometimes.

18. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. I've heard her before, though not extensively, and this is very much in her style. I like this song much more, though it still showcases some of the intentionally "innocent" sounds I find a bit offensive. It's part of her style, to act and sound a bit overly pubescent, even child-like.

Profiting from that while condemning those who pay you for it leaves a funny taste in my mouth, but the song itself is undeniable in its melody and message.

Has a bit of a "Look, but how dare you watch," thing going on that I respected in A Serbian Film (don't look into it) and I also respect here. Really interesting song, glad I listened! Thank you!

What a voice! Very Prince-like refrain, with a hip-hop flavored rhythm and a nicely blended mix of spoken word and singing in the verses. I like the little story it tells, too.

Some of the quirks of the melody, like the opening repitched voice singing is a little grating to me personally, but it's not overt and it doesn't keep me away. It's both danceable and listenable in a quiet moment, though I find the rhythm makes me move more than it doesn't.

I like it a lot! Thank you for sharing!

Not what I expected! Honestly, I mistook this for a heavy metal song, like shadows of monsters in ethereal planes, not a meditative and fairly inoffensive minimalist hipster-grunge song that grows gradually more interesting as it progresses.

Some of the guitar sounds remind me of a lot of dark atmospheric and experimental stuff I listen to; it changes the flavor of the song very effectively, lending some chaos and uncertainty, and it ends on a distinctly dark note, which I always appreciate.

It's a bit out of tune and a bit out of rhythm though and, while I do believe these were intentional choices, it's not my favorite. Also, the singer... isn't. It's more of a gentle talking. Again, I suspect from the nature of the song it's meant to be that way, but it's also not my favorite.

Overall, it's piqued my curiosity. I'm going to sit down with that album; I'm going to bet, as someone who typically prefers to listen to whole albums, this song slots in very nicely with the material around it.

Indy-style alt stuff like this tends to have good album structure. Thank you for the suggestion! ^_^

A surprising contrast between a sad story and an upbeat pop song. I like Lorde - wouldn't say love, but do like - and this shows off her range very well.

Fun fact: The quality of most female singer voices in modernity always sound a bit somniferous [sleepy/tired/slumberish]; it's a sneaky little tactic that circumnavigates our conscious awareness and interacts with the primeval.

When we are aroused, you see, we give an appearance similar to when we are tired, because similar chemicals are released in the brain. That's why people tend to have more sex before bed or at least at night.

This song is no exception to that. The problem - if you can call it that - is it's also a very good song. Intelligent and the story cuts down to the heart. It's very sad and yet kind of beautiful. I really like it! Thank you for sharing it!

The moment I heard that electric guitar line, I cracked a bit of a smile. Truthfully, this was a nice change up from what came before. It may surprise you to hear I like country music, but I do and this is very much in the vein of classic country - or REAL country as I would call it.

You know, about hard living and sometimes its inevitable consequences, but often told in a fun, cheeky, and really danceable way, when it isn't being somber and sweet.

I do like his voice too. It's not the most exceptional on the planet, but it's smooth and kind of soothing, like a good middle-shelf bourbon.

Fun little song. I could see myself dancing to it at a dive with a half-drunk SO on a weekend. Thanks for sharing!

I freaking ADORE the opening disclaimer basically saying "we know this will probably offend your ignorant, bigoted little mind, but your kids like it so don't be an asshole."

Otherwise... it's Buddy Holly, one of the Founding Fathers of rock and roll. It's never a waste of time to explore the classics. It teaches you music appreciation, even if you don't like it, and I personally love classic rock. It's the one thing I almost never mind listening to, unless I'm in a real stormy mood, and I'm not even close.

Thanks for getting this stuck in my head for the next week and a half, you big jerk. :unamused:

Does it betray my age to describe this as "Gen-Z pop?" Because that's exactly what this is. Electric melody, beat, effects, vocal distortion, everything. Every sign and symptom that I identify as a younger generation's electro-pop.

It's not really my thing, typically. The divergence from the "flavor" of melodies in our electro-pop is too striking for me to really get deep into it. I don't find them quite as candy-coated and irresistible.

That said, this song is a lot more complex and musically interesting than our generations', which means one thing; superior replayability. And the more I listen, the more it grows on me. I could see myself returning to this, especially at work. My co-workers would go nuts for this, actually, and I like it, too.

That's pretty rare... Score! Thanks! :grin:

The first few seconds were, not going to lie, a pretty big turn-off for me, bordering on obnoxious, but the song itself brought me back. This is just a really good song, very catchy and I like her vocalizations. More than most. This is clearly a movie soundtrack piece. It's groovy and catchy in a very universal way.

Like, I think pretty much most of us would like this. I can see some people finding it grating, but I like it a lot. I'm not really a Sia fan, either. It's just a jam. And the use of lesser-utilized African-flavored drums and melodic styles gives it a very unique taste.

Well, I have to give it to you. This is a great tune. Thank you for sharing!

Too broad, not going to take that kind of time for this project, sorry, but I'm not leaving you out in the cold, either. I'll choose the most popular song by views on YouTube and that is... the title track, "Alexander Hamilton!"

