1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What people don't understand about bi, pan, poly- A PSA

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by InStandbi, Dec 4, 2018.

1. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So while I have been part of the bisexual community, a lot of hate has come out of the LGBTQ woodwork against bi, pan, and poly people. There is the common "you're only part of the LGBTQ community if you're dating someone of the same gender" or "you're not a real gay" (what the heck does that even mean?). And since I'm in a heterosexual relationship with someone I love, then it's always hard for me because people always assume that I'm just straight and appropriating LGBTQ stuff or whatever.
    Also, people always say we're more likely to cheat. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Bi, pan, and poly people are more likely to appreciate beauty in other people, but that doesn't mean that they are going to cheat. Bi, pan, and poly people are just like everyone else: pretty much the only reason most of us will cheat is because we're not feeling fulfilled in the relationship they're in. AND THAT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE.
    Thanks for listening to me and stuff. It just felt good to type it out and kind of say what it's like to be a member of the bi, pan, and poly community.

2. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for sharing so true

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to point out one thing: I know you aren't saying this, but not being fulfilled is not an excuse for cheating. It doesn't justify it, as the cheater could instead talk to his/her partner about it and end the relationship if needed. Cheating is never a good idea, and it is never justifiable.

But you are completely right when you say that we aren't "more likely to cheat". We are indeed just like everyone else: There are straight/bi/gay/lesbian/+ cheaters and there are those who aren't. Being attracted to more than one gender doesn't mean you can be completely happy and faithful in a monogamous relationship, just like a straight monogamous man who likes both tall and short women doesn't need both to be in a happy relationship.
    From The Bisexual Index