1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What my conservative sister said about LGBT folks just stunned me!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jjc76, Jul 11, 2016.

1. DemiNic

I don't wanna offend anyone here. I just wanna say something that is hopefully funny while making a small point. So please if anyone is religious here, I do not mean this maliciously

You say that the church may be telling a lie to your sister? Just saying that it might not be the first lie they've ever told...

(plz no offend, if you did get offended I'll hug you until you feel better)

^_^

2. Formality

Well, I'm just saying that if you are rational you don't believe in fairy tales from a book written thousands of years ago. If you are rational you don't believe in this celestial dictator, talking snakes or that an old man managed to fit millions of different animal species on a tiny boat. Just like 99% of the world knows Superman is fictional, it's called rational because the belief in such things isn't based on facts or reason. Also being "irrational" doesn't necessarily make you an asshole. I never called anyone an asshole.

How can you be "strongly religious" without being an asshole when your holy book tells you that homosexuality is a sin etc? Isn't being strongly religious basically to be fundamental? You see where this is going right? You can't both have the cake and eat it.

What I said is only an honest observation. In the end an ugly truth is better than a beautiful lie. At least in my opinion. I also don't think bashing a religion comes even close to what people have had to endure as a result of religion. So don't try to shame me for being honest when people are (among other things) being driven to suicide as a result of religious conviction. Or for that matter being executed or imprisoned because of religion.

My words won't kill anyone.

#42 Formality, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not going to bash people who decide that faith is not for them.

I can only say that for me that there are many things that I feel cannot be explained by science. Recent history has shown us that scientists think they know everything, yet we have new discoveries every day that puzzle us. We once thought the earth was flat, right? I choose to believe we are not here by accident.

I believe in the supernatural and the battle of good vs. evil. I have seen unexplained things by scientific law that strongly indicate to me that God and Satan exist.

Also, it was Balam and a donkey, not a talking snake.

Faith is just that, faith. It is believing in what cannot be visibly seen but what you can feel is happening.

People have misinterpreted the Bible. The Old Testament was condemning homosexuality in Leviticus because at that time homosexual acts were sacraments to pagan gods. Jesus never says anything about being gay.

I am a moderate, not a fundamentalist. I believe that have everyone has the right to believe what you want to believe and must make your own decisions. A fundamentalist wants people to convert by force, and I do not. A fundamentalist wants other faiths silenced, and I do not. They want combination of church and state, and I do not.

What I do ask is for mutual respect and not have my beliefs belittled.

I agree that Truth is very important, and I believe that Truth is found in Jesus.

I am not shaming you, but you need to stop fighting bigotry with bigotry.

And for anyone else reading this, I am not proselytizing, but my faith was bashed. I have every right to defend it. I am done.

4. Formality

Science might not have explained the entire universe yet. I'm sorry you feel that what science has discovered isn't enough. However unsatisfied you might be with science not being able to answer all of your quesions about the universe, it sure as hell does a better job at explaining reality than religion ever has. Of course we will discover new things that puzzle us. Difference is that science works to solve those puzzles, while religion is there like: "God" :shrug:

Good and evil can't really be objectively defined though. Everything concerning morals is completely subjective.

It is besides the point I was trying to make, whether it was a talking donkey or a snake. The point I was trying to make is that it is not rational to believe in talking animals, just like it is not rational to believe in leprechauns because such belief is not based on fact and reason.

I'm sorry if you feel like your belief is being belittled, but I am not going to sit here and sugar coat reality. If you want to believe in angels and demons that's your choice. However much you want it to be real, it isn't real. Unless it is supported by empirical evidence it isn't real.

What is that even supposed to mean? Truth is found in Jesus. Honestly I think you've misunderstood the definition of the word truth.

It am not bigoted, far from it. I don't hate people who are religious so long as they aren't hurting anyone. That doesn't mean I don't think they are utterly wrong about a lot of things.

Yeah, I admit I did make a generalization saying that rationality isn't religious people's strong suit because they believe in a personal god. Saying that doesn't make me a bigot. At best it makes me somewhat wrong since, of course everyone is to some extend capable of drawing rational conclusions. However when it comes to their own religion, religious people seem to lose all ability to use rationality. I don't blame them. It is not easy for someone to break away from a religion that has indoctrinated them to love that same religion through their entire life.

PS. Criticizing is not the same as bashing.

#44 Formality, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think this whole idea came about as a way for conservative homophobic people to compensate for the fact that there really is not tangible threat that the gay community poses to society. So they made up a reason to match the severity of their irrational fear of those who are different instead.

It's like they want to feel attacked so they can have something to feel correct in being afraid of and fight against. Not that this exact thinking matches your sisters. I think to a large extent this idea is just being spread around too, but if fulfills the same purpose of providing reason to nothing, which is why people are quick to believe it.

6. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This reminds me of how some men are against feminism because they feel it's oppressing men or something. Yeaaah, no. Just because someone else has equal rights doesn't mean they're taking yours away.

7. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *applauds*

That's so true.

8. Lipstick Leuger

And next on my gay agenda is taking over the local coffee house to make all the coffee drinkers there gay......

seriously though, I facepalmed so hard. There is NO agenda to 'replace' hetero marriage with gay marriage. There is NO gay agenda to make 'everyone' gay. There is NO gay agenda actually......what she is saying sounds like the religious hetero agenda however. They are the ones trying to make everyone straight......

9. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If she brings up this 'gay agenda' again, I'd just look really shocked, lean in and whisper: 'how did you know...?'