There's always been something about Lin-Manual Miranda's flow that has little jolts, jerks, and asides that I always found a little strange, and... dare I say "amateurish," but it's less on display here.

That said, I love him. I know his image has taken a hit, but I never bought into the hype here, so I always just appreciated it for what it was without explosive glitz and glamor and glorification. And this song has an undeniably epic quality, even if it sterilizes the image of a... complicated man.

Anyway. A great song from a great show. Need I say more? Thank you for reminding me! ^_^

That refrain, though... very nice. Very European, but I'm a bit in love with Euro-pop, like most people with half-decent taste. Those verses aren't great and it's very evident that English is a second language here, but I wouldn't call either really "bad" at all. They're fine, just... not great.

That refrain, though... that performance is good, too. Hers, I mean. Whoever put horses and ribbons and stuff on the backdrop is doing her a disservice. She deserves better. Great voice, too. Just a talented performer, you can see it and hear it. Singing that clean live is soooooo much harder than people think.

That refrain, though! I'm returning to this, thank you for sharing!

Mmm... sweet and smooth as Old Kentucky, ain't it? I'm sorry. I've written so much for others, but I don't have much to say here. It's so great, I just want to listen. Musicianship, vocals, lyrics, all on point.

I only dislike that I've never heard it before. Great stuff! Thank you!

Another one, eh? Okay, I'll pick the most popular song by the Animals and let me just ch- oh, it's "House of the Rising Sun." I mean, duh, right? It's only one of the most famous songs in history.

Certainly one of the most famous rock and roll songs to introduce melancholy to the genre. Before this, it was, by majority, all groovy stuff meant to make the kids bop, daddy-o. Not a song you drink tequila and cry to.

It's fair to say this song both influenced and paved the way for bands like The Doors and Iron Butterfly, and with them acts like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin - founding fathers of MY favorite genre, heavy metal.

Really, it opened the market up quite a bit - that's part of why it's remembered so much. You can hear it in the DNA of the songs. Go listen to "People are Strange" after HOTRS. See what I mean?

Anyway, you're probably a philistine if you don't like that song, or the Animals in general, so I won't ramble more. Thank you for sharing, and I hope your new setup rules! ^_^

There was a shorter version of the song in the music video, but I chose the full one for the real experience. I immediately like it. Voice is sweet as Hell. The refrain has a hint of intensity that isn't unwelcome, although I think I actually like the verses more.

That's the kind of voice you can fall in love with, really. Soft and sweet and yet strong. It's a fairly gentle song, probably a really good candidate for some cuddling and se... uh, cuddling.

That intensity in the chorus, now that I hear it again, isn't great. It's not bad. It just doesn't fully commit. It needs to be louder, a bigger and more intense wall of sound to match his vocalizations. It underplays it, I think at the expense of the song.

I'm not at all saying it's bad or anything, but it just needed to be a bit richer. It would've been if they'd had me at the mixing boards... and I knew how to use mixing boards...

Regardless, a very good song. Thank you for sharing it!

I hear this song a lot at work pretty often. I will be direct; I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it is kind of an ear-worm. It gets caught in the head, I mean. It's always interesting to see two people of such different genres singing a song together, as well.

I see why people like it. If I were younger, I'd find it equally captivating. I've just got different tastes that are already kind of set.

I'm in no way saying this bad or trying to make you feel bad for liking it. Truthfully, I couldn't tell you how to improve it, so take my critique with that in mind. It's just not my thing.

But I still enjoyed listening to it and sharing that experience, so I thank you for being open and sharing something you like with me, and I hope you will do so again in the future! ^_^

It's an interesting contrast, seeing a young lesbian with an anime girl as an avatar posting a hip-hop song about mental illness from systemic oppression.

Truthfully, this song... kinda brings me down. They have every right to speak their truth, and I'm glad they have a way to, but it hurts me, as someone who also suffers mental illness.

There's also the fact that rap culture in general is... let's say "unfriendly" towards us, especially girls like me. I hate to make such inflammatory connections, but it's a little bit like being black and listening to a band of Klansmen.

Even if they're singing sweetly about how much they love their mother, the looming specter of how much they probably want to hurt you still lingers, but I digress.

All that said, liking hip-hop is very common, these days. I know I'm the one who's out of touch. But I think it's understandable why I stay that way.

Anyhow, I'm sorry if I made you feel self-conscious about your tastes. I'm not qualified to speak on rap, and the message of the song is strong and important; I see why you like it. I like similar things. I thank you for sharing and being open!

---

So that's everything on the page as of this moment! If you read all of it, some of it, or just part of it, thank you! I suppose it would behoove me to share a song now, so let's see if I can manage one that most of you will like... Obviously, there's so many different tastes on display, it's impossible to satisfy everyone, but let me try to get most of you...

In general there was a lot of pop elements overall, some noticeable rap elements, a good dollop of bitter-sweetness, melody-driven choruses, and generally danceable rhythm...

Okay, here! Give this a try! No need to click or tell tell me what you think. I just hope you like it if you try it. Love you guys! :smile_cat:

19. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

20. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    DC, this is my personal favorite. I often wondered, as a teenager, when it would be my turn to find someone